The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
OTARI MX80 users unite!!
Old 5th October 2013
Gear Head

OTARI MX80 users unite!!

As mtr 90 thread, can we also have a thread for MX80 users on tips, finding spares, fault finding, sharing any ideas about the machine?

Haystack
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

OK. I'm one and I'm in.
Old 5th October 2013
Gear Head

Hi voodoo,

Excellent, that's 2 of us -it can only grow!!
I have had my mx80 for about 8 years and had very little trouble
except it required all contacts cleaning due to the dreaded error 90 thing.

Not had to replace anything yet (except remote cable)although I might get the heads relapped at some stage.
Really enjoy using the machine .
Use RMG 911 and love the bass on this thing.

Hay
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's a very nice machine. I've had mine for 20 years and it's still running like new. The only issue I have now is track 24 (used to to be the smpte track) no longer passes audio. Heads are still in great shape. I don't think there are too many choices in tape any more. I'm using the same stuff.
Old 5th October 2013
Count me in and make that three
TrakWorx are you out there , i know that he is/was a proud owner.
Old 6th October 2013
Gear Head

Welcome aboard Roy.

It was a good idea of superburtm's with the MTR90 thread.

Voodoo, I assume you have swopped out the channel 24 audio card and
used it in another channel to check that it is OK?

What do you guys use to clean pinch rollers?

Haystack
Old 6th October 2013
Gear Head

+1 MX-80 owner. Seems to be a work horse and sounds great. I've seen the error-90 message before and it is either a bad connection or a voltage problem to the remote. Haven't had any really bad issues (knock on wood). The damper roller squeaks sometimes but a drop of sewing machine oil seemed to do the trick (you have to use a syringe to get the drop in there). I can't get my machine to calibrate higher than +4/250nw (+7) as I run out of trim pot on the rec level. So my VUs sometimes look scary but the sound is right. :-) I would to knowing there are any other tips or tricks out there to make the machine even better. I LOVE the fact that the machine has no fans!
-m
Old 6th October 2013
Han
Lives for gear

The 90 error is almost always a bad connection of the remote card in de lower right corner.
Turn the power off, pull the card out en push it in again and the problem is solved.
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've had an MX80 here since they were first introduced.....not sure how many years that is!
Anyway, only gets used about once or twice a year now, usually just as a transfer machine.
Old 6th October 2013
Gear addict

One of my Favorite records ever was done on an MX-80. The first Clap Your Hands Say Yeah album. Recorded by Adam Lasus.
Old 6th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy drage View Post
Count me in and make that three
TrakWorx are you out there , i know that he is/was a proud owner.
Here I am! 'Love my MX-80 24 track.

I've been using mine frequently for 15 years with almost zero issues. Extremely reliable and great sounding compact design. MTR-90 and Studer owners that I know tend to experience much more down time and maintenance expense than I do.

Long ago, on the advice of my tech., I disabled the HX-Pro and it runs quiet and clean at 15 IPS with very extended frequency response both top and bottom.

IME the #1 thing to avoid is pressing too hard on the pots when aligning it - they will bend and break because they are sideways mounted on the cards.

Aside from that, the few times mine has acted up I've been able to get it going again by re-seating a card somewhere.

Some of the switches on my remote are starting to get stuck, and then they get really loose after I use them anyway. Anyone know where to get replacement switches and how to replace them?
Old 6th October 2013
Gear addict

Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haystack View Post
Welcome aboard Roy.

It was a good idea of superburtm's with the MTR90 thread.

Voodoo, I assume you have swopped out the channel 24 audio card and
used it in another channel to check that it is OK?

What do you guys use to clean pinch rollers?

Haystack
No I haven't bothered. I never felt the need to have it and my priorities were always on other things.

I have a bottle of something called "rubber renew". It works on heads and pinch rollers.
Old 6th October 2013
Gear Head

Keep it coming all MX80 users!
Great stuff so far.

