The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LCD Tube around $1,000. Possible
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...a bit more information might benefit your comments...

...the Stellar CM-5 is essentially a "modded" mediocre tube mic, as you say...it is based on well respected audio-tech/modder Dave Thomas' (Advanced Audio) modification of the Apex 460, which includes an upgraded 34mm 6-micron edge-terminated C12-style capsule (replacing the original 32mm 3-micron center-terminated K67-style capsule), an upgraded dual-bobbin T14-style transformer (replacing the single bobbin low-ratio stock transformer), an upgraded Electro-Harmonix 6072 tube (replacing the stock Chinese 12AX7 tube) and a modified CCDA circuit with upgraded metal-film capacitors...a higher quality, vintage-style shockmount also replaces the Apex 460's spring-loaded mount...

...so, you are basically correct in your overall evaluation...you are just not well informed as to the availability of "pre-modded" (or modded at the factory) options like the Stellar and Advanced Audio tube microphone options...
I am well informed, and I know what the Stellar CM-5 is, but as you can see by my "EDIT", I made the mistake of not reading through the whole thread before writing my answer. So I missed the whole CM-5 part - Sorry for that. Usually I tend to read through the whole thread before answering. I didn't suggest a "pre-modded" model because he already owns a mic that has been successfully modded in the past - would have saved him some additional money.
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

And for the record... another reputable bang for the buck "pre-modded" mic vendor is JJ Audio...
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
I am well informed, and I know what the Stellar CM-5 is, but as you can see by my "EDIT", I made the mistake of not reading through the whole thread before writing my answer. So I missed the whole CM-5 part - Sorry for that. Usually I tend to read through the whole thread before answering. I didn't suggest a "pre-modded" model because he already owns a mic that has been successfully modded in the past - would have saved him some additional money.
...sorry, understood...no ill intent all around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
And for the record... another reputable bang for the buck "pre-modded" mic vendor is JJ Audio...
+1
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
...sorry, understood...no ill intent all around...
No problem, first of all my fault, not carefully reading through the thread.

I'm doing a quite similar mod on an SCT-800 (similar to the Apex 460) right now, I'm not finished yet, but I know what wonderful things a quality capsule, quality tube and replacing some critical parts in the audio path can do to this mic (even with the stock transformer - my new transformer is still on it's way across the ocean). So with his CM-5 he definitely got an excellent mic for the money. Exactly what he was asking for
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm doing a quite similar mod on an SCT-800 (similar to the Apex 460) right now, I'm not finished yet, but I know what wonderful things a quality capsule, quality tube and replacing some critical parts in the audio path can do to this mic (even with the stock transformer - my new transformer is still on it's way across the ocean). So with his CM-5 he definitely got an excellent mic for the money. Exactly what he was asking for
...nice!...seeing how you're located across the pond, have you come across this new source for mod gear based in Europe?:
Microphone Capsules, Unmarked Microphones, Mod kits - Mic & Mod

...in the US, the preferred component sources are the proven & established:
http://microphone-parts.com/
http://store.studio939.com/
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
...nice!...seeing how you're located across the pond, have you come across this new source for mod gear based in Europe?:
Microphone Capsules, Unmarked Microphones, Mod kits - Mic & Mod
Great, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Quote:
...in the US, the preferred component sources are the proven & established:
Microphone Capsules and Mod Kits | Microphone Parts
Studio 939 — Home
Indeed I ordered from Microphone-parts and studio 939 in the past (waiting for his new shipment of Alctron mics right now). Very nice and reliable people, but if you have to pay $20-$40 for shipping (which is even a low rate compared to others) you have to think twice before you order something. In fact I organized a small european group buy for cinemag transformers on the Group DIY forum lately to save on shipping - now I see that I just could have ordered it in france on the site you linked! (as we were able to qualify for a volume discount, we still got a better price though).
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed I ordered from Microphone-parts and studio 939 in the past (waiting for his new shipment of Alctron mics right now). Very nice and reliable people
...yes Matt and Chung are both very dedicated and trustworthy people...it's important to support these DIY sources, as what they undertake for the good of the DIY community cannot be underestimated...
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLuke View Post
Well, first thanks for all the advice-I realize (much more now) how hard it is to "recommend" for someone else. I wish I could explain what I want-I can only think of full, thick and smooth. Not much help. The C1 one just sounds "flat and lifeless" I can eq the heck out of it but then it sounds -well, eq'd.
What I am going to get is in this thread-Just need to re read the thread. I grow weary of looking.

