The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What new gear is guaranteed to become classic?
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Zendrive... there's an 8 month waiting list and you can't even place orders anymore.
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Oh my God, how could I forget, MOON GEL
DUDE! You know it! +1 on the Moon Gel here!!!
Old 28th September 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
But the big question is, when does something actually become a classic? When the company disappears of the map, or the designer dies?

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Tim.
Well Tim, I certainly hope NEITHER in your case - we want you around for a long long time to come. Maybe you can just change the colour of one of the faceplates on your current designs, and everyone will go nuts for the old versions, and tell you "the new one just doesn't have the same magic"....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

www.damiantaylor.com
Old 28th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
But the big question is, when does something actually become a classic? When the company disappears of the map, or the designer dies?
Good question... It might not always take that long; all that's necessary is for the item to go out of production. We're already seeing this in modern modular synths. Grant Richter's Wiard 300 series has only been out of production for a couple of years, and those modules are already going for over retail price on eBay. When Synth Tech introduced the MOTM-510 Wavewarper early last year, it only drew a handful of orders. But when Paul announced it was going out of production last month, suddenly there was a mad rush for them. Last week, he offered a handful of more units with remaining parts in stock, and they sold out within hours. (Glad I got mine early in the production run!)
Old 28th September 2006
Everyone seems to think that boutique analogue brands like Shadow Hills, Chandler, etc, will become classic (i.e, hold or increase their value and desirability).

But what if all these brands (or newer brands) start making stuff thats even better?

I mean, if every boutique company is trying to acheive the best that they can, what happens if they just get better and better, offering more and more options at cheaper prices?
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower View Post
ashdown bass amps (dude you REALLY gotta track with that thing type of **** ) totaly kick your ass, kill your dog and make the mix **** everyones girlfriends brains out.

Um...well, gosh, as a bassist I feel even more of a professional obligation to check out these amps. Is there a way to bypass the "mix" part and just allow the bass player to directly "**** everyones girlfriends brains out" ?
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
I mean, if every boutique company is trying to acheive the best that they can, what happens if they just get better and better, offering more and more options at cheaper prices?
Something like D.W. Fearn's VT series of preamps is all of his decades of experience making preamps distilled into a box, so an extra knob here or there wont make much of a difference. Something like that, or really anything Fearn makes is born a classic.

-matt
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

manley gold mic heh
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
Everyone seems to think that boutique analogue brands like Shadow Hills, Chandler, etc, will become classic (i.e, hold or increase their value and desirability).

But what if all these brands (or newer brands) start making stuff thats even better?

The way I look at it is that these brands are not better now than all the good classic stuff (and some of the stuff of the past which is not the trend today), just different and still great sounding.

I would bet that the new 'improved' stuff in twenty years is probably going to have the same relationship, unless there is going to be some unforseen breakthrough in audio technology that bumps sound quality way up there or lets you get the sound you get from quality gear at a cheaper price. Somehow I don't think a breakthrough like that will happen though.
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Distressors for sure will be worth some dough. Also Royer mics.
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

i'd say that the stuff that is made in lower quantity (and the highest of quality) is most likely to command insane dollars years from now.

brauner vm1-khe for sure. and we use one every day. this is probably the next "tall tale!", or almost fictional microphone since 99.9% of recording engineers will never even see one. that's an excellent example. distressors will do okay in the vintage market, as will all analog crane song stuff, and the fearn stuff, and the manley stuff, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search