The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anything better and cheaper for vocals than Beta 58a?
Old 8th August 2013
Anything better and cheaper for vocals than Beta 58a?

Hi, folks.
This topic I'd like to dedicate to discussion of analogues of Shure Beta 58a. This mic is used to be my favourite dynamic mic, but as music industry moves forward with every further day, I'd like to know whether anything better than 58a has been crearted.
And of course the puprose: I'm going to use this mic for recording clean/dirty male vocals for rock music only. I know Beta 58a does its job for A+, but still interested in something new.
Price range: < $250 new and < $145 used (or something near that).
Looking forward to your replies.
Sincerely, Michael.
Old 8th August 2013
Gear Guru

Also good for cheap vocals are the SM57/58 with the TAB Funkenwerk T58 transformer (zen pro has it I think). And the old EV mics like the RE15, RE16, DS35, 635a. Maybe even the MXL R40, can upgrade the transformer in these also. I haven't used it for vocals in a mix but when I tested it, seemed promising, or, doable.
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Head

I would imagine that you could do the T48 mod on a Beta 58 as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

SM58
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

Senheisser e835 sounds more clear and open than an sm58. Resulting in a timbre very much akin to the beta58. $99 and this thing is indestructible!
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrake View Post
SM58
sic!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search