The tube thing is because I have read it adds a warmth and some color and intrigues me also. By no means does it have to be.
For example, Mohave has a FET mic like the ma200 that is only $695 new. Also thinking the avatone CV12 and the Rode K2.
I will have a warm Audio wa12 or TB12 behind whatever mic I get.
tubes dont had warmth...thats a big market hype.. most condenser mics are very clear and bright.
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
...yes Matt and Chung are both very dedicated and trustworthy people...it's important to support these DIY sources, as what they undertake for the good of the DIY community cannot be underestimated...
+1
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

I wish people would stop saying LCD. You are not talking about TVs.
Old 10th August 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
I wish people would stop saying LCD. You are not talking about TVs.
I prefer vintage CRT's. I heard the Beatles watched I Love Lucy on CRT's.
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheva View Post
I prefer vintage CRT's. I heard the Beatles watched I Love Lucy on CRT's.
yeah, who doesn't love the good old warm and full sound of a vintage cathode ray tube
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus View Post
tubes dont had warmth...thats a big market hype.. most condenser mics are very clear and bright.
It would truer to say that tubes don't always add warmth, but they certainly do sometimes. And sometimes they add warmth inducing harmonic distortion as well as upper harmonic distortion that can add brightness. In any case, it is the implementation that is at work here, not the type of device.
Old 10th August 2013
Here for the gear

Well, to all you guys. You all certainly know much more than I do about Studio mics-no doubt. I am just a guy who's been playing guitar for about 35 years and always dabbled in recording (at home)with CWPA6.

SP C1 was my first and only Condenser mic purchased around year 2000-first batch. Never owned a mic pre either-only in mixers and audio interfaces.

But I am happy to say I definitely have taken a big leap forward with the CM5 and Warm Audio WA12. Recorded Vocals are like night and day.

That, my friends, is the bottom line to this whole thread-at least for me.

Thanks to "all" again
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
It would truer to say that tubes don't always add warmth, but they certainly do sometimes. And sometimes they add warmth inducing harmonic distortion as well as upper harmonic distortion that can add brightness. In any case, it is the implementation that is at work here, not the type of device.
Yes I know, I was just generalizing. I think your better finding warmth by pairing your choice of mic with a great transistor pre with heavy transformers.
Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
ga·zil·lion
[guh-zil-yuhn]
noun Informal
1. an extremely large, indeterminate number.

...wow, that alone is amazing testimony...never realized, thanks!
A gazillion and then some and they don't sound like an avantone cv12. They got something cheap sounding going on in the high frequencies but hey that's just my opinion. I'm not trying to sell anything.
Old 11th August 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohomoho View Post
A gazillion and then some and they don't sound like an avantone cv12. They got something cheap sounding going on in the high frequencies but hey that's just my opinion. I'm not trying to sell anything.
Hey, thanks for the only negative posts in this thread (2)-feel much better about my purchase.
Both of your posts obviously are personal in nature, (not aimed at me I realize)
That's twice you mention "selling" or pushing a certain brand\mic.

All the other folks here were very helpful and they all certainly didn't promote the CM6-. or even like it. But they didn't have an agenda.

But, then again, there opinions were meant to help.........
Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohomoho View Post
A gazillion and then some and they don't sound like an avantone cv12.
...that parts true...they sound better...and that's from a guy who has owned/used many of the mics mentioned in this thread (including a CV-12 with upgraded NOS GE triple-mica black-plate 6072 tube, also recently dispatched via craigslist)...

...to each his own...
Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLuke View Post
Hey, thanks for the only negative posts in this thread (2)-feel much better about my purchase.
Both of your posts obviously are personal in nature, (not aimed at me I realize)
That's twice you mention "selling" or pushing a certain brand\mic.

All the other folks here were very helpful and they all certainly didn't promote the CM6-. or even like it. But they didn't have an agenda.

But, then again, there opinions were meant to help.........
No worries, just do a search. Hope you love your purchase.
📝 Reply