The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LCD Tube around $1,000. Possible
Old 4th August 2013
Here for the gear

LCD Tube around $1,000. Possible

Looking for a better vocal mic for recording in home Studio. Around a $1,000.
Vocals only-Prefer LCD Tube-Presently have a Studio Projects C1 (Circa 2000)
Works great but looking for improvement.
Thanks
Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear

Used Miktek CV4?
Old 4th August 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Aa cm12?
Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear

Depends on what sound you're looking for... obviously... You could get a used Peluso VTB or 22 47 for about that.
Old 4th August 2013
Mojave MA200. It's a smooth tube LDC condenser that's got a balanced frequency response, which makes it flexible on a lot of different sources.
Old 4th August 2013
Here for the gear

I want a mic to use with the very powerful, strong voice I have. I am not a screamer, just powerful. C1 sounds OK sort of, but kind of wimpy-no life, no Here I am - Bam.
Like Roy Orbinson meets Bob Seger and the Skynard Boys.

Mojave MA200 was one I was considering.

Last edited by FrankLuke; 4th August 2013 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear

Ma200
Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear

plus one for the Mojave, the CV-12 works ok as well. Not really fond of LCD tubes around or under 1K
Old 4th August 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus View Post
plus one for the Mojave, the CV-12 works ok as well. Not really fond of LCD tubes around or under 1K
OK-Do you mean I cannot get a good tube condenser for $1,000?

Need to know if I am chasing rainbows here.
Thanks
Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLuke View Post

Thanks
If you can buy an amazing all tube guitar amp for that price or under why couldn't you buy an amazing mic?

Something to think about...
Old 5th August 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant View Post
If you can buy an amazing all tube guitar amp for that price or under why couldn't you buy an amazing mic?

Something to think about...
Yes , I thought I could-I mean my music is for me and family and friends, Don't gig anymore.
Just would like a pretty decent LCD and would like to try a Tube.
So far, The Mojave seems in the lead for me.
Just don't want to jump the gun. But I think I have pretty much asked and checked all around.
Thanks
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

If there are any studios near you with decent mic cabinets, it might be fun and a good investment (how often can you say that???) to buy 2-3 hours of time, bring in stereo mixes of a couple of your songs, and experiment. This is one area where you can't find an answer in a discussion, no matter how knowledgable or forthcoming the other participants are. The voice-microphone combo is very personal and you have to hear it to know what works and what doesn't.
Old 5th August 2013
Gear Head

Mojave MA200
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoDaylight View Post
If there are any studios near you with decent mic cabinets, it might be fun and a good investment (how often can you say that???) to buy 2-3 hours of time, bring in stereo mixes of a couple of your songs, and experiment. This is one area where you can't find an answer in a discussion, no matter how knowledgable or forthcoming the other participants are. The voice-microphone combo is very personal and you have to hear it to know what works and what doesn't.
inescapably true... the best you can do in a discussion is come up with a short list of good value/quality contenders. Even then, you might be surprised at what works for your voice and context, or not...
Old 5th August 2013
Gear Maniac

The stellar cm6 is well under that price and I'm in love with it.
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
honestly for that price point there are not that many, most end up sounding very sibilant and thin . I would go with the mojave.
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
You could get a used Peluso VTB or 22 47 for about that.
Or a 22 251.....paid sub $1K for mine (used).

On my own vocals the 22 251 sounds like this....if that helps at all.

Old 5th August 2013
There's also the Rode K2. Adele likes it, anyway. Then again... I don't know that you sing like Adele.

Personally, if it were me, I would look into a lower cost mic if possible... tube isn't everything, and since you're looking for things that match your voice, I might even go this route:

Consider getting a non-tube LDC like a used older 414 (many models to choose from) or maybe an AT 4047 SP or something, then you could also pick up an SM7b for something that's a bit flatter (also designed for powerful voices, bear in mind) and still come in at under 1k.

It's not like "higher price always equals better sound." As we all know, that's just far from always being the truth at all. Good sound is achieved by creativity, a great performance, and picking and setting tools based on what you would like to hear and/or are able to "foresee" as appropriate for your final mix.

I'd also advise that if you're going to spend 1,000 bucks on ONE mic though, you should really give yourself the chance to TEST it in an environment that you know will reveal whether you'll like or dislike it for the long term.

Good luck and let us know what you enjoy.
Old 5th August 2013
Oh yeah... you could also look into an EV RE-20.

