The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
favorite Deesser plug-ins for PT ??
Old 12th November 2003
Lives for gear

favorite Deesser plug-ins for PT ??

I'm working on some male Voice Over that was recorded in a less than ideal acoustic situation using AKG414 and Mackie pre's:-(
Anyways, i'm using PT HD and after EQ the VO tracks to where it sounded decent, i find the S's standing out a bit too much...what's some of your favorite trick for DeEssing and plug-ins in TDM land ?? and how about curing the popping problems ??? Thanks
Old 12th November 2003
Waves C4 multi band compressor?
Old 12th November 2003
Lives for gear

Rennaisance De-Esser is pretty good for sibilance control in a plugin.

For plosive pops, I sometimes automate the frequency setting on a good highpass filter (ie: McDSP Filterbank). Leave it low, and yoink it up to around 150hz or so, just for the plosive impact. ... Or audiosuite process to do the same (but a crossfade will usually be necessary).

-dave
Old 12th November 2003
Lives for gear

all and none. Renaissance will start .... if not satisfactory the normal waves will follow, and I'll even use the digi one from time to time. All three of them can be great or the complete oposite of great.

sometimes only automation helps. usually a combination of both. light de-essing with a little help from automation .
Old 12th November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
Rennaisance De-Esser is pretty good for sibilance control in a plugin.

-dave
Yeah. Much, much better than a DBX902 IMO. Automatable too.
Old 12th November 2003
Motown legend

If you've got the time, AudioSuite is the way to go for sibilance and pops.
Old 12th November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
If you've got the time, AudioSuite is the way to go for sibilance and pops.
---------------------------
hi bob

why ??? please explain
s
Old 12th November 2003
Lives for gear

Bob,

Wich Audiosuiteplug-ins are you refering to ??? Thanks
Old 12th November 2003
Gear Addict
The digirack DeEsser works pretty good for me.
Old 12th November 2003
Lives for gear

I do not think Digirack´s de-esser is so accurate as the Waves model.
If you look at Paz, while "s" phrases are sung/spoken, you´ll see sometimes there are two or three different "S" zones one can take care of.
I have seen cases where the singer had 3 different S regions, like:

Probably Audiosuite is the way to go in extreme cases.
Old 12th November 2003
Motown legend

When you just spot treat the file, are only treating the pops and esses. Most de-essers cost you some transparency. I use a pretty wide variety. I guess the ren de-esser is the first I'll try but when I don't like the results, often the C-1 sounds better or the digi or a section of the Lin. multi band.

For pops, either a high pass or a dip around 80 usually gets it.
Old 13th November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
When you just spot treat the file, are only treating the pops and esses. Most de-essers cost you some transparency. I use a pretty wide variety. I guess the ren de-esser is the first I'll try but when I don't like the results, often the C-1 sounds better or the digi or a section of the Lin. multi band.

For pops, either a high pass or a dip around 80 usually gets it.
-----------------------------

thanks bob , got ya & i must say i agree. my favorite d-sser hardware or plug-in is the waves renaissaince d-sser , however it absolutely does take away some of the transperency , no doubt about it. thats why i must alway get my vocal sounds with that plug in already in place , as a couple of times it was a last minute decision to throw on a d-sser and it really upset me because it wrecked my vocal sound. and i tend to use the d-sser last inthe chain too so it was totallyy due to its addition. i had to re eq and the like - what a drag. as for doing it in audio suite , i would say that for me that would be difficult because that would have to be done toward the end of a mixing project as i never know how much or what kind of compression or attack times will be used on a vocal until i am blending it in the actual mix. as for audiosuite-ing the pops out before a mix, that would work for me a lot better. i still like to get obsessive and sometimes drag the sss-es to anoth track - but thats a bit nuts.
thanks for the clarity bob.
s
Old 13th November 2003
Lives for gear

It sucks when they use a crossover instead of dynamic equalization
Old 13th November 2003
Gear Head

I know its not really a de-essing comment...

Although for me it's the Waves De-esser everytime... Works like a charm.

But has anybody had a go with the TC-Spark De-Clicker...
Man - that puppy is unbelieveable... Take a battered old vinyl and try your luck... Used correctly it eliminates all the cracks & pops and without hurting the overall sound... It is a miracle worker.
Its the thing I turn to for de-popping audio takes everytime..

Only probelm is - that you have to use TC-Spark to get to it..

