The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
USPS, FEDEX, UPS send a gift?????
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

USPS, FEDEX, UPS send a gift?????

Lets say you live in the U.S. and want to send someone a gift in Canada but also, want to insure that item in case it gets lost or damaged (like that happens LOL). How can you send it so the receiver is not getting raped with taxes for a free gift?????
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

heh.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Free gifts are great. It's the gifts you have to pay for that annoy me.

On the customs form, there's a space for "gift". You can insure the item for what it's worth and declare it a gift. I believe that whether they allow it as a gift is up to the customs inspector, because obviously you could check gift all the time, even when you're selling something.

Beware; Canadian customs are the most strict on the planet; Easier to get stuff in and out of China, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. (ok, practically!)

This isn't a slight against Canadians, just the customs dept!

Koorookookookookookookoo

Ask FedEx int'l.
Old 21st September 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

I get stuff sent or send items, insured and as a gift all the time, but you still have to pay brokerage fees and taxes on those fees when recieveing the *gift*. Other than that, it has always been smooth sailing for me. I never have trouble getting things by customs, unless UPS is involved because they always botch the paperwork or something. Sending by Canada Post or USPS is always cheaper due to less being charged in brokerage fees ect. when inporting into Canada than the big guys.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Yes, I've used USPS and FedEx with good results. UPS is a no no to Canada.

FedEx sometimes seems smoother, like no questions at either end.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Well, lets put it this way. If you are insuring your "gift" of diamonds for $10,000.xx rest assured you will be paying duties. There is a limit you can put on a gift before you have to pay duites/taxes. Doesn't matter if the package is going to Canada from the USA or to the USA from Canada. And the only thing Canada customs is strict on is how much money they can get out of you. Now they have guns so dont show up in person. They might get your wallet tooheh

Call them all to find out what the limit is on a gift.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

USPS is my reccomendation. They are tightly regulated, fees are minimal, and ive been using them for as long as I can remember with out nary an incident.
Old 21st September 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
UPS is a no no to Canada.

FedEx sometimes seems smoother, like no questions at either end.
UPS should be a no no anywhere, but I will agree with Max. I bought a 451 swivel for $50 US and my import/brokerage fees ect came out to $60 Canadian when I picked it up. Ludicrous! If that was with USPS, I probably would have paid maybe $12 CDN upon pick up.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

USPS all the way. I'm in Canada and prefer my US friends sending through USPS over anything. Fedex usually finds a way to piss me off, whether it be by charging me ridiculous amounts or sending my gear back to the states before I can lay my hands on it. Mind you when Fedex does work it comes right to the door, which is nice. I'd say I'm 50/50 on Fedex.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Very cool replies. Ya, I have written off UPS long ago. dfegad UPS

I just had a item come from the US with Fedex. All went smooth and I had to pay the taxes on the value of the item. Now, this is what I want to avoid. I mean, someone's already got their damn taxes on this already LOL. The fact is, I am in the market for some used gear and with so many great opportunities popping up on here, in the classified section, its hard to pass up. But most are located in the US and I am in Canada.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Also a strong vote for USPS for *all* international shipments from USA. And never ever use UPS for anything ever.

If you send Fedex or UPS and the recipient doesn't pay the duties (which will usually be billed weeks or months after delivery), then don't worry, the shippers will send *you* the bill. And charge it to your account, if you have one.

I have just about quit doing all cross-border deals, too much trouble.

Steve
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher View Post
UPS should be a no no anywhere, but I will agree with Max. I bought a 451 swivel for $50 US and my import/brokerage fees ect came out to $60 Canadian when I picked it up. Ludicrous! If that was with USPS, I probably would have paid maybe $12 CDN upon pick up.

Provide customs with a harmonized code/ mention it is recording gear, you might just get your money back. Usually you'll get charged duties when there is no harmonized code provided by the shipper because customs doesnt want to take the time to research every package coming through. They are usually looking at a manifest/docuesments. If they are not complete, you will pay the duty % they give the item. Fedex does not charge brokerage fee's. It's built into the price. UPS does.
Old 21st September 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
Provide customs with a harmonized code/ mention it is recording gear, you might just get your money back. Usually you'll get charged duties when there is no harmonized code provided by the shipper because customs doesnt want to take the time to research every package coming through. They are usually looking at a manifest/docuesments. If they are not complete, you will pay the duty % they give the item. Fedex does not charge brokerage fee's. It's built into the price. UPS does.
I am unfamiliar with the harmonized code you are speaking of.
Old 21st September 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug View Post
I have just about quit doing all cross-border deals, too much trouble.