If you've got a powerful voice, typically, what I look for is a mic that has strong, musical mid-range ability... like an 87 or SM7b. If you want airy sweetness, then maybe look at the Avantone 12 model--whatever that red thing is. =)

But again, get something that, hopefully, you can TEST FIRST, and will fit what YOU like to hear in a mix.
Old 5th August 2013
Gear Head

Telefunken Elektroakustik AR-51 Has a smooth mid range, open top end, balanced low frequency translation to make it a great choice on vocals $1895
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

I have a C1 and lots of Neumann legend tube units as well as some of the more economical ones out there.

I would look at a Rode K2 as well. if you really really need a tube mic.
Used ones can go for as low as 700.00 Or a AT 4060 unit used.
I think the K2 new is in your area. I put an NOS Mullard tube in mine and it really brought it up in tone. Its not my M49, U67, M269 or U47, Elam 251, Manley or that league obviously but it does sound really nice. For a few hundred more you can find Pearlmans and Pelusos Lauten Audio. which I use as well..... and have great praise for.

The Lauten Audio Atlantis mic I just bought has really impressed me....although it is a FET and not tube, it sounds quite a bit like a tube and has 3 tone settings gentle, neutral and forward..and 3 level setting minus neutral and adding gain..before your preamp.... and it is a 3 pattern mic. I think it would be hard to not find an acceptable setting on this one to match any voice. It is more money granted but very universal.

One last thing. The C1 was one of the earlier LD condensors for a great price. It is very bright in the upper mids. I wouldn't jump to tube because you think thats the reason that you need one. There are plenty of Fet mics like the Lauten that are killer that do not sound like a C1.
Just my two cents.
Old 5th August 2013
Here for the gear

Well, first thanks for all the advice-I realize (much more now) how hard it is to "recommend" for someone else. I wish I could explain what I want-I can only think of full, thick and smooth. Not much help. The C1 one just sounds "flat and lifeless" I can eq the heck out of it but then it sounds -well, eq'd.
What I am going to get is in this thread-Just need to re read the thread. I grow weary of looking.

The tube thing is because I have read it adds a warmth and some color and intrigues me also. By no means does it have to be.
For example, Mohave has a FET mic like the ma200 that is only $695 new. Also thinking the avatone CV12 and the Rode K2.
I will have a warm Audio wa12 or TB12 behind whatever mic I get.
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

...don't equate price to performance...that's often a disappointing proposition...look into the Stellar CM-5 ($415)...it punches far above it's weight class...easily on par with tube mics in the $1000-1500 price category...let the "search" function be your friend...

Sent from my SPH-M820
Old 5th August 2013
Here for the gear

Figured I'd check out the Stellar cm6-Now they are $557 with shipping. Shipping is $58??? Thought that was weird.
Old 5th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Shipping is $58??? Thought that was weird.
From my experience, he double-boxes with lots of bubble-wrap and ships Priority (2 Day) Mail with insurance and delivery confirmation.
Product arrives promptly & safely.
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Figured I'd check out the Stellar cm6.
...based on your description of your voice, and the fact that you already have a "bright" mic, I'd recommend the CM-5 as possibly a more appropriate match...IMHO, better choice than Rode K2, Avantone CV12 and Mojave MA-200, as I have owned all and only the MA-200 and Stellars have been "keepers" for me...
Old 5th August 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...based on your description of your voice, and the fact that you already have a "bright" mic, I'd recommend the CM-5 as possibly a more appropriate match...
I thought the CM6 was brighter-must have read it wrong.
But there was something about the CM6 I liked better, I'll go back and read some more.

Also if he uses delivery confirmation I cannot get it except at work.
Old 5th August 2013
Man... I saw this this a.m. before I had coffee and all I could think was LCD monitors don't have picture tubes.

LDC... Large Diaphragm Condenser

Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought the CM6 was brighter-must have read it wrong.
But there was something about the CM6 I liked better, I'll go back and read some more.

Also if he uses delivery confirmation I cannot get it except at work.
...the CM-6 is brighter than the CM-5, and since you already have a C1, I was recommending the less-bright (warmer) CM-5...both are outstanding...

...USPS basic delivery confirmation does not require a signature...they simply confirm the box was delivered to the appropriate address...
Old 5th August 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...the CM-6 is brighter than the CM-5, and since you already have a C1, I was recommending the less-bright (warmer) CM-5...both are outstanding...

...USPS basic delivery confirmation does not require a signature...they simply confirm the box was delivered to the appropriate address...
OH OK-Not sure if my C1 is bright anymore-it's pretty old although no smoke near it. Just old. But it has started breaking up when I sing loud and about 8" away. Which used to work fine.

Wjile I am on a roll-I haven't quite pulled the tigger on the warm-so any thoughts for the stellar cm-warm wa12 or focusrite isa 1.
Reason is: focusrite I can charge with no interest for 24 months:-)
๐Ÿ“ Reply