The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a suggestion for producer headphones with accurate low end Studio Headphones
Old 6th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Need a suggestion for producer headphones with accurate low end

I need suggestions of headphone which I can do whole mix on with accurate sub low end also a good stereo image

Price range - around 300 just show me what you got

Also I'm coming from yam hs80s if that makes a difference I need the set of cans so I can continue my production in my dorm room... Thanks
Old 6th August 2013
Lives for gear

Ultrasone Pro 900 in use here, most prodigious lows I've ever heard in a set of 'phones. I find them "bass heavy" in fact, but can certainly hear plenty of detail in the bass, and that makes it easy for me to mix with them. Like anything related to hearing though it is subjective and a personal preference, so, YMMV.
Old 6th August 2013
Shure SRH940s. Accurate, flat bass down to 25 - 30 Hz with no hype. If the sub frequencies are really there you will hear them, but if they are weak, the phones won't overemphasize the thin lows. They have very low distortion, but do have a small peak at around 9 kHz so have a lot of natural "air". If a mix is dull-sounding on the 940s, it's really dull. Comfortable and sensitive (100 dB SPL @ 1 mW) , but also easy to drive at 42 ohms. Give em a try.
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Maniac

the shure 940s sound like the ones any other info on them you can pass on?
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Also any thoughts on sennheiser 650?
Old 7th August 2013
Lives for gear
I really like my Beyerdynamic DT770 PROs (250 Ohm).
With a decent amp their low end is very accurate and they go down to about 5 Hz.
IMO they beat anything made by Shure.
Old 7th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Ways View Post
I haven't done exhaustive headphone research, but when I needed a pair a few years ago I got the 650s and have liked them a lot - the imaging is wonderful and they're very detailed. When it comes to bass there seem to be very divergent opinions. Some here say that they're bass- heavy and "hi fi" sounding, especially compared to the 600s (which certainly would be worth consideration too). I find them pretty trustworthy, definitely more analytical sounding than the AKG 240s that I've used for decades.
Old 7th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Ways View Post
Not very detailed in the high end and a little over-emphasized in the low end.
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Maniac

so sennheiser 650 or shure 940 which is the better choice
and thanks for all the insight!
Old 7th August 2013
The Senny 650s are open phones and open phones are usually preferred by persons for mixing. The 940s are less expensive, since they are in the price range you originally quoted, but are closed back (sealed). I find them fine for mixing and tracking since they have great isolation. It really depends on your preference for open or closed-back cans. Shure also makes the open back SRH 1840s which have a good reputation, but I've never tried them since I already have some HD850s. The HD850s have very similar mid-range clarity (lack of distortion) to the SRH940s which is why I'm so high on the Shures. If mid-range distortion is an issue, I'd lean toward the 940s over the HD650s, or maybe try to find some SRH1840s to audition.

For what it's worth, I also have Sony 7509s, 7506s and Senny HD380pros, and the Shure SRH940s beat them all for being able to hear subtle mixing adjustments, although I still use and like the 7509s for tracking sometimes.

Both (650s and the 940s) are fine headphones, and if you have to mix on phones you could do a lot worse.
Old 7th August 2013
Beyerdynamic dt880 are fantastic. Comfortable and accurate.
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Maniac

hey so how much leakage do you normally get from open ended headphones is it very loud since im in a dorm with a mate.
Old 7th August 2013
Lives for gear

For me its the ATH M 50. They translate extremely well with my JBL 6328p monitors.
Old 7th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
I really like my Beyerdynamic DT770 PROs (250 Ohm).
With a decent amp their low end is very accurate and they go down to about 5 Hz.
IMO they beat anything made by Shure.
I like these too!
-Mike
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Maniac

well ive been looking around some more and i know there spendy but im curious about the lcd 2 line of headphones they as good as ive read also is the noise pollution that bad?
Old 7th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
For me its the ATH M 50. They translate extremely well with my JBL 6328p monitors.
I have this same setup! +1 (beyerdynamic dt880s, too)
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Head

+1 AT MTH50s. Flat, natural, accurate.

my sony 7509's are more comfy for long listening sessions, but the MTH50s do better down low.

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search