The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help please
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Head

Help please

So after a lot of learning and wanting to upgrade I am somewhat stuck at a point of not wanting to purchase gear I don't need.

For long term investments what is the best combo?

Interface

Interface + lunchbox - EQ, compressor, ETC

I understand some gear bottlenecks others but to what extent?

What are some good setup combos for under 1800 or so?

Any help would be appreciated - dont flame - thanks!

Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear
What's your current setup ?
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

targa I just want opinions - when I state my gear people will start being biased.

BUMP
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear
Here is my personal setup : Steinberg UR28M interface, Harball Lola into Lindell audio lunchbox, Oktavamod MK219, Equator D5 monitors.

Cheaper alternative: Warm Audio Tonebeast Microphone Preamp.
Oktavamod MJE Hulk 990.
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

How many I/O do you need? That's a HUGE factor.

And even if you go w/ one channel lunchbox, pre, eq, and compressor of 500 series, even the cheapest of each unit... you are looking at $1350 for the chassis and 500 series processors. That leaves you with only 300 for an interface, and you will be in the low end with that.

500 series is good for longterm expansion and flexibility... but that initial purchase of the chassis will cost you a 500 processor in the beginning.

FYI - I just started down the 500 route. Lunchbox and 4 preamps so far. Also, I have the Apollo Duo.
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for the responses dudes!! Mattchew - what lunchbox are you rocking?
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymelt View Post
Thanks for the responses dudes!! Mattchew - what lunchbox are you rocking?
API 500-6B

Preamps:
- Neve 511
- WA-12 500
- Lindell 6X-500
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

Do you think it would be a waste to go into a duet 2 or a quartet? Or would the apollo stump the duet 2 and quartet?
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

Also, what do you think about the Radial Workhorse Cube
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

lynx aurora 8, lunch box 10, ma5, quad eight 501, doublewide, buzz essence, 550b, a design ep-peq.....make music........
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

For the Duet and Quartet, you need to have Mac I believe, as is with the Apogee products. As far as I understand, they are great sounding if you only need a few I/O.

I needed 8 inputs and was looking to have at least 4 solid interface preamps. As far as I've heard, the internal preamps on the Apogee and UA interfaces are of higher quality than most interface preamps. The Apollo pres work just fine for what I need them for.

I actually made my final decision to go with Apollo based on the addition of the UAD processing and free plugins that came with it. I had not started to build a plugin collection so it was a factor.

As far as the Radial Cube, I'm sure it's fine if you only need 3 preamps/processors at a time. I needed more and I also wanted to rack mount my chassis; that is why I went with the 500-6B.
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
lynx aurora 8, lunch box 10, ma5, quad eight 501, doublewide, buzz essence, 550b, a design ep-peq.....make music........
I've been thinking about getting an a 500 series compressor and an EQ. The 550b is the one I was looking at for EQ...

Vintageidiot, you recommend? I'm looking for something that will give me some smoothed out high end on guitars and vocals. I do it now with good results with the UAD plugin of the Manley Massive Passive but want some outboard gear.
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

Awesome. Ya the Apollo seems to be a great choice too the UAD feature is pretty sweet. The studer tape plugin is epic too. But I have never been able to use it with the interface.

I am also wondering if the duet 2 would bottle neck the box. Do you think it would?

Thanks for your time and patience too!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search