The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How better are RME pres' than Motu?
Old 5th September 2013
Gear Maniac

How better are RME pres' than Motu?

I'm currently having a motu 896HD hooked to my desktop system where I'm recording some vocals using a U87ai. I also own a RME Fireface 400 which I'm using with my notebook for portable use.
I'm thinking of hooking the RME to the motu via ADAT to use the pre's and converters on it for vocal recording.
Do you think there'd be a niticable improvement in recording quality to justify the effort?
Old 5th September 2013
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashman View Post
I'm currently having a motu 896HD hooked to my desktop system where I'm recording some vocals using a U87ai. I also own a RME Fireface 400 which I'm using with my notebook for portable use.
I'm thinking of hooking the RME to the motu via ADAT to use the pre's and converters on it for vocal recording.
Do you think there'd be a niticable improvement in recording quality to justify the effort?
It doesn't take a whole lot of effort, so why not try it out?

Gustav
Old 5th September 2013
Gear Head

Good idea. I don't have any experience with MOTU preamps for comparison, but I am very happy with the 2 pres in my 400. They are very clean, with plenty of gain. I have Vintech, Lindell and TL Audio pres in my collection, but when I want an uncolored sound, I go to the 400. They even work well on quiet sources with low gain mics like my SM7B and R84.
Old 5th September 2013
Gear Maniac

I know it's a pretty simple thing to do. The thing is my vocal varies in tone and texture so much from time to time, I'm afraid I may fail to judge objectively enough the preamps. So I thought maybe I get some more experienced views here. Thanks for replies anyway. If I come with any conclusion I'll share it too :-)
Old 6th September 2013
I have the Motu 8pre,FF400 and Lindell 6x500. I like the Lindell more than the other 2 but the FF pres seem really good. I found the Motu pres to be a bit sterile / harsh. Not really that bad, but just kind of lack lustre.
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashman View Post
I know it's a pretty simple thing to do. The thing is my vocal varies in tone and texture so much from time to time, I'm afraid I may fail to judge objectively enough the preamps. So I thought maybe I get some more experienced views here. Thanks for replies anyway. If I come with any conclusion I'll share it too :-)
If you can't notice a difference right away, subjectively or objectively, then it doesn't matter and you can just go ahead and use either. The general consensus is RME preamps are slightly better, but they are both in the same class.
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
If you can't notice a difference right away, subjectively or objectively, then it doesn't matter and you can just go ahead and use either. The general consensus is RME preamps are slightly better, but they are both in the same class.

And a good performance at the source will make either one sound better than the other one.
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
I hadn't done any testing when I asked this. I did however record a couple if takes and my early impression is that RME does sound more clear and I seem to perceive some sort of harshness in Motu. I wouldn't conclude just yet though as all that may be placebo or just the difference in the source (my voice) from two different times.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search