The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid S6 Mixer (Sneak Peek)
Old 4th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Avid S6 Mixer (Sneak Peek)

Looks really cool

wonderhow much $, and if it is for studio or live ...

#MixingRedefined - YouTube
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrain View Post
Looks really cool

wonderhow much $, and if it is for studio or live ...

#MixingRedefined - YouTube
Kinda figures - S3 is for live or studio, maybe S6 is for both as well.
Not reading too much in to it, but the numbering does leave room for 2 other products in the middle.

I can see replacements for Icon D-command and D-control (maybe S6 as the video says it's modular), C|24 and the Artist series.

None of these have been updated for quite a while.
Old 4th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Will it be an expansion of the artist series and work with all DAW's?
If not are Avid missing a trick?
mmm....
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

!
Old 4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Looks extremely yummy!
Old 4th September 2013
Gear Addict
i'm guessing a follow on for the System 5 big bucks console?
I'm hoping it starts at avid artist price and is scalable modular though!
Be nice to have 8 faders just to start and add 8 knob rows/touchscreen/transport/vu screens and then more 8 channel sections etc until you have a whole system "6" instead of being charged 100k upfront!!
This would make sense as the artist series is already a bit like that..it could be a way of not having to have separate products like the c24 etc..you would just add what you need.
The S3 hints at this already with separate preamps etc..
FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!
Lives for gear

I like the words "modular design". You have my attention
Old 4th September 2013
Here for the gear

Oh THank God! Ive just bought a D Command which some people think is nuts but Id much rather have end of line generation than first generation new console. I knew this was coming and its just reassuring to see it as this is way over the top in my view. what the frick do I need to see waveforms coming down where levels are. Touch screen is just itching to break down after a few years. all the these untried and tested circuit boards buttons and faders touch screens. Im happy! with the Icon no regrets!
Lives for gear

Got me interested, but I've a sneaking suspicion it's out of my price range.
Old 4th September 2013
Here for the gear

One more thing! the whole reason why I bought the D command was to escape looking at waveforms and a screen and start using my ears only. d commands brilliant for that this desk is a visual playground and for me distracting. But that is only my personal wants out of a desk. Other people will want this visual info and theres nothing wrong with that
Old 4th September 2013
Gear Maniac

mmm you're right tom, but since the S3L was at least marketed more as a system for live Im wondering if the S6 is also meant more for live.

Does S3L means Studio3Live ?... if thats the case the S6 is going to be for studio since it doesn't have the "L"

I hope the modularity makes it affordable for a small-medium studio like mine, since I was waiting for the revamp of the avid control surfaces to buy one. I hope they have a offering in the 10k range altought this one seems to be much more expensive.

Thanks to the moderators for completing the thread name making it more clear, and my apologies if i broke some rule by posting it in the new product alert since this isnt a released product yet.
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Possibly studio. There are a couple of shots of scrolling track waveforms in the vid which hint at studio use (eg at 13 seconds in). Plus there was a glimpse of a timecode display.
Old 5th September 2013
"Mixing Redefined" - with faders, knobs, and little screen thingies that tell you how loud it is.

Looks like a real game changer.
Old 5th September 2013
Gear Maniac

and a built in slot-machine (@27 sec) (:

but this looks seriously bad-ass, was actually thinking about a Raven, I'll wait a little bit now...
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

It's obviously the successor to the System 5 / MC / S5 Fusion.
I wonder if it will be just a controller or a mixer too though....

The modular nature of it may just be the key.
I mean, they have the system 5MC now, it kinda makes sense for them to have a controller only model.
Or perhaps it's so modular that the controller and DSP sections can be ordered/added separately.

Maybe you want just DAW control, but you would like a master/monitor section... Okay!
Want to mix in the box but still would like 16 remote controlled pres and 16 line ins and ADCs? Okay!

If they have a truly modular DAW controller / mixer this is within the realm of possibilities and could possibly make everyone very happy. A(n) (eco)system that you could buy into and expand when budget grows is something that is very appealing to a lot of people in this day and age I think.

Last edited by ~ufo~; 5th September 2013 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: added more speculation!
Old 5th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
I like the words "modular design". You have my attention
Well, "Modular Design" can be anything... Such having the console made by bucket you can place anywhere you want (more flexible than previous D-Control).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
It's obviously the successor to the System 5 / MC / S5 Fusion.
I would bet on a System 5 / MC / S5 _and_ Icon D-Control successor

With the little S3 and the larger S6, we could have some intermediate models (S4 / S5??) that could replace the C24 and D-Command range. That would make sense to me...

The only main question will be the price range of this S6... If it's base on the System 5/D-Control previous prices ($100K-$200K-$300K), I'd have some doubt about it *today*, mainly now with Steinberg Nuage around $20-30K that offer a lot and have nothing to be shame in comparison to a D-Control.

In that case, it would also clearly target the post-prod only... which means we would still miss something for the music market, at a current market price

But of course, all of this is just pure speculation at this moment because we don't know anything

Maybe the "Modular Design" means it could cover needs from C24, to D-Command, to D-Control and System 5... from $10K to $300K... who knows?

So, Wait & See...
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

I wouldn't bet on these S4 and S5 "in between" models.
Certainly because there's an Avid S5 now and it seems it is to be replaced by this new S6.

Now the S5 comes in mixer/controller and DAW controller only varieties.

