The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midas Venice F32 Mixbus inserts/matrix question? Mixers (Analog)
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear
Midas Venice F32 Mixbus inserts/matrix question?

Does anyone know off the top of their head if there is a way to use a compressor on the Mixbus and have it record pre FireWire back in the DAW, possibly by using the matrix? I know that just placing a compressor on the main mix inserts won't record the compression back in because its post FireWire. Does the matrix provide a work around for this?
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Head

I' m also interested in....
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Subgroup insert?
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Maniac

I recently grabbed an F16R, but haven't got it wired into my setup yet so I haven't tried this in practice. Looking at the block diagram of the signal flow however, it looks like the master>matrix path is post insert, so I would expect that using the "other channel" input from the matrix to the firewire input for stereo channels 29-30 (for the F32) should do exactly what you hope. I think you could event capture the master bus on 31-32 to compare your pre and post insert mixdowns. Again, I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but my reading of the block diagram in the user manual suggests that this is the case.
Old 9th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 View Post
Does anyone know off the top of their head if there is a way to use a compressor on the Mixbus and have it record pre FireWire back in the DAW, possibly by using the matrix? I know that just placing a compressor on the main mix inserts won't record the compression back in because its post FireWire. Does the matrix provide a work around for this?

The way I'm doing it is to use Groups 3&4 as my mixbus. I route all the individual tracks to only those groups. Then I route only groups 3/4 to the matrix, which I then override to output on channels 29-30. In Pro Tools, I create an AUX with it's input set to 29-30. This is my "submaster". Then I route the output of that AUX back out to the Midas, channels 31-32, which are the only channels I route to the stereo bus on the Midas. This way, I can place both hardware (through the group 3/4 inserts) and software plugins (on the submaster bus AUX) across the mix and monitor it all from the board's main stereo outs.

This does essentially turn the board from a 32-channel, 4-bus into a 28-channel, 2-bus, but for my particular workflow, I don't miss those channels/groups.

Dan
Old 15th February 2016
Here for the gear

Thank you so much Dan for this example. I just ordered a Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK but am not pleased with the overall capabilities of using outboard gear with it. Therefore I am canceling my order and will get the Midas Venice F32 instead. I've been searching around online all day trying to figure out the best way, or any way at that of how to use a stereo bus compressor on this unit. So far you have given the best plausible answer. I have read a few other ways, but they were a bit more (dead weight answers) although those other answers would also work. Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search