The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Balanced mono to unbalanced stereo?
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

Balanced mono to unbalanced stereo?

Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help me in figuring out some wiring I need to help someone with; I need to go from a balanced mono jack to an unbalanced stereo jack. Basically they need to connect a pair of headphones to a mixer's direct out. It's far from an ideal situation I know but it'll have to work like that for the moment.

Of course it's line level but it seems to drive these headphones sufficiently; the only problem is there's only signal on one side. What would be the best way to wire this up, keeping in mind the direct outs are balanced?

I've done some research but don't seem to find anything on this particular setup, and being far from an expert it's hard to figure this stuff out from the info available.

Thanks!
Old 7th September 2013
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrf View Post
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help me in figuring out some wiring I need to help someone with; I need to go from a balanced mono jack to an unbalanced stereo jack. Basically they need to connect a pair of headphones to a mixer's direct out. It's far from an ideal situation I know but it'll have to work like that for the moment.

Of course it's line level but it seems to drive these headphones sufficiently; the only problem is there's only signal on one side. What would be the best way to wire this up, keeping in mind the direct outs are balanced?

I've done some research but don't seem to find anything on this particular setup, and being far from an expert it's hard to figure this stuff out from the info available.

Thanks!
I'll try not to ask why you seem to think this is a good solution, and see if i can help...

If you a pluggin a TRS into an insert point, you have a send and a return on the jack (most likely T is send, and R is return), which means that you are only sending signal from the insert through the T-pin.

When you plug one end of your cable into the mixers insert point, you only have signal coming through one wire and into one side, because the T and S are seen as left/right unbalanced on your headphone amp. You only get signal on T(tip).

You will never get stereo from this, unless you use two channels and two insert points, but you can send the same signal to both sides of the headphones if you want..

Gustav
Old 7th September 2013
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post
I'll try not to ask why you seem to think this is a good solution, and see if i can help...

If you a pluggin a TRS into an insert point, you have a send and a return on the jack (most likely T is send, and R is return), which means that you are only sending signal from the insert through the T-pin.

When you plug one end of your cable into the mixers insert point, you only have signal coming through one wire and into one side, because the T and S are seen as left/right unbalanced on your headphone amp. You only get signal on T(tip).

You will never get stereo from this, unless you use two channels and two insert points, but you can send the same signal to both sides of the headphones if you want..

Gustav
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Addict

Try connecting Tip from the direct out to Tip and Ring for the headphones, and just connect both sleeves.
That should work

...but also try the Solo AFL/PFL button on the desk using the headphone output
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Well I certainly don't, but as I said it's not for me And it's for a specific use which is currently served well with this setup. But certainly a headphone amp at the very least would be preferable.

Quote:

Gustav
Just to clarify, this is on a direct out, not an insert, and of course, I'm not looking to get "stereo" but simply get the mono signal sent to both sides...
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeFiNeD View Post
Try connecting Tip from the direct out to Tip and Ring for the headphones, and just connect both sleeves.
That should work

...but also try the Solo AFL/PFL button on the desk using the headphone output
I figured it might be that simple, but being a balanced signal I wasn't too sure ... looks like that's all there is to it then.

Thanks, will try it out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search