If this S6 takes that to a new level being modular, I could see it being also an alternative to both the D-command and D-control.
There's room for one mid level model maybe, but not if this S6 is modular enough and priced well enough.

</ wishful thinking>
Old 5th September 2013
Doesn't the waveform thing look a bit Harrison "ESP"?
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

A successor to the S5. I would expect it to fall in price wise with the S5.

Doesn't matter what other controllers like Nuage have (is that out yet?). Post/Gaming/Music facilities that use Pro Tools are not switching to Nuendo or any other DAW.
Lives for gear

Looks great!
Lives for gear

I just received this from AVID

ICON Sales Come to a Close

In early August, we shared news with our resellers that September 4, 2013 will be the end-of-sale date for the ICON D-Control™ ES and D-Command® ES control surfaces. We are reaching out to thank you for your support and help in making ICON the best selling large-format console of all time, and making ICON your go-to choice for post and music mixing. We want to reassure you that we will continue to support these products for at least five more years through September 4, 2018.

At Avid, we are always striving to innovate and improve our product designs and, therefore, increase the productivity and inspire the creativity of our great customers who use them. At the IBC show in Amsterdam, coming up on September 13th, we will be unveiling our next-generation, professional control surface based fundamentally on feedback from customers like you.
Old 5th September 2013
Gear Nut

Yep, just like Digi did with my ProControl... I dunno, I might be interested, cause I worked on a System 5 and liked it, I'll wait. Have to replace the ProControl, since I want to move to PT11HD
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
Yep, just like Digi did with my ProControl...
Not exactly. They stopped making procontrols almost 10 years ago and they still work with PT up to version 11 this year. With so many big ticket d-controls and d-commands out there they will work and be supported for a very long time to come.

We are opening a new room and a d-control was on the table. Now we will wait...
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Avid always seems to put out great teasers.

The main takeaways I get from the video:

-Touchscreen control
-Meter bridge with waveforms
-Graphical scribble strips possibly with variable color
-5 multifunction rotary controls per channel (new rotary control design)
-Transport control, so definitely for studio use, maybe live also based on the S3l... if they are smart it will be able to be both for live or studio....
-Modular, to what extent TBD
-The touchcreen seems to be showing some zoomed in transient view of some sort of file or preset called "BIG DRUMS" - but it is too difficult to see the text of the various settings shown on that page to determine context.

An S3l system ranges between 18-28K, however that includes an AAX DSP mix engine and digital snake with preamps etc etc. So I'd bet the S3 as just a control surface is around 5-7K. Depending on whether or not this S6 has I/O included will obviously dramatically affect price. If it is a controller only, I'm going to guess that a reasonably well spec'd system will start at around 20K and go up from there. But that's just a really wild guess.
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

supposedly it'll cover the controller range from D-Command and up....

If they give me a killer deal on my ProControl trade in there just MAY be hope yet...
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I wouldn't bet on these S4 and S5 "in between" models.
Well, I'm saying that based on some info I got about some S3M and S5M. Rumors from source I'd believe.... I don't think it will be a range of controller having only the Artist Series, the S3 and then the top of the line $300K System 5 replacement.

Even if it would be "Modular", Avid would need to cut somewhere. Currently, you can have 24ch C24 for less than $10K, or 40ch D-Command for $35K and 32ch D-Control for $100K...

The S6 would require to be very modular on all the way to cover this three different market. It wouldn't only be a matter of channel number.

Anyway, it _IS_ possible, and I hope you're right and it's what Avid is preparing, but it would be quite disruptive from their current product line and current customers.

I personally more believe in "different" models... such Icon D-Command and Icon D-Control... Maybe we will have some S6-Command and S6-Control (so to speak).

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post

A successor to the S5. I would expect it to fall in price wise with the S5.

Doesn't matter what other controllers like Nuage have (is that out yet?). Post/Gaming/Music facilities that use Pro Tools are not switching to Nuendo or any other DAW.
Nuage does work with Protools too (I know, quite limited due to HUI), but when you have to compare between a $300K system and a $30K system, and if money is an issue for your business, you can rethink twice about what system you want to use.

And I'm saying that as a Protools user currently on the market for a D-Command.
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spid View Post
Nuage does work with Protools too (I know, quite limited due to HUI), but when you have to compare between a $300K system and a $30K system, and if money is an issue for your business, you can rethink twice about what system you want to use.

And I'm saying that as a Protools user currently on the market for a D-Command.
Where did we get 300k from? No way I would invest 30k for Steinberg hardware with their history of cancelling hardware n support out of the blue. Add in Hui and...
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

I believe Avid is about to set a new standard. I also think they are constantly coming up with new ways to not have to look at a computer screen. Its like they really get that starring at a screen with a mouse in hand is like working in a prison studio. Well if prisons had studios.

Anyway the neat flashing color lights and the waveforms straddling the liquid plasma looking meters and the obvious dedicated screen for channel effects and what not was very exciting to me because I could see me recording and not glaring at a computer monitor in just one spot.

In other words your attention is not focused in just one spot. Like an analogue console you turn your attention to the area that needs your attention. If you want to adjust the kick you glance over channel one etc...

Hope that makes sense.
Old 6th September 2013
Deleted 2ef94c5
This is in place of ICON, so stop assuming this is Artist series level.

My guess is $40-60k to start but full desk is well over $100k.
📝 Reply