The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors - $2-3000 budget... What would you get?
Old 2nd September 2013
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Monitors - $2-3000 budget... What would you get?

Title says it all... Keen to hear your suggestions!
Old 2nd September 2013
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
stariq's Avatar
 

Pelonis 4288
Old 3rd September 2013
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Doctorgun's Avatar
Neumann KH120.
Old 3rd September 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Slikjmuzik's Avatar
 

I was in that very price range just a few months back. I upgraded from a pair of Adam A7's with a sub that I had since about 2008 to a complete Sonodyne setup. Went with the Sonodyne SM100AK 6.5" mains with their 10" powered sub, the SLF 210 V2. Total was just under $1900, the total delivery is big, punchy and trustworthy with smooth highs that I can sit in front of for hours. I look forward to mixing with this setup.

Considered Genelec 8040, Adam A77x, a used pair of PMC's and a pair of Quested's.

Couldn't be happier...
Old 3rd September 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
GeneHall's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorgun View Post
Neumann KH120.
+1 best money one can spend in this price range

"It is difficult to make a man understand something when his income depends on him not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Luck is when preparedness encounters opportunity.
Old 3rd September 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
Couple more to consider,
Trident HG3 and Sveda D´appo, also KS Digital C 88 Coaxial
-well I´m between these atm.

Matti
Old 3rd September 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
Equator Q10 ...
Old 3rd September 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
GeneHall's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Couple more to consider,
Trident HG3 and Sveda D´appo, also KS Digital C 88 Coaxial
-well I´m between these atm.

Matti
Hi Matti,
Those Trident boxes, they as big as they appear to be in photos? Are these a John Oram creation or am I dated on who is building Trident kit these days?

"It is difficult to make a man understand something when his income depends on him not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Luck is when preparedness encounters opportunity.
Old 3rd September 2013
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
I was in that very price range just a few months back. I upgraded from a pair of Adam A7's with a sub that I had since about 2008 to a complete Sonodyne setup. Went with the Sonodyne SM100AK 6.5" mains with their 10" powered sub, the SLF 210 V2. Total was just under $1900, the total delivery is big, punchy and trustworthy with smooth highs that I can sit in front of for hours. I look forward to mixing with this setup.

Considered Genelec 8040, Adam A77x, a used pair of PMC's and a pair of Quested's.

Couldn't be happier...
Take heed of this post, OP....although you have options to spend more cash. If you listen to these there is a good chance you may not want to anymore, or simply struggle to find anything within your budget that beats them.

Good to see it worked out well, Julian.
Old 3rd September 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
Hi Matti,
Those Trident boxes, they as big as they appear to be in photos? Are these a John Oram creation or am I dated on who is building Trident kit these days?
- Trident HG3 Close Field Monitoring System : Featured Reviews : Recording Magazine -

Trident HG3 Monitors - AMAZING!!!! -a long story

Around 3000 in €, sorry not in dollars

Matti
Old 3rd September 2013
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

Ns10s with bryston amp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
Old 3rd September 2013
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
Doctorgun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanvegas View Post
Ns10s with bryston amp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
You can get ns10s with a bryston amp and a set of kh120s for under 2500 easy.
Old 3rd September 2013
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
+1 best money one can spend in this price range

"It is difficult to make a man understand something when his income depends on him not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Luck is when preparedness encounters opportunity.
+1 Agree.
Old 3rd September 2013
  #14
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

I went for the ME-Geithain RL906.
Old 3rd September 2013
  #15
Gear Nut
focals cms65's with the sub to match.
Old 3rd September 2013
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
cherrymusic's Avatar
 

Best monitors under $20k I've ever heard



http://sammisdesignssandbox.com[/URL]
Old 3rd September 2013
  #17
I upgraded from a pair of Mackie HR824's to the Trident HG3's and couldn't be happier. They are wonderful to listen to for long sessions - I'm sure it's due to the use of the soft dome tweeter rather than a metal one. Nice tightly controlled bottom end, super detailed mids and loads of volume. I'm finding that I'm dialling mixes in a lot quicker with these than my previous monitors.

Good luck with the decision!

Tim
The Colour Field Recording Studio
Old 4th September 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Slikjmuzik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Take heed of this post, OP....although you have options to spend more cash. If you listen to these there is a good chance you may not want to anymore, or simply struggle to find anything within your budget that beats them.

Good to see it worked out well, Julian.
I didn't elaborate any further because I didn't want to sound too much like a fanboy. I completely get what the fuss was all about now. Getting unsolicited compliments about the direction a clients music is headed solidifies it for me.
Old 4th September 2013
  #19
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
I didn't elaborate any further because I didn't want to sound too much like a fanboy. I completely get what the fuss was all about now. Getting unsolicited compliments about the direction a clients music is headed solidifies it for me.
Great to hear it is translating into real result differences!

