The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microphones for pop and rock vocals. Condenser Microphones
Old 26th September 2013
Here for the gear

Microphones for pop and rock vocals.

I apologize if this is a very unoriginal thread. I could not find what I was looking for with the search tool.

I frequently find myself feeling like I don't have the right mic for singers. It will sound alright and I can take some extra time to mix them better, but it's not like other times when the mic just feels perfect for the vocalist. So I'm looking to add more microphones to my small collection.

I currently have an SM7b, two AT4050's, KSM141 pair, a few sm57's, a beta 52, a Rode NT1a, and some other mics not worth mentioning. Of course, my best choices for vocal mics are the SM7b and AT4050. Also, my rooms sound great.

I'm mostly recording things like rock, pop, singer/songwriter, and some metal.

What would you suggest I buy for another vocal microphone? Or maybe two?

Where budget is concerned, I'd really like to hear two answers: one, if price were no object at all, and the other keeping each mic under let's say $2000.
Old 26th September 2013
The SM7b is great as long as you have a fantastic preamp and great conversion, however, it's a very "up front" mic. If you're looking for that beautiful airy all-around gorgeous sound there are two mics that come to mind.

1. Peluso 2247SE
2. Mojave Audio MA-300

Both are under your budget and both are stellar microphones.
Old 26th September 2013
Gear Head

There is no perfect microphone.. some of my microphones sound terrible on some singers but some amazing on others. I have experienced a $300 condenser mic sold at best buy to be better than some of the higher end mics such as a u87. As far a versitile, a u87 would be great on vocals, especially if its a vintage one, (not an ai) I also second the SM7B on rock vocals. You would be surprised at some of the songs that were recorded with that thing. I believe that having an expensive mic will only sound as good as your interface, pres, and room. Sometimes, just changing a mic pre or upgrading interfaces could do the trick with what you already have. Best of luck to you!
Old 26th September 2013
Here for the gear

I have found having a large diaphragm FET mic to be extremely effective in handling a multitude of rock/pop vocals. Tube mics can sound rich and charming, as well as ribbons..and in some cases are the only mic worth using, but a lot of them can be rather unpredictable at high SPL with novice singers. FET's have a large amount of the same presence and character associated with tubes but are bit more modern in the approach and can handle those fast transients a lot better.

Lauten Audio Atlantis FC-387 | Sweetwater.com

Lauten Audio Atlantis is a good example. Comes with 3 different voicings, which can help make the mic a bit more of a workhorse..one size fits all kind of application.

I would also give a +1 to the mojave..they make both tube and fet version of the larger diaphragm series.
Old 27th September 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCam View Post
There is no perfect microphone.. some of my microphones sound terrible on some singers but some amazing on others. I have experienced a $300 condenser mic sold at best buy to be better than some of the higher end mics such as a u87. As far a versitile, a u87 would be great on vocals, especially if its a vintage one, (not an ai) I also second the SM7B on rock vocals. You would be surprised at some of the songs that were recorded with that thing. I believe that having an expensive mic will only sound as good as your interface, pres, and room. Sometimes, just changing a mic pre or upgrading interfaces could do the trick with what you already have. Best of luck to you!
Oh, I'm not looking for a one size fits all mic, just mics that will do what my others cannot. I know the SM7B is quite popular and I'm not dissatisfied with it at all, it just isn't always right. And just to clarify, I do have good pres, conversion, and rooms.

I've used vintage U87's at other studios. I was considering it, but I wanted to look at other interesting options. U87's are great, don't get me wrong, but I feel like they're a bit over hyped.

Thanks
Old 27th September 2013
Here for the gear

A lot of good stuff in this thread. Looking into all the microphones mentioned.
Old 27th September 2013
Gear Addict

Ok if price wasn't an option: Brauner VM1. That's a VERY up front mic. I used I on vocals and it was great.

Now, for singer /songwriter, pop, etc. I would suggest the Avantone CV12. They're not too expensive, I've heard a lot of good things come out of it. The Avantone website says Taylor Swift used it for all her vocals on her last 2 albums or something like that. Great mic overall, it tends to live up to the hype.
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

Try blending the mics you have.
Set the diaphragms as close as possible. Use the SM7 with the 4050 or similar approach.
You don't have any ribbons. A Royer blended with a LDC sounds very expensive.
Or spend a lot and get something amazing.
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear
Try a Gefell MT 71. Just as good as any U87 at a third the price.
Old 27th September 2013
Gear Addict

+1 on the Gefell mics.
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

This has no relevancy, but I remember a time (20 years ago or more) when you could go into a big pro music store in Boston, pop on some headphones, and try 25 microphones that were set up in front of you at their stations.

In general, the German stuff was incredible, but some of the Shure stuff sounded great for the money ( Sm 7?)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search