Come on TC - let the boys have a native TDM version..
Old 13th November 2003
Lives for gear

I like normal waves better than renaissance one. It's costs me less transparency. But, automation is the key to not loose any highs with any de-esser plugin.
Old 13th November 2003
Motown legend

I definitely hear both of them while they are doing nothing.
Old 13th November 2003
Lives for gear

I have to say for me the DBX 902 still can't be beat. I've tried just about every software de-esser and have yet to be satisfied. So for now I still go outboard on vocals and take the opportunity to also go through my Neve compressors. I'm currently mixing a project with another engineer whoe usually uses software de-essing and he was shocked at the difference.

Rob
Old 13th November 2003
Gear Maniac

I use the Waves c1 sidechain with the de-ess preset....works quite well
Old 13th November 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by robmix
I have to say for me the DBX 902 still can't be beat. I've tried just about every software de-esser and have yet to be satisfied.

Rob
Have you tried either the Digital Valley people unit or the Weiss?

I think those are most versatile and transparent you can find.

TheTC DBmax and DBX Quantumn II are also good(for a cheaper price).

Also in the analog realm, I would put the desser in the Voxbox ahead of the 902(too bad they don't make the desser anymore as an outboard unit).

Also good ones are LA22(my first choice goto mixdown lead vocal comp) and the BSS DPR 901.
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Addict

What about the Massey?
Old 19th May 2009
Deleted bd1be4f
IMO the Massey De-esser wins hands down. I shot it out against my dbx 902's and ended up selling the 902's the next day.
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
IMO the Massey De-esser wins hands down. I shot it out against my dbx 902's and ended up selling the 902's the next day.
and what against the McDSP and Eiosis?
Old 19th May 2009
Second the MAssey.... Saved some mixes a bunch lately...

High-end plug-ins for Pro Tools

Doc
Old 19th May 2009
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel View Post
and what against the McDSP and Eiosis?
I tried the Eiosis, it was okay, but nowhere near as intuitive and quick to dial in as the Massey, which takes no time at all, and in that sense is IMO the equal to the dbx 902 not just in sonic quality but also ease of use.

The McDSP and Sonnox ones I didn't bother trying. Once I got the Massey I realized I had no further need to go trying out any more de-essers.
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Addict

Massey does it again. Anything that guy makes is gold.
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
I tried the Eiosis, it was okay, but nowhere near as intuitive and quick to dial in as the Massey, which takes no time at all, and in that sense is IMO the equal to the dbx 902 not just in sonic quality but also ease of use.

The McDSP and Sonnox ones I didn't bother trying. Once I got the Massey I realized I had no further need to go trying out any more de-essers.
Yeah I tried and really liked it..just a great DeEsser it is a very important tool.... the Eiosis I think is too expensive ...I want to try the Sonnox and McDSP as well...is no doubt the Massey is awesome and an amazing product ..and if you consider the price ..thumbsup

But really want to find the best one.
Old 19th May 2009

6 years later... and I'm still using the Waves plugin.
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Head

I'm not sure what it is with people on this site and Massey, but it seems a little strange to me. This website is practically a living advertisement for the guy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the CT4 and L2007 and even the TD5 on some stuff, but thats about it. The other plugs are mediocre at best, and I rarely find any use for them where they really sound good.

I've got no grudge with the plugins, or Massey himself. I respect him and his business model a lot, but it baffles me how any thread about plugins on Gearslutz turns into a Massey commercial.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 19th May 2009

I have used the Waves Ren De-esser for 8 years
I just switched to the McDSP de-esser. By far the best for me.
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Massey De-esser

I think the De-esser is actually the best Massey plug-in (and I like most of his other stuff fairly well). It's astonished me with its transparency and flexibility–it sounds exceptionally good and is incredibly easy to use but can do some different useful things if you get into the more complex controls. There's really not much reason not to try the demo.

The Renaissance isn't bad. I've gotten decent results with multiband compressors. I prefer the Massey. Don't even touch the stock Digi–I've known of two people in decent studios having to reprint mixes because the stock Digi de-esser was distorting. Of course, I have no idea why they didn't hear it; they, rather than the gear, were the ones responsible–but I personally wouldn't ever use gear that distorts the sound so undesirably in the first place anyway.

As for plosives even moreso than with transients, automation is the best workaround.

Be well.

Grayson

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search