The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Source for unmastered mixes?
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Addict

Source for unmastered mixes?

Is there a place where I can hear some commercially successful mixes in their unmastered state?
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Addict

I am especially interested in modern "loudness wars" mixes that were squashed hard in mastering, or in stuff like Bruce Swedien's mixing where he avoids compression in mixing but there would have been compression added when mastering to vinyl...
Old 7th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicasaur View Post
Is there a place where I can hear some commercially successful mixes in their unmastered state?
I highly doubt there is such a place. Most professionals wouldn't want people to have access to their unpolished work. Just like professional photographers rarely show their raw, uneditted, un-color corrected photos. Same with movie makers (besides brief clips from behind-the-scenes interviews.)

I'm not sure if you're more interested in the final pre-master mix of a track or the effect of a professional mastering job. If its the former, I'd check out reading some posts here by Dave Pensado, and following his youtube series for a lot of good tips.

If its the later, I'd say just finish a track and have it mastered by a professional (well, at least industry standard hardware gear, assuming that's what you're interested in). Then you'll have your before and after. It wouldn't been a terribly expensive experiment.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear
Most of the top notch mix engineers, if you simply turn down the mastered version, you have the unmastered version (minus a few lopped off peaks that likely have no seriously perceivable impact on the sound of the record). Honestly, the top mix engineers, the mastering guys do very little or nothing other than a limiter or clipping their converters (either method a matter of personal taste) to get more voluime.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search