See if we can share any resources for spares etc.
I thought about buying a 2nd mx80 for that. But the ones I can find on the
market are just a bit expensive.
There are bit and bobs on ebay at the moment.

Haystack
Old 6th October 2013
Gear Head

Just read your reply voodoo.

rubber renew looks interesting.
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

Pinch roller cleaning..........some distilled water, a very tiny amount of liquid dish soap and a lint free cloth.

I used 99% Isopropyl alcohol for years without problems until one last time when it took a good pinch roller and turned it into goo. Oooops!

Still use the 99% on the heads and guides.
Old 6th October 2013
Gear Head

Thanks Rick.

Haven't cleaned mine for a while.
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

I was taught to clean and demag the deck at the end of each day of use so that the machine doesn't sit in a dirty state. A supply of lint free cloths is very useful when cleaning anything electronic. It is quite surprising how much debris a regular cloth will leave. I have enough for about 10 life supplies if anybody needs some.
Cleaning a 2" pinch roller with a q-tip is really a pain compared to using a LF cloth.
Old 7th October 2013
Gear Addict

I also love my mx80. I bought it new over 20 years ago. It was punished daily for years in a smoke filled room. Problem free machine that always sounded good. It never let me down in the heat of battle. Daily cleaning and regular preventative maintenance kept it happy. Even in the summer when the voltage in my old building would drop to about 100 volts. Rebuilt and replaced a few buttons on the remote. Had the heads lapped once and replaced the brake bands. It still works fine, but the Studer A820 sees more action. Unfortunately that's only a couple projects per year. I always set up the mx80 for +6/185. Slaves to a synchronizer, two bias settings, spot erase, and reverse play. What's not to like.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear
Hi folks!
I bought an mx80 about 4 years back along with some spares. It's total overkill for what I need. I had a bit more money than sense at that point and it looked so bloody sexy and was in such good condition with very little use.
The only reason I noticed this thread is because I'm not enjoying recording on cubase and was thinking of fireing the mx80 up and getting computers out of my studio altogether. I'll see how I go but there's a fair chance I will be selling. For those who are interested I'll have a look in my loft at those spares and let you know more.
Cheers
Brian
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

Hi Blackhound,

Get it fired up! Is it aligned and demagged etc?

Hay
Old 16th October 2013
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear
Hi Hay

Well if I do fire it up it would be good to know that there is help around.

I did put some time into the MX80 a couple of years back getting it synced to cubase with an XR300 mtc. I also have a Philip Rees TS1. I never did demag it but did clean the heads. It would be nice to check it out properly but I would need some help. I have the CB 140 and 120 but no manual. Anyone help out there?

I am running it into a ZEDr16 mixer. Being as it is wired tip cold ring hot do I need to worry about that. I vaguely recall concluding a couple of years back that it was not a problem just that everything would be reverse phase or was it polarity. The two are not the same are they? Does it matter? Help would be very gratefully received.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have had mine since 1987
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Sorry Blackhound, not sure about the wiring/phase issue.
Anyone else?

Haystack
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

I had a good tech to show me how to demag, align, clean heads etc.
I think it's worth the expense to have someone actually with you and show you.
Have you got a MRL test tape?

Hay

PS there is a thread here on aligning the mx80 (put in 'aligning otari mx80'
in the search).
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Sorry the post I was thinking of was:

OTARI 2" MX-80 test tones/calibration.

second post on this thread is good.

Hay
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

If you put in OTARI MX80 manual in Google
a pdf version appear at the top of the search- don't think it has
schematics though.

Hay
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Section 6:3 of the manual deals with hookups of audio in/outs

Hay
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haystack View Post
Sorry the post I was thinking of was:

OTARI 2" MX-80 test tones/calibration.

second post on this thread is good.

Hay
The search function here is pretty lame at times. Tried those terms and "Sorry-no results". Tried various shorter versions with same results. I did eventually find the thread and the title was exactly as you listed......

Anyway here's the path

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...libration.html
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search