The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*Stay Away* Gear List
Old 25th September 2006
Gear Nut

*Stay Away* Gear List

stay away gear (crap) list...tutt Anything , mics, pre's, effect, etc... it can be yours, can be not...anything that you experienced it as a crap...

Priority on Mic's and Pre's - the main device to capture and produce sound...

IMHO Excluding monitor speakers, because it's subjective to ear to judge...

Thank you...
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Focusrite Trakmaster, unless you really like the sound of cardboard.
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Give me any mic and pre and I'll make it sound cool. No Problem.
Old 25th September 2006
Gear Addict

Mackie 1604, with every touch of a pot or fader makes me want to cringe.
Can't wait to get another 8 channels of a nice pre so I can huck this thing out the window.

dfegad Mackie
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

I'm with brother Jason on this one...

Much Respect...
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
Focusrite Trakmaster, unless you really like the sound of cardboard.
This was the first Mic Pre I could really tell sounded "bad". A cardboard box lined with tin.
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

stay away from.....

waves L3.
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

I too believe that most gear can be useful.....but here's a list of gear I owned that I consider to be offending and unusable:

- Yamaha 4416

- Whirlwind A/B boxes and cables

- The POD (mine's e-bay bound)

- New America-made Fender guitars

- Rode NTK

- reissue MXR pedals
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I too believe that most gear can be useful.....but here's a list of gear I owned that I consider to be offending and unusable

- New America-made Fender guitars
Come on man, I got a brand new Fender Deluxe Jazz bass last October and this thing is SWEEEEEET. It feels and plays like butter. And sounds AWESOME. Tone for days. Everyone who has played or heard it says it is AWESOME. I love this thing. Not to mention the looks.
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMHO Excluding monitor speakers, because it's subjective to ear to judge...
By that same token microphones, preamps and effects should also be excluded, as they're subjective as well...

If you wait long enough, just about ever piece of gear ever produced will appear on this list.

-Duardo
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Anything made by George Massenburg Labs. No Really! If anyone has any of this horrible gear just send it directly to me and I'll take care of it. Haha!
Old 26th September 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

Considering rent is coming up I'm feeling a lil' lighter in the wallet than I'd like, most great sounding kit I can't afford!
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

While I agree that this thread is kind of stupid I wll add something to it because I can honestly say it sucks.

-Drumkit From Hell 2....original DFH was a cool sample library and Superior/Custom are awesome, but 2. Kompakt instrument, no idividual samples, and horrible compatibility.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

My Pc.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

VST's ...
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

BBE Sonic Maximizer. Fo Sho.

Most stuff that says Hosa on it. I walk thru guitar stores and look at the prices on those things and chuckle. Damn glad I make all my own cables. Ain't no molded end cable gonna show itself in my rig.

Bomb Factory Slightly Rude Compressor. Won't allow any gain reduction without clipping the output. Real POS and lists for $395.

Lower end Martin Guitars that have the laminated necks. Like old Framus guitars but not as stable. A kid brought one to track with and we couldn't get it in tune with itself, and I'm a pretty OK tech. No excuse for that kinda stuff at the prices they're charging. If they can't make a workable instrument at that price, don't have a guitar at that price.

Most "How To Record" books, and just about all recording mags except Tape Op.

I know this stuff is mostly subjective, but all the above I consider wastes of money. OK, someone might have made a good sound with the BBE, but only once, ever.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Every time I have to transfer a cassette to CD for a customer, I run it through my old BBE. Hey! Maybe I should I run my focusrite trakmaster through my BBE. Probably work great for rap.
Old 26th September 2006
Gear Nut

Mine... my powermac G4... it seems outdated now...
Old 26th September 2006
Airwindows

Any current/typical amp modeler. POD, J-Station, etc.

If you gotta do that it's obscene how much better results you get from an analog stompbox DIed into the computer completely unfiltered, convolved with a guitar cab, that convolved with a room impulse

Admit it, if you're DIing crunch guitars at all, you're in your bedroom and you have all the time you'd need
Old 26th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I still use it once in a while when tracking or mixing toms(hold over from the big 80's).
Old 26th September 2006
i hate to say this but a thread like this one would only appear on the gearslutz forum. i dont think there is any certain gear that people should stay away from. thats like saying there exists a list of books a person should not read. every expirience you have with a piece of gear whether it be good or bad is going to help you in some way or another.

on that note: i think that the evolving line between pro-gear and consumer gear is being somewhat indistiguishable and if i could give one piece of advice is that make a investment whenever u can in an established classic piece of gear and you wont go wrong.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Lower end Martin Guitars that have the laminated necks. Like old Framus guitars but not as stable. A kid brought one to track with and we couldn't get it in tune with itself, and I'm a pretty OK tech. No excuse for that kinda stuff at the prices they're charging. If they can't make a workable instrument at that price, don't have a guitar at that price.
Yup. I bought one from GC after my Segul got broke. I was like, hell, its a Martin. Must be a safe purchase, right? I was looking at it one day in the light and was like, "what is this thing made of... formica?!!! Mad cheesy. If C.F. martin were alive today, he would be thoroughly ashamed and disgusted. Mine does stay in tune however.
Old 26th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I too believe that most gear can be useful.....but here's a list of gear I owned that I consider to be offending and unusable:

- Yamaha 4416

What?

