The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Other online mixing studio's like studio201?
Old 4th September 2013
Gear Addict

Other online mixing studio's like studio201?

---
Old 5th September 2013
Just about any mix engineer will do online mixing.

I have to say, the idea of working on just one element of a mix in isolation (like the vocal processing or "beef up my guitars!" options offered here) kind of goes against the general principle of mixing for me.

But this site just reads like one guy (and it is a guy, not a studio, that you're hiring) trying to make a buck anyway he can.

Which is great if it works for him, but it's not particularly unique or outstanding.
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear
I have NEVER understood the concept of charging a mix based on the number of tracks. It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Granted, there are oddball situations, like the 3 track song. But really, what's the difference between a record with 30 tracks vs. a record with 90 tracks? The idea that one requires more work or will take longer just doesn't make any sense - unless you don't know how to deal with 90 tracks. Maybe if all you are doing is a quick rough mix or something, but if you are making a RECORD they require the same amount of work and attention to detail provided the recording and production quality are the same. Not a dis of the engineer, he/she could be awesome. It's just an odd way of setting up a price structure.

Like psycho monkey said, pretty much ALL mix engineers do remote online work as that's how most records get mixed these days. And if your song has 120 tracks like a typical pop record, then I would guess Psycho Monkey will be able to beat Studio 201's $2160/song price tag and sound just as good, or BETTER.
Old 5th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
But really, what's the difference between a record with 30 tracks vs. a record with 90 tracks? The idea that one requires more work or will take longer just doesn't make any sense - unless you don't know how to deal with 90 tracks.
Absolutely true.
Old 5th September 2013
Both of the replies so far hit the nail on the head.

1. This guy is trying to make a buck appealing, at least initially, to a crowd that doesn't have a serious budget to work with. However, even in a 60 track mix (pretty common for rock, alt, etc.) he is essentially charging $1080 for remote mixing. To give you a comparison, we offer a remote mixing solution for indie artists that starts at only $450/song and generally never goes above $750/song even for large difficult mixes.

2. $25 for a "stereo enhanced" vocal doesn't even make sense. How can you possibly enhance a vocal (or any other element of a mix for that matter) without mixing the entire song and truly understanding how to best fit certain delays, reverbs, fx, etc.?

3. $29 to "enhance your drums"? Really? He is going to sit there and fix all the drum parts and fills so they sound cohesive and/or sound replace (accurately) all of those individual elements across multiple tracks (sometimes 14 or more) for that price? That process takes hours upon hours to do correctly. Do you really believe it's going to sound amazing at that low of a rate?

Now, I don't know this guy, nor have I any direct experience using his services, but from the price perspective and the services he is claiming to offer, there has got to either be a catch (bait & switch?) or what he is delivering isn't worth the small amount he is charging. No one could possible stay in business, even if they were booked 24/7 at these prices.
Old 5th September 2013
Gear Head

As Josh, Chris etc have said.... smacks of somene who's spent all his money setting up an expensive project studio and now needs to make a buck (or 19!) any way he can.

Breaking mix/mastering services down like that is just a weird way to up-sell everyone who comes along thinking it's a "big label result" for cheap. UHaul vans all have $19.95 slapped on the windshield. Have you ever known anyone rent a UHaul for $19.95??

Anyhow, good luck to the guy. Maybe stems mixing and 20 dollar masters is the new audio business model of the future.
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Addict

All software based I bet to. Not that there's anything wrong with that as Seinfeld would say.
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Addict

-
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search