The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading Genelec 8030a monitors... Studio Monitors
Old 30th July 2013
Here for the gear

Upgrading Genelec 8030a monitors...

Hi folks,

I've recently finished putting my studio together and I need a pair of monitors that will translate to other systems very well for final mix/mastering applications, but also offer a very detailed window during tracking.

My budget is UK £2000 give or take 10% (for both speakers).

I currently own a pair of GENELEC 8030a monitors, which I generally like, but I'm still not convinced they translate so well, especially since their bass response is rather limited and that's where I'm having the most issues. But I also never know if I've used enough (or too much) reverb since this seems to vary on other systems when I take my mixes out.

I have two choices, either to add a subwoofer to my current setup, or to buy a new pair of monitors, probably EVENT OPALs.

What I need is a system that will sound great in the studio, but most importantly that my master cuts will sound great once they leave the studio!

My control room is medium/small sized, but big enough to work in. I have good acoustic treatment especially great bass trapping. I've laid the foundations, just need the cherry to put on top of the cake!

Any advice?

Thanks!

gnomebottom
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Addict

I was blown away by the Focal range during a recent monitor hunt. If I had the money, I'd be grabbing a pair of those, they made everything else look sucky and it caused me physical pain to not be able to buy them.
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Guru

The Geithain RL906 are in that price bracket - review here.

My top 5 have always been (alphabetically): ATC, Geithain, Harbeth, Neumann/K+H, PMC.

I have Harbeth, K+H and Geithain (the RL906 is my "go to" monitor) and am well acquainted with the ATC and PMC.
Old 30th July 2013
Here for the gear

Cool, just about to read the review

I think my problem with the Genelecs is 'depth placement' when I think I've placed a sound in the foreground during mixing, and then I review on another system, sometimes that element is almost lost in the background, very frustrating!
Old 30th July 2013
Here for the gear

Wow, those Geithain look extremely cool. Only one issue, the review says they start to roll off below 85hz. Since my main application will be film music recording/mixing (think Ramin Djawadi's Game Of Thrones title music), I need a system that extends down to the extremely low Double Bass notes, and for example the massive Taiko Drum (not sample library but recorded live).

Cheers for the tips so far!
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomebottom View Post
Wow, those Geithain look extremely cool. Only one issue, the review says they start to roll off below 85hz. Since my main application will be film music recording/mixing (think Ramin Djawadi's Game Of Thrones title music), I need a system that extends down to the extremely low Double Bass notes, and for example the massive Taiko Drum (not sample library but recorded live).

Check out Adam S2X, Event Opal & Unity Audio The Rock.

They will be your best bet in this price range.
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Guru

It might be the monitors but have you tried to move the monitors around to make sure it is not how you have them set up? Have you tested at the mix spot to make sure you are not sitting in a null? You can use the following free program to test.
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomebottom View Post

This is the frequency response curve:-

When I compared the RL901 side by side with the top of the range RL901K which goes a lot lower, I could not tell the difference between them initially as they sounded identical. The only way I could tell them apart was that the large ones went down lower - but the difference was minimal.

As you are in the UK, try and get along to KMR in London where you can listen and properly compare all the monitors that are recommended - I am pretty sure they hold all the ones mentioned and will often allow you to try out in your own space.
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

All good advice so far. I have Geithain monitors myself (the larger 922K1s), and I'm very satisfied with them. If you want me to point out some monitors that go much deeper than double basses (E1 / 40Hz?) at around £2000 a pair, the Event Opals look like they fit the bill. But you might also try the Trident Audio HG3s and Unity Audio The Rocks if you have the chance. It's more important to buy something that you're able to try, instead of blindly trusting online recommendations.

You don't clearly state if you have the same budget for the "add a subwoofer" option, but if you do, I can recommend JL Audio Fathom F110. One of the challenges with adding a subwoofer to a system, is being able to integrate it nicely with your existing speakers without too much interference, and the Fathom is very configurable in that matter. But I must warn you that it is quite big and heavy, and your studio needs some available space and flexibility when finding a proper spot for it (not just putting it in a corner).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search