The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting that smooth distorted guitar sound
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Not a Korg pedal but the Korg A3. I did a bunch of stuff with and for Stan and he got amazing sounds out of the A3.
He's actually the reason I got obsessed by recording!LOL

Aw yes, that's right. He did say that. I just consider all that " non amp " stuff to be a pedal essentially but I get your point. There is a distinction,
Old 31st July 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
OP, if you've got the same set of multi's and others are getting the sound, it's probably much, much simpler than anything you've got in mind.

In all likelihood it's your balances, and in particular the relationship of the bass to the guitars. In my experience, if you can get the bass and guitars to merge seamlessly and become one column of sound from the floor to head height (save the ceiling for cymbals and maybe snare snap and vocal air), you're guitars will sound smooth as butter because they'll have warmth, weight, and definition all the way down, without the mud that usually results from trying to get the guitars to sound that way on their own.

Faders are everything in this game.

Also, try eq'ing and mixing at 40dB. Get a dB meter app for your phone, have the full mix going, and have it peak at 40dB. Listen to some ref tracks at that volume too to get a feel for how things are supposed to poke thru at that barely-audible volume. It's a threshold-of-hearing exercise, and will teach you a lot about what freqs and instruments are actually at the front of the mix.

Lastly, consider the notion that 'chasing tones' is a rabbit hole with little payoff imho; a smooth guitar sound is useless in a boring/flat/lifeless mix. The secret to truly great mixes is not good sounds, it's compelling movement, energy, and dynamics. That's a holistic perspective, not an individualized focus. Ironically, the more interesting and compelling a mix tends to be from a movement and (un)balance perspective, the more the individual sounds tend to be perceived as 'better', because the overall context is so much satisfying emotionally.

This is, first and foremost, a mindgame; I respectfully submit that you may be focusing on the wrong part of the chess board.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Great perspective! I'll give your suggestions a try
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search