The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Strange UA Apollo bug -- help!
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Head

Strange UA Apollo bug -- help!

I have been using the Apollo for a couple weeks as I've been getting my home studio set up. It has been fairly reliable in terms of serious errors/crashes, but a couple days ago I noticed a very strange phenomenon -- my CPU usage was spiking drastically regardless of what I was doing. Even looking at the desktop with nothing running, my CPU is spiking from 0 to up to 30% randomly. Under the performance monitor, the image triggering the spike is System Interrupts.

After a good deal of troubleshooting, I found that the problem was the Apollo. I have since then tried disabling and uninstalling any drivers or programs that could possibly affect it, tried disabling firewalls/antivirus, disconnected internet, etc. Nothing has worked. Yesterday I called UA and was told they would look into the problem and get back to me, but I figured I would see if anyone here might have any thoughts on things to try in the meantime. My system configuration is:

Maingear f131
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel i5 2500k 3.3 ghz
8 gigs of ram
Sonnet Allegro firewire card -- Apollo is the only device connected to the card
Asus Rog Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 670 graphics card
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear
apollo off

so if you completely disconnect apollo and shut it off, you never have these same spikes ?

How did you establish it is the apollo ?
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Head

That is correct, disconnecting the Apollo causes the spikes to stop. I have been trying to figure out if it is a conflict with something else on my system, but thus far I haven't found anything. When the Apollo is plugged in, the spikes occur regardless of anything I've done so far.
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

I reckon it's an issue with your FireWire card. Try to see if your FireWire card manufacturer have released any new drivers / firmware for it.

My apollo works like a charm over both FireWire and thunderbolt on a Mac mini.

Pc's and FireWire are generally trickier to get 100% compatible.

I recommend, and I predict UA will say the same, to try a different FireWire card. To make it easier you could just try a different pc/laptop if you know that the FireWire card is different.
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debussy13 View Post
I have been using the Apollo for a couple weeks as I've been getting my home studio set up. It has been fairly reliable in terms of serious errors/crashes, but a couple days ago I noticed a very strange phenomenon -- my CPU usage was spiking drastically regardless of what I was doing. Even looking at the desktop with nothing running, my CPU is spiking from 0 to up to 30% randomly. Under the performance monitor, the image triggering the spike is System Interrupts.

After a good deal of troubleshooting, I found that the problem was the Apollo. I have since then tried disabling and uninstalling any drivers or programs that could possibly affect it, tried disabling firewalls/antivirus, disconnected internet, etc. Nothing has worked. Yesterday I called UA and was told they would look into the problem and get back to me, but I figured I would see if anyone here might have any thoughts on things to try in the meantime. My system configuration is:

Maingear f131
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel i5 2500k 3.3 ghz
8 gigs of ram
Sonnet Allegro firewire card -- Apollo is the only device connected to the card
Asus Rog Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 670 graphics card
Is it possible the sonnet card is in need of configuration? I use the UAD2 quad on my PC laptop and prior to the 6.3 UAD update, I would get similar spikes but it was a traffic jam at the express card.
Are you on a laptop or desktop mate?
Like you, I had to power down the quad , restart windows 7 and proceed. Not sure this is of any help but maybe take a look in device manager at the port you are coming ITB with.
I want an Apollo , just not sure I'm taking that plunge just yet, I resent the need for firewire period!
Best of luck with this.

"It is difficult to make a man understand something when his income depends on him not understanding it." Upton Sinclair
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear
card or Apollo

I have been on the main apollo thread for almost two years and at the ua forum site and I have never heard this complaint before.

So, I wonder if is your card or something else, when teh spikes happen do you see any corresponding jump in apollo dsp or fw bandwidth usage ? If not, then I don't think it is the Apollo.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search