Steve
I think more problems arise from goods being shipped from Canada into the USA rather than USA orientated goods coming up here to a buyer. Maybe it is a real bitch to send items up here to Canada? Who knows? I never, ever run into problems sending or recieving, just the usual b.s. if packages are sent UPS.

To the original poster regarding taxes: the tax has been paid ion the ietem n the USA and not in Canada, hence the import tax, but I hear you, it sucks.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Try here for the section I think covers recording gear. Shows Tariff % or FREE for items in those categories. Otherwise, knock yourself here for the main link!
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am unfamiliar with the harmonized code you are speaking of.
It's weird the way the list is organized. I'm sure there's some logic to it.

I usually only use Harmonized codes if I'm sending a commercial invoice.

I wasn't aware they could be used with gifts.
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

first i got to said that i'm canadian......and i did call the candian custom, when i was part of a group buy.to know how much it will cost me to import those microphones....and there is no duty on microphones...........so if your a candian, and order a microphone anywere in the world , there is no duty on mic.....call your custom
agent they will explain it to you....i did it , and not ony one, but two agent explain it to me, and as canadian , use canada post to recive and send some good, it will take you longer , but it will cost you a less........UPS and FEDEX charge you a lot for brokerage fees, compare to canada post,
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

I wouldn't ship a dead rat by UPS. Don't get me started.
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
It's weird the way the list is organized. I'm sure there's some logic to it.

I usually only use Harmonized codes if I'm sending a commercial invoice.

I wasn't aware they could be used with gifts.

Actually I was refering to Colin's 451 swivel for $50 and the import charge he had. This is still considered recording equipment and there should be no tariff on it.

As for the gift, I beleive $50.xx usd is the cutt off, after that you are going to pay taxes on it.

How much do you want to insure it for TheReal7? One way to avoid taxes is if the unit is specified "Sent for repair" and it says that on the invoice/CI. Of course that would be lying, would it not?
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Most of that $60 is made up of brokerage fees. The actual duty or taxes are very small in comparison. That is why I always prefer that people sending stuff to me use USPS if possible.

On recording gear only GST seems to be charged - 6% of the value of the thing you're bringing in. Via post office, the brokerage fees are something like $5 or $10 plus the GST or duties, and if the GST is small enough, it gets waived as already mentioned. UPS, Fedex, etc. seems to always be about $60 or so plus the GST you need to pay. If you can ship USPS with tracking and/or insurance, that's the way to do it.

-Dale
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Addict

guys guys, put this in your black book of addresses!!
use the harmonized tariff /schdule B of 9801.00.0000 (previously imported mechandise) hey your swapping anyway right? ha
Ok if you don't want to cheat, use "gift" with the lowest value possible $1. What are they going to say ? Hey Distressors don't cost $1???
At the very lowest scale(and honest) you can use DDP(delivered duties paid) as a means of paying for the duty/taxes instead of the recipient. FE or OOPs (UPS) mark the block that says shipper pays duties/taxes.
stike

T
Old 22nd September 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
and there is no duty on microphones...........so if your a candian, and order a microphone anywere in the world , there is no duty on mic.....call your custom,
Are you @#%@ing kidding me? Do you know how much cash I have shelled out on duty for microphones? I wish I knew of that sooner, and kept my customs documents.
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you @#%@ing kidding me? Do you know how much cash I have shelled out on duty for microphones? I wish I knew of that sooner.
That's what I'm saying. No duty on recording equipment. Check that over bloated harmonized code list.heh
Old 22nd September 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

I might have old customs papers attatched to boxes still. I wonder if there is a time limit on claiming back tarrifs paid that were not supoosed to be? I give our govt. enough money as it is.

Mics ect. pg. 33, section 85.18 for mics, mic stands, ect. I am assuming electric sound amplifier sets might refer to mic pres?
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you @#%@ing kidding me? Do you know how much cash I have shelled out on duty for microphones? I wish I knew of that sooner, and kept my customs documents.
Guys don't get me wrong, and i love these forum for gear and recording audio,
but when it did come to custom and taxe and duty, to be sure that i got the right info
i did call the custom.......not UPS , NOT FEDEX, but the custom, and they told me what to do, and i did save alots........as canadian, you should use our postal service
and let them take care of the paper work.it will take a bit longer, but at the end,you will save............

