The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
JBL LSR6312SP subwoofer reviews? Recommended sub for LSR6332 mains?
Old 26th August 2013
Lives for gear

JBL LSR6312SP subwoofer reviews? Recommended sub for LSR6332 mains?

Running a pair of JBL LSR6332 passive 3-way monitors, they're useful as extra mid-field / distant monitors... but they really need a subwoofer.

The "matching" JBL subwoofer is the JBL LSR6312SP.

The LSR 6312SP has less control than say a Dynaudio sub or some other decent subs out there. Wondering if I should just shoot for the JBL being that, in theory, it is designed for the LSR6332s, OR go with another subwoofer that has more control... and thus I'll be able to fine-tune everything better.

Hoping to hear from some folks that might actually have and use the JBL LSR6312SP. Weaknesses? Like / dislikes? Recommendations? Do you feel you have enough adjustment range given the somewhat limited built-in cross-over controls etc? Or perhaps they're so well mated to the 6332s that not much tweaking is even necessary?

Another way to put it.... for those with LSR6332 monitors, what subwoofer(s) do you prefer / use?

Thanks
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Hope ya don't mind, I'm probably gonna have to bump this a few times until it passes in front of some LSR6332 / LSR6312SP owners.

Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

Two weeks, time for a little bump.

Any info / reviews on the JBL LSR6312SP (or JBL LSR12P) subwoofer would be greatly appreciated.

(LSR12P was the model before the LSR6312SP and is very similar)

Thanks!

Old 16th April 2014
Love mine. I use the 6312P and a 12P (older one). These are virtually the same, minus room correction on the 12P.

I am using them in conjunction with DUAL Stereo fronts, FOUR LSR32s (older 6332) stacked, with the two subs directly below. I use these in surround with LSR28Ps as Center, and rear LR. It kills! I use two Bryston 8BST (8 channels to biamp each 32P) for the LSR32s and either use the passive crossover in the subs when using it with my DAW and switch with a Studio Technol. Surround controller to a Lexicon MC8 Preamp, Lexicon RT10, SOny HD radio, REGA P3 phono for audio listening and even watching DVDS as these kill with home theater and pure audio. I actually bought Steven Tylers 12P sub and Lsr32s to make the full set of what I am running and hung out in Aerosmith's studios.

First off without the subs, it sounded excellent, clean clear and had a nice tight bass. HOWEVER, adding the subs, cut at 80HZ just added another dimension of tight low end! Kick drums sound like kick drums and piano bass lines are killin. The subs are in my opinion a great match. I have read others say that with LSR32 u don;t need a sub, especially with the same 12 inch woofer. I totally disagree. BTW, love the 28Ps too, but love the 32s a bit more, the dedicated midrange driver and larger cab make for a slightly smoother warmer tone, but certainly very similar.

If I had to mention a draw back, maybe it is a positive, it is that it is a fixed active sub, so the 240 I think watts is all your going get out of it. So no flexibility for more power. The 12 inch woofer to my ears, produces very convincing low end, haven;t measured the freq. output in my space for these yet. but they certainly did the trick, sub-wise.

Lastly, these are not going to win a beauty contest if wives are the judges. I basically have a wall of JBL LSRs with this set up and luckily my wife is a pianist/musician, otherwise, these monitors are not living room friendly looking, but obviously in a serious studio they look and most of all sound right at home.

I do have a good deal sound treatment, which is a just critical for this setup. I live in an apartment so made my tracking/playing room and mixing room almost dead with absorption and some sound blocking mass vinyl. And lastly added and adding lots of custom diffusion. Over 50 absorption panels and 20-30 QRDs and various diffusers. Still building, staining, and finishing.

I am sure other subs would work well too but I just my two cents, that I am enjoying my 12p and 6312P subs with the 32s.
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Addict

I used the JBL LSR6312SP with my 6328P's and it was great, matched perfectly, so can't see any issues or reason to use anything else. The system as a whole kicks you in the face and is pretty terrifying for near fields power-wise.
Old 26th April 2015
Here for the gear

Understand, this is quite an old thread, but... Guys, what do you think about using JBL LSR 6312 sub with a pair of JBL LSR 6325?

Last edited by Michael Krivicky; 26th April 2015 at 07:04 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search