The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Male Rock Vocal Sounds.
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Male Rock Vocal Sounds.

Pappa Roach, Amaryllis, Nickelback, Daughtry .......

All seem to have a unique vocal sound but one that seems shared between them.

So from that I am guessing some type of processing other than the standard Mic, EQ, Compression which information is readily available.

Anyone have any ideas seems to me it emphasizes the chest tone and highs. Not sure weather it's harmonic or pitch effected but it's a very gravelly deep tone that doesn't seem all together 100% natural.

But sounds great !!
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

H3000
Old 22nd August 2013
Gear Maniac

I've been wondering about this myself. Especially NickelBack's latest record - it seems emphasised across more than a few tracks in this instance.
Old 22nd August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey View Post
H3000
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

subscribed

To my ears that sound is a chain of a large diafragm microphone, into a neve 1073 preamp, squashed into a '76 / la2a compressors and then some SSL metallic nastiness
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Having a listen to some of the examples mentioned there's clearly a distortion element.
Layering also seems to emphasise the gravelly low mids as well.
Old 22nd August 2013
Pultec, 76, and SSL I guess
Old 7th September 2013
Here for the gear
Hi David,
I've been listening to the isolated vocals of some similar bands. Nickelback, Saliva, and Breaking Benjamin, and I know what you're talking about. The chain I'm experimenting with now involves a very tight doubling and then splitting the vocals off into various FX chains, some with distressing and slight pitch correction or de-correction, some with chorus and bit crushing, etc.. Then combining them back together to taste. You're very right that it's much more than mic>pre>eq>compress. There's a world of mixing slight FX tweaks that can give it that borderline unnatural but not obviously affected sound. I'll let you know if I hit the magic combo, but have fun and experiment! My theory is lots of sends>lots of (slight)FX>blend back with original. By doing this I usually come up with a very cool sounding vocal or utter crap. Good luck!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search