Man now i sound like a governement employee, not a musician...LOLLLL
Old 22nd September 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Guys don't get me wrong, and i love these forum for gear and recording audio,
but when it did come to custom and taxe and duty,

While I can't tell if you are kidding or not, this thread is about importing goods into Canada from the USA and it's applicable taxes, so in fact it does have something to do with gear and customs so I think you answered your own question.

I for one, am glad for this info, so thanks to any who have provided the proper customs information so we can claim back our fees.
Old 22nd September 2006
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w View Post
I wouldn't ship a dead rat by UPS. Don't get me started.
I don't know what your experience is with UPS but having sent on the order of 1000+ shipments a year for close to 18 years with UPS and only being able to count the prolems I've heard of in that time on my fingers I have a hard time with the slagging you just laid on them.

FedEx is generally more efficient for international shipments... except for Germany and the UK where UPS seems to have it far more together than FedEx.

As for USPS... they're the least expensive for sure until you get up to international "Express Mail" which is their ONLY service that will give you a tracking number [like FedEx and UPS do]. If you use USPS and insure the package but use a lesser service should that package be lost in transit you can not even file a claim until 30 days after your shipment... and they can take up to another 60 days to process and pay out on that claim.

I **** you not.

With FedEx "International" you can assign the payment of duties, taxes, etc. to the shipper which would make the recipient of the gift free and clear from GST, etc... if the units are US or Mexican made there will be no import tariffs due to NAFTA [from the US or Mexico to Canada... other countries have their own trade agreements with Canada].

If your unit isn't really a "gift" then buck up and pay the GST like a good boy... why you ask? Well the customs departments in several countries have started taking random "package shipments" [we're not talking 'containers' or 'semi-trailors', we're talking about stuff like a single box leaving one country and going to another] and looking up the values on the internet.

At the moment it seems like they're doing like 1 in 100 so the odds are in your favor... but if you're "the one" that gets checked you're in for a not so fun day and so is the shipper.

We got popped doing a "transit invoice" for a client a while ago and had that country's customs department so far up our ass you could taste the Brylcreem... yeah, there are places that will be happy to undervalue the equipment they send to you until one of their shipments gets stopped and they get Governments breaking their balls and getting court orders to go through their shipping logs and records along while they reconcile those shipping logs and records to your sales orders [which can also result in the good ol' Internal Revenue Service getting a call to come on down and break balls if you're not incredibly co operative!!].

On the whole, it would really depend on how much of a gambler you are and how much you value your time whether or not its worth it to you to save the few dollars... in my world it ain't worth the time nor the agita... but as always, YMMV.

Peace.
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

BAX GLOBAL are great. Very reliable, just imported a synth from the States to UK using them. Highly recommended.
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Addict

Just ordered a bunch of stuff from Redco.com and got them to mark a lower value on the package. They marked the value at $100, and I still had to pay $57 in brokerage fees. F#[email protected] dfegadUPS.

C
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Maniac

As far as I can tell there are three issues being discussed here: tariffs, brokerage, and taxes.

You can use the harmonized codes or just write what the item is on the shipping waybill which should clear you from Customs assigning a tariff on the item. Colin's example of $60 on a $50 item and Colorblind's example of $57 on a $100 item are clearly mostly brokerage charges as Customs tariffs are charged as a percentage of the item and in this case would have been very small. Of course given their proper classification as recording equipment they should be free from customs tariffs period.

Brokerage is charged by a brokerage company to import packages across the border. It's basically a liaison between Customs and the shipping company. Most shipping companies have setup their own brokerage firm so they can make a few extra bucks on the shipment, but they are basically a 3rd party company and can charge you whatever they want. Usually it's a flate rate and isn't based on the cost of the item whatsoever so marking it as "gift" and lowering the value of the item won't help at all. If you ship USPS / Canada Post the fees are very reasonable, generally $5 - $8. If you ship Fedex International Express you'll pay more for the shipping but all brokerage fees are included. If you ship Fedex ground or UPS you'll pay a ridiculous brokerage fee of about $50.

Taxes are pretty obvious and you will pay them based on the value of the item so marking it as a "gift" for $1 will lower the taxes you pay, but as Fletcher said you run the risk of a real pain in the ass if they happen to check up on your shipment.

Craig.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search