The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KRK Rokit P6 ground loop problem
Old 31st July 2013
Here for the gear

KRK Rokit P6 ground loop problem

I recently bought a new pair of Rokit Powered 6. I connected them with RCA cabled to the motherboard of my PC (green audio plug). From the very start the speakers made a tipical ground loop noise, depending on CPU load, mouse movements etc. I assembled my PC, it exists of quality componentes... The motherboard I use is a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H.

I then bought an audio interface with balanced outputs and USB-powered: ESI 24 XL. Now my speakers are connected to the audio interface with balanced TRS cables, but I still have this buzzing noise...

I searched the internet and tried several things:
- disconnect the TSR cables -> no more buzzing sound, so the speakers itself are OK i guess;
- try another power supply -> still a buzzing sound;
- connect the audio interface to another USB-port -> still a buzzing sound;

I am running out of options... My best guess is that the problem lies in the power supply of the audio interface (USB-powered)..

Can anyone give me advice on this frustrating problem?

thank you all
Old 20th August 2013
Here for the gear

Did I place this at the wrong sub-forum?
Old 7th September 2013
Here for the gear

Hi, the ground loop issue occurs because the KRK's and the computer are all grounded through the power cables connected to the same mains ground. there are two resolutions:
1. Use a ground loop isolator (Google for info; buy or make one)
2. buy an external soundcard (i.e.: USB card) with it's own power supply

Good luck,

Jan
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search