And no need to worry, I've got the Sono'fanboy thing covered here. Although for balance I always ad that their 200's are ****e.

Love it when those SM100AK things come to new, good homes and become valued tools. A friend of mine bought a pair last week and he is in deepest honeymoon country now. He won't shut up about their stereo image.
Old 4th September 2013
  #20
Focal Solos or Twins
Genelec 8040's
Old 4th September 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Slikjmuzik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Great to hear it is translating into real result differences!

And no need to worry, I've got the Sono'fanboy thing covered here. Although for balance I always ad that their 200's are ****e.

Love it when those SM100AK things come to new, good homes and become valued tools. A friend of mine bought a pair last week and he is in deepest honeymoon country now. He won't shut up about their stereo image.
Haha, I've noticed that about your sense of balance...

For me it was realizing I didn't have to 'hunt' for the things that were wrong in the mix. I feel much more at ease in the fact that what they are telling me, as well as when the mix sounds 'right' on them...the mix IS, for the most part, right (aside from the common subjective opinions about it)
Old 5th September 2013
  #22
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
For me it was realizing I didn't have to 'hunt' for the things that were wrong in the mix. I feel much more at ease in the fact that what they are telling me, as well as when the mix sounds 'right' on them...the mix IS, for the most part, right (aside from the common subjective opinions about it)
That's what I mean when saying they are easy. They are amongst the easiest mixing tool I have ever come across, if not the easiest if one was to pick only one pair used on its own. A VERY good balance of detail and info delivery. Like, on my PSI I might have more detail, but they are also less sensitive about the balance being spot on. If I move a fader a dB it might not sound more wrong or right either way on the PSI, but the Sono's say one is better every time (and get it right) and STILL give you more than enough detail to make VERY accomplished top quality mixes. They hit the balance of important stuff square in the bullseye. And they're so eeeeasy, they guide you. Might get a pair one day still....

But then I have some little speakers which also are extremely good at guiding you, so.....
Old 6th September 2013
  #23
Gear Nut
 

Thanks for the heads up! I'd never heard of Sonodyne until now... Just did some Googleing and now I'm very keen to hear these!

The 100's seem great.
Did you check out the SM200AK? Seems quite nice as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
I was in that very price range just a few months back. I upgraded from a pair of Adam A7's with a sub that I had since about 2008 to a complete Sonodyne setup. Went with the Sonodyne SM100AK 6.5" mains with their 10" powered sub, the SLF 210 V2. Total was just under $1900, the total delivery is big, punchy and trustworthy with smooth highs that I can sit in front of for hours. I look forward to mixing with this setup.

Considered Genelec 8040, Adam A77x, a used pair of PMC's and a pair of Quested's.

Couldn't be happier...
Old 6th September 2013
  #24
Gear Nut
 

Thanks for all the replies guys! Keep them coming !
Old 6th September 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Buy my Adams A7's for $3000. They never get angry with me and always ask how my day was.
Old 6th September 2013
  #26
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonvW View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I'd never heard of Sonodyne until now... Just did some Googleing and now I'm very keen to hear these!

The 100's seem great.
Did you check out the SM200AK? Seems quite nice as well.
Forget the 200's, they are ****e (unfortunately...). The 100's is where it's at.
Old 6th September 2013
  #27
PSI A17-M

Surprised no one has recommended these on this thread.

PSI Audio A17M &*A21M
"In short, these speakers are extraordinary and deliver a level of performance and accuracy that vanishingly few two?way designs can match, and which would shame a great many three?way offerings."
Old 6th September 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Sanchez's Avatar
no love for the Event Opals? Considering a move from Adam A7+ Adam sub to these and they're pretty much in that price range (here anyway).
Old 6th September 2013
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Slikjmuzik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Forget the 200's, they are ****e (unfortunately...). The 100's is where it's at.
I was going to tell him to ask you as you've had first hand experience, but you definitely got to it already! lol
Old 6th September 2013
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Slikjmuzik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
That's what I mean when saying they are easy. They are amongst the easiest mixing tool I have ever come across, if not the easiest if one was to pick only one pair used on its own. A VERY good balance of detail and info delivery. Like, on my PSI I might have more detail, but they are also less sensitive about the balance being spot on. If I move a fader a dB it might not sound more wrong or right either way on the PSI, but the Sono's say one is better every time (and get it right) and STILL give you more than enough detail to make VERY accomplished top quality mixes. They hit the balance of important stuff square in the bullseye. And they're so eeeeasy, they guide you. Might get a pair one day still....

But then I have some little speakers which also are extremely good at guiding you, so.....
I'm dying for a pair of those little guys...wish I could afford them right now...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump