The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer a800 users ....15´ or 30´
Old 5th September 2013
Gear Addict

Studer a800 users ....15´ or 30´

Interesting to hear which speed you record at and why.
15`is mostly used here ....
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Sorta doesn't matter what kind of tape machine it is... it really depends on the source material and what you are going for.

Rock.... 15 is probably going to be ok. Classical, soft, airy flutes, probably not gonna be happy at 15.
Old 5th September 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogtodd View Post
Sorta doesn't matter what kind of tape machine it is... it really depends on the source material and what you are going for.

Rock.... 15 is probably going to be ok. Classical, soft, airy flutes, probably not gonna be happy at 15.
I agree, but it should be noted that the OP is in Europe and probably using CCIR EQ curve at 15ips which is much quieter than the NAB curve most often used here in the states.
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I agree, but it should be noted that the OP is in Europe and probably using CCIR EQ curve at 15ips which is much quieter than the NAB curve most often used here in the states.
15IPS at CCIR. Much better than 30 or 15 at NAB. At 30, i'd rather use Pro Tools honestly. It doesn't sound like tape to me. It's too tight. Even though it is tape. I use mine at 30 almost always. Unless it's a pop gig, and they want tape.

But hit your CCIR button if you calibrate it for that! Make sure you do that. CCIR offers a nicer/quieter top and a tighter bottom. Not as boomy as NAB.
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

There is no such thing as NAB at 30. 15 ips CCIR is close to 30 at AES, curve wise.

I used CCIR at the end of my tenure with my 800. I also used it on my ATR 1/2" but ran into problems with some mastering guys and went back to NAB for my 1/2" machine. Definitely a bigger deal on a multi track.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search