The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good software techniques for learning songs from audio or MIDI?
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

Good software techniques for learning songs from audio or MIDI?

I used to use Logic to import an old song.
Use the beat analyser thing that offers peaks detected from the audio file.
Then you go through and pick which peaks are the beginning of the bars.
Then the lines corresponding to the beginning of each bar gets linked to a bar on the bars and beats ruler thing at the top.
This basically aligns the bars in Logic to the bars of the song by reatng a tempo map with changes.

Then I can assign a 1 bar loop and use MIDI notes to play, stop and move the loop forward or backwards a bar.

Then I sat transcribing drums bar by bar. Then bass and chords etc.

Pretty cool and easy enough.

I see a software program called MIDIculous that seems to offer some features I haven't yet confirmed.

I'm reaching out and wondering what software and features could make learning songs easier.

I think slowing stuff down without changing the pitch would be good if it was a nice time compression/expansion algorhythm.

Is there some thing that can analyse chords? MIDIculous seems to offer these things and works with MIDI and audio.

I have heard of transcribe, but haven't researched it.

I guess I'm being lazy and asking for some experts to condense their research for me.

Roman.
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

1. there is a hardware with a self-educating software attached to it: its called a musician with ears. upside is: extreme learning curve with nearly instant results in improving musical knowledge and: its free! :-)

2. Celemony Melodyne with DNA. not free and the learning effects are mediocre at best. (I assume, I dont know.)

seriously: use your ears, and learn something about music theory to get the idea, what mechanisms work in music.
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

Well to transcribe you do listen with your ears and use music theory to notate

Transcribing for me requires at the very least navigating the song section by section. Surely you would agree.
I am open minded about what technology has developed and thought there might be methods I am unaware of.

I think I could occasionally use a slow down feature without changing pitch.

I take interest in drum patterns, fill, arrangements. And basslines.

Looping a bar allows me time to write down the notes. Having a DAW set up to loop each bar easily is better than using my mp3 player and pressing rewind etc.

Drum fills and patterns for that matter are sometimes complex.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search