The 4416 is an EXCELLENT all-in-one DAW !

aside from the STEEEEEEEEEP learning curve & SLoooooow CD-burning, it sounds & works great.
I'd love to have one again.
You can import WAV files directly into ProTools too.

I used one as a mobile rig for a while.
It is big, sorta ugly & noisy, but damn it works good!
Old 26th September 2006
Gear Guru

Ok ..what the hell..
I'll contribute to this bitchfest:

Any product made by dfegad Monster Cable.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

anything that involves AudioJunkie
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Ok ..what the hell..
I'll contribute to this bitchfest:

Any product made by dfegad Monster Cable.
I have to agree here. I have a few of their guitar cables and needed to replace them several times, because of the poor mechanical craftmanship of the plugs.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfuzz View Post
What?

The 4416 is an EXCELLENT all-in-one DAW !

aside from the STEEEEEEEEEP learning curve & SLoooooow CD-burning, it sounds & works great.
I'd love to have one again.
You can import WAV files directly into ProTools too.

I used one as a mobile rig for a while.
It is big, sorta ugly & noisy, but damn it works good!
Glad to hear that you had a good experience! I bought a 4416 when I seriously thought about starting to record at home about 5 years ago. I didn't have a computer and wanted something that was easy to carry around.

It was a nightmare from the get-go, not helped by the fact that I got the 4416 from a 'superdiscount' store that turned out to be a MASSIVE PITA. The machine came with the HD installed upside down (sic!), the store blamed me for it because of 'insufficent packaging' after I sent the unit back when in fact it was delivered that way.

Yamaha's official service in Germany turned out to be a bad joke as well. They sent the 4416 back without doing ANYTHING and I actually got in trouble with the customs here because of the constant to-and-fro shipping of the machine. (I'm in Switzerland).

So a lot of my aversion against the 4416 has to do with my buying experience but the little time I spent with trying to record with it was equally frustrating:
A tiny display totally unsuited for editing, even simply saving something demanding several steps, sterile and glassy sounding effects, there was a feeble but offending hi-pitched sound coming from the machine too that drove me absolutely crazy. But most importantly, the sound was extremely 'digital', totally unsuited for any halfway serious production.

For a 'sketchpad/demo recording' DAW, the 4416 was too complicated and expensive. For a professional machine it was simply not good enough sonically and in terms of workflow.

The good thing was that I got a Digi 001 instead, started to learn everything from scratch and slowly built up my studio operation. Even when working with the Digi converters and a single ART preamp, the sound I got was WAY better than what I got with the 4416.

5 years down the road, I got a small but nice studio with some great gear and steady work coming my way.

All-in-one gear doesn't work IMO. Whether it's the 4416 or something like say the Line 6 DL4, it's always bout impressive features and compact design but ultimately unsatisfactory sound.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Wow!

A really shtooopid thread where people post their 'very personal' opinions about pieces of equipment that are on the whole usable.

What no-one mentioned behringer yet?

Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
I still use it once in a while when tracking or mixing toms(hold over from the big 80's).

I knew there would be one, and I left an exception for that purpose:

Quote:
OK, someone might have made a good sound with the BBE.
You're that someone! (and ok, so probably more than just once)

Someone's going to quote you on Ebay and thus drive the price of them through the roof.

Vintage Eighties Tom Sounds! Analog!

Old 26th September 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Give me any mic and pre and I'll make it sound cool. No Problem.
Good attitude. Especially, since this is such a subjective topic. Ya also never know when any piece of gear considered uselss can be correct for a given situation or add a unique effect.
i.e. spend thousands on a mic, preamp etc. only to be distorted to hell by that no longer used POS guitar pedal or pod.
i.e. spend $$ and time micing that perfect drum kit only to be treated with a POS effect to give the lo fi vibe or replaced by lo fi samples from an old POS sampler etc.

BTW some of the stuff mentioned is just out o' date at this point. Given that this is a technology based profession/hobby it's natural for stuff i.e. computers to have a shelf life. If you consider a G4 something to "stay away from" then don't bother buying any computer because next year it will also be too slow.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search