The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A place in Southern California $700/month for Room
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Addict

A place in Southern California $700/month for Room

I'm not sure where to post this but it is related to Gear . I'll be moving to Southern California on September 30th, and I was wondering if anyone has a room open where I can live and set up my equipment. It would have to be a max hour away from San Jacinto, CA. I'll be going to school for audio engineering there for the next two years at MSJC.

I'll only be setting up miced acoustic drums, two amps, and basic recording equipment and I plan on doing some soundproofing to the room. I'll be doing my own recordings.

I had a lot of people contacting me at roommates.com but everybody wants a quiet roommate, that means buying an expensive electronic drumset and direct input for guitars and bass :(. Not even gonna ask about the singing. Budget for rent is $700 monthly. I know some of you guys could use some extra money per month so if you have anything available let me know soon!

Thanks guys .
Old 23rd September 2006
Gear Addict

Anyone??
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Hey drum beater

I am 30 minutes from San Jacinto, but cant do the boarder( renter) thing...lemme check around here locally. There has to be somebody needing the dough.

PM me
Old 23rd September 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSound View Post
I'm not sure where to post this but it is related to Gear . I'll be moving to Southern California on September 30th, and I was wondering if anyone has a room open where I can live and set up my equipment. It would have to be a max hour away from San Jacinto, CA. I'll be going to school for audio engineering there for the next two years at MSJC.

I'll only be setting up miced acoustic drums, two amps, and basic recording equipment and I plan on doing some soundproofing to the room. I'll be doing my own recordings.

I had a lot of people contacting me at roommates.com but everybody wants a quiet roommate, that means buying an expensive electronic drumset and direct input for guitars and bass :(. Not even gonna ask about the singing. Budget for rent is $700 monthly. I know some of you guys could use some extra money per month so if you have anything available let me know soon!

Thanks guys .
I'm in Chicago, not California but I will say this: If you take some time looking you'll end up OK. But if yer under the gun, forget it. Man, I looked at so many places and they all pretty much sucked. One place I looked at seemed really great at first glance. 1200 sq ft, nice vaulted ceilings, stand alone building that is only two years old. Man, no fvckin bathroom!tutt I almost missed that when I first looked at it. Wow!

Also, ask questions all the time. One landlord told me she didn't care what I did in the space as long as I paid my rent. All the other tenants are artist types. No loud music. So I asked "can I play the drums all night long, every night?" Then I think the landlord freaked a little and we both knew that wouldn't work.

If yer not gonna end up on the first floor: Make sure there's a WORKING/Available elevator. Always ask about that.

I'm not trying to sound negative. Just letting you know what I went through.

Best of luck, and let us know how it works out.
Old 23rd September 2006
Gear Addict

Yeah is definitely not easy finding an space to record. I was recently on a band and it was always the same deal, finding a place to play and live. That's crazy finding that building with no bathroom dfegad . I was contacted by someone who said she would basically build a studio for me. But is in San Diego, 1 1/2 hours from my school . Oh well I have a place to arrive temporarily and once I'm there I'll definitely keep looking for a place to record permanently.

But I tell you what, I wouldn't mind actually living in a recording studio
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSound View Post
Yeah is definitely not easy finding an space to record. I was recently on a band and it was always the same deal, finding a place to play and live. That's crazy finding that building with no bathroom dfegad . I was contacted by someone who said she would basically build a studio for me. But is in San Diego, 1 1/2 hours from my school . Oh well I have a place to arrive temporarily and once I'm there I'll definitely keep looking for a place to record permanently.

But I tell you what, I wouldn't mind actually living in a recording studio
Yeah, I almost fvcked up and signed a lease without realizing about the bathroom. What a nightmare that woulda been. The funny thing was the owner tried convincing me that no loo is no big deal. "There's a diner across the street. There's a bar a block away, etc." Why you would build something as nice as this place and no bathroom I'll never understand.
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

I did the recording program at MI in Hollywod. Was paying over 800 for a little studio apartment in Northridge and just got tired of it since i couldn't play any music, tracked guitars through a pad and mixed with headphones to get by for a while but i really didn't have time to do my own music with school full time and working full time as well. Did you take that into consideration?

Actually before i moved back to the San Luis Obispo, Santa maria, and Santa Barbara area I almost moved to valencia where a guy that owned the place had gone to a recording school as well and was real excited for me to be moving in and said i could bring all my gear and he wanted to track drums in the living room etc. etc.

So those people are out there. Oh yeah, Craigslist can be your friend as well.
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

I don't know anything about San Jacinto but it looks like it's pretty far out toward the desert. I would think that instead of moving 1hr toward the city it might be a better idea to get even farther out. Find some place way out in the middle of nowhere with cheap rent and no neighbors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search