The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GENELEC 1030A vs. MACKIE HR824 Studio Monitors
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

GENELEC 1030A vs. MACKIE HR824

I GOT THE GENELECS WITH 6 INCH SUBS AND USED TO HAVE A SUBWOOFER BUT I GOT RID OF THE SUB CAUSE IT WAS JUST TO LOUD AND THE NEIBORS COMPLAIN.
SO NOW IM LEFT WITH LITTLE BASS WITH THE GENELCS.
I TESTED THE MACKIE'S AND IT HAD A NICE BASS BUT IT SOUNDED KINDA "SINEWAVY" . LIKE; UP IN YOUR FACE WITH LITTLE DEPTH IN THE SOUND FIELD.

ANOTHER FACTOR IS THAT I DO ELECTRONIC MUSIC AND GETTING INTO FILMSCORE (ORCHESTRA+ELECTRONIC) SO BASS ITS IMPORTANT, AS WELL AS DEPTH.

SO I WANTED TO SEE IF ANYBODY HAD THE TWO SPEAKERS AND/OR HAD A THOUGHT ON ONE BETTER THAN THE OTHER.

THE ROOM IM IN HAS A DECENT LISTENING ENVIRONMENT, NOT A PERFECT STUDIO BUT I DONT GET STANDING WAVES, REFLEXIONS ETC.
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Nut

hi there
I have them both in my control room A - along with NS10s. There is no comparison between the Genelecs and Mackies. IMO the Genelecs are much more articulate than the Mackies - the Mackies are in my control room strictly for those on the back couch - the thump factor - I almost never "mix" on them. I do use them to check a final mix though. Like anything else though, you can certainly learn them to get great mixes on the Mackies.
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

FWIW,

I found mixing on Mackies very deceiving. I switched to Dynaudio bm6a with a sub and am very happy!
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

deja vu

and the mackie slaters come rolling in
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
deja vu

and the mackie slaters come rolling in
Sorry,

Please let me add that I have made some great recordings on the Mackies. Plus it doesn't matter what you mix on as long as you "know" the monitor well. I simply believe that the passive radiator in the 824 smears much of the mids and lows. I don't think you will have that problem with Genelecs. There will be others however, because at this price point there will always be compromises in sound. You just need to carefully listen to both in your space with the music you mix. Also, I've heard good things about the 624 and Bm5A. They maybe worth a listen.
Warmest Regards,
Don
Old 23rd September 2006
Gear Head

i dont wanna be predictable, but (this is the first time i've posted about mackie) i hate the 824s, and within the dance music scene that i'm involved loads of people have them, so i'm regularly arguing about it - to me they feel like i'm submerged in quicksand, cant stand em.
i had some bm5s powered by a decent amp that were good, then i got the 1030s and love them.
dont forget you can change the bass level a bit on the back to maybe balance it a bit...

pz
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

No need to apologise its just this thread is SO predictable. Its been tackled a million times b4 and suddenly everyone comes out of the woodwork hating the mackies. Well ill stand up for them, i prefer them over any genelecs or dynaudios and i have used all of them extensively.

In my room the mackies sound spot on, and you are right thats all that matters.
Old 23rd September 2006
Gear Addict

I DON'T think the mackies "sound good", I don't LIKE to listen to them- BUT for me they translate really well (also using ns10's (Which ALSO don't "sound good"...)).
My mixes sound the same in the studio, in a living room, a car, an ipod, etc.; what more could you ask-

My real monitoring surprise was discovering those little "bob clearmountain" apple speakers- checking a mix on those turns out to be very revealing.
By the time I get my mixes to sound good on the mackies, ns10's, realistic minimus 7's, and the apples all together, they'll float on ANYTHING.
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
i dont wanna be predictable, but (this is the first time i've posted about mackie) i hate the 824s, and within the dance music scene that i'm involved loads of people have them, so i'm regularly arguing about it - to me they feel like i'm submerged in quicksand, cant stand em.
i had some bm5s powered by a decent amp that were good, then i got the 1030s and love them.
dont forget you can change the bass level a bit on the back to maybe balance it a bit...

pz
i think i saw a bass rollof as well as a bass tilt but not an increase for them. ill check again.
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeceebee View Post
I DON'T think the mackies "sound good", I don't LIKE to listen to them- BUT for me they translate really well (also using ns10's (Which ALSO don't "sound good"...)).
My mixes sound the same in the studio, in a living room, a car, an ipod, etc.; what more could you ask-

My real monitoring surprise was discovering those little "bob clearmountain" apple speakers- checking a mix on those turns out to be very revealing.
By the time I get my mixes to sound good on the mackies, ns10's, realistic minimus 7's, and the apples all together, they'll float on ANYTHING.

Bob clearmountain apple speakers???? what are those?
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

I mix all my projects on the 824s. I bought the Genelec 1030As first and really, really wanted to keep them because you know, they're Genelec's and when you tell a lot of people you have Genelecs, their voice drops down a few notes and they say "Oh wow, you have Genelecs huh?" like, it puts you up above the pro-sumer crowd, you become part of the elite! Mackie has a reputation of making good products, but they're considered "pro-sumer" so there's no way in hell the 824s would be better than the Genelecs! No Way!

Well, that's what I thought for about 2 weeks, when I had both sets to evaluate and after listening to both, I returned the Genelecs and kept the Mackies.

I personally think it's a matter of preference, since we all perceive sound differently (sometimes VERY differently) than others. For me, they work and the people I do mixes for are always happy with the outcome, but damn, I have to be honest and say that sometimes I wish I would have kept the Genelecs just to Jedi-Mind trick some clients into sending me mix work.
Old 26th September 2006
Gear Nut

Here you go gsilbers........

http://mixonline.com/recording/inter...clearmountain/

I wish I had known about this too because I just got rid of a pair of these ( I think!) on ebay last year along with a bunch of other computer gear!

forsooth
Old 3rd November 2010
cdd
Here for the gear

Mackie HR 824

I bought a pair of Mackie HR824 when they just hit the market. In the recording studio, mixing on these monitors sounded great, however, when i took the mix to my car, the mix had too much treble and sounded sharp. I made sure that my car stereo had no eq boosting, but the above problem was there. The back of these Mackie speakers have switches to adjust the bass response and the treble response, there are 3 settings for each. I have engaged a switch to boost the treble response by 2 db at 10Khz, and this has solved the problem. Now my mixes translate significantly better (more accurate) when played in my car stereo and another car stereo belonging to a friend. I no longer need to buy a new set of monitors. I heard that Genelec monitors are great, maybe someday I'll bring a pair to my studio to compare them to my mackies, if they're not better, I'll take them back to the retailer.

Last edited by cdd; 20th November 2010 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: Information correction

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search