The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonodyne SM 100AK and alternatives Studio Monitors
Old 6th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Sonodyne SM 100AK and alternatives

Hello there, i am currently considering a bunch of different monitors for serious work but my budget is kinda constrained so i ended up thinking of going after Sonodynes SM 100AK/adams a77x/neumann kh 120 .

The work i do is producing/mixing strictly modern mainstream radio stuff, mainly EDM, but also urban/indie-pop etc. I sometimes get to work on orchestral stuff but this is rare.

I was shooting for focal twins but the price is almost 3 times more and right now it is not possible for me to wait till i have the money as i have projects coming in. I am coming from yamaha's msp5 and while they ain't bad i need more detail and mixing accuracy.

I am mainly concerned about the character of the sonodynes, i 've read nothing but wonderful things about them, but i would love to hear an opinion from people that are working on the same genres as i do. If anyone could compare them to the focals it would give me a good insight.

Thank you everyone.
Old 6th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Anyone? :s Can't really audition sonodynes where i live at..
Old 6th August 2013
Gear Nut

bump. I would like to get some insight on this, too.
Old 6th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aith View Post
Hello there, i am currently considering a bunch of different monitors for serious work but my budget is kinda constrained so i ended up thinking of going after Sonodynes SM 100AK/adams a77x/neumann kh 120 .

The work i do is producing/mixing strictly modern mainstream radio stuff, mainly EDM, but also urban/indie-pop etc. I sometimes get to work on orchestral stuff but this is rare.

I was shooting for focal twins but the price is almost 3 times more and right now it is not possible for me to wait till i have the money as i have projects coming in. I am coming from yamaha's msp5 and while they ain't bad i need more detail and mixing accuracy.

I am mainly concerned about the character of the sonodynes, i 've read nothing but wonderful things about them, but i would love to hear an opinion from people that are working on the same genres as i do. If anyone could compare them to the focals it would give me a good insight.

Thank you everyone.
a77x and 100's will be the top ones to get out of those three by quite some way, A77X are also arguably better than Twins so don't worry about that.

A77X are 3 way though, offer a bigger soundstage of detail especially in the low mid area, and more power in general, but those sonodynes have some serious detail for the price. However their detail is more about letting you hear that detail in the mix as an whole, where as Adams are known for pin pointing everything in a mix in full detail (Like a scope into each part of the mix) Having both is best but just one only an individual would know which is best for them.

The only way you would know which one would fit you in your room is by testing them there. Many stores / distributors will set you up with that. Where you located?
Old 6th August 2013
Gear Guru

I keep seeing people refer to the A77x as 3-way....aren't they just two way with double woofers, i.e. only one crossover frequency?
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I keep seeing people refer to the A77x as 3-way....aren't they just two way with double woofers, i.e. only one crossover frequency?
I 've seen you talking alot about the sonodynes. Does the relaxed midrange of the 200's show up in the 100's too? Have you tried them on the genres i am mentioning in the first post?
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aith View Post
I 've seen you talking alot about the sonodynes. Does the relaxed midrange of the 200's show up in the 100's too? Have you tried them on the genres i am mentioning in the first post?
It's the 100's which have the sweet, relaxed and detailed mid range. The 200's sound awkward and lumpy with a hard and blurry mid range.

I have had most genres through the 100's and they are just great monitors. They do only go down to 60Hz, which seems as if it would make them bad for EDM, but to my mind it doesn't, as they still give great cues on where your bass needs to be, plus they go LOUD and exciting. SUPERB spatial representation, too. To check the very low bits add a set of headphones or a sub. But they work very well on their own.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search