The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lo Fi Recording Questions
Old 6th September 2013
Here for the gear

Lo Fi Recording Questions

Hi there. I'm honestly not sure if this is a good section to post this in, but I was wondering if some folks could give me a little insight on current means of production with popular lo-fi bands (Yuck, Twin Peaks, etc.). There's been a pretty heavy surge of bands like these in recent years, especially over pitchfork and whatnot, and I'm just curious as to what sorts of equipment the folks engineering those bands are using. Obviously, I'm sure a lot of the stuff is analog, but what sorts of tape machines, pre amps, etc? Any specific techniques or equipment hacks? What are some of the best ways to get "bad" sounds (I say this in the most loving way possible, of course)? While these bands are going for a lo-fi sound, the production quality is mysteriously good and at the very least interesting. Any insight on this quadrant of the recording industry would be very much appreciated!
Old 6th September 2013
Not sure about the bands you specifically mentioned, but I'd say a good starting point is a Prosumer tape machine (1/2 inch 8 track?) or even a decent cassette deck. Dynamic mics and impedance converters or a older mixer (Tascam, Fostex, Mackie even).... None of these bands are using high end equipment to get trashy sounds.

When I'm going for these kinds of sounds, I tend to use an old 4 channel mono Boss mixer, a Tascam 424 mkii, and mostly 57s and EV RE11s. Make sure you have the right instruments etc- old Fender guitars (or random offbrands and such), Fender amps, delay and fuzz pedals, ****ty drums, cheap drum machines, cracked cymbals, p bass or an old semi hollow bass, old mood and Roland Juno series analog synths... These tend to all be mainstays of the lo-fi/atmospheric/indie world. Bottom line is- use the tools you have and make it work. It's a lot more about vibe and ethos than equipment.
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Maniac

The Tascam 388 is one answer you may be looking for. An reel to reel tape deck built into the console...been popular for a while for low fi, mid fi type recording techniques.

Here's a cool video of a 388 in action with some spring verb "drops" which are cool. Away dub - live mix at Bakery studio - YouTube
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Earnhardt View Post
The Tascam 388 is one answer you may be looking for. An reel to reel tape deck built into the console...been popular for a while for low fi, mid fi type recording techniques.

Here's a cool video of a 388 in action with some spring verb "drops" which are cool. Away dub - live mix at Bakery studio - YouTube
What a great machine.....I need to track one of these down in Canada.
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurratic View Post
What a great machine.....I need to track one of these down in Canada.
Yeah. These are pretty damn nice machines.
I own 2 of them.And Im in Canada.The thing is, they seem to come up for sale rarely up in the north here.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search