The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drawmer 1968ME or Distressor?.... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrick19 View Post
I'm looking at a Distressor, the Drawmer 1968, and the Roll Music Super Stereo Compressor... I don't live in an area where I can rent these to try them out.
But you do live in an area where Mercenary can ship to you (and you can ship back). They aren't going to let you get stuck with the one you don't want. I suggest you try the RMS first, because it works well for both tracking and 2-bus (ok, actually because I make money off it). If it's not your cup of tea, send it back and get one of the others. You'll come out miles ahead of where you'll be if you just accept the biased and half-informed opinions of all us clowns here on the Intertron. If your credit card can handle it, get all three units at once with the pre-established understanding that you'll be sending two of them back (accepting the risk that you'll love all three so much you'll have to keep them all, like a true Gearslut). Nothing beats a side-by-side comparison.
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
So, how does a cracked fuse cause distortion on the right-hand channel?
There are two units in question; we have seen the first, which had a cracked fuse. That unit was not a manufacturing flaw but damaged from the outside somehow (shipping??).

The other, the one with a bad channel, is not here yet.
Brad
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

well, there's a reason that they pronounce UPS as "oops"

Now that someone's brought up the subject, I'm also torn between the 1968, MC77, and Distressor... but just plan on using it for voiceover.

Any takers on that one? I've heard all three recommended for vox, so it's a tough decision for me (and sadly, nobody out here has one to play with).
Old 14th December 2006
Gear Nut

A question about the drawmer 1968

I just bought one last week...

I have a problem with it. The channels inputs don't match

I use it as a bus compressor and if I put a mono signal through it I have to really change the treshold on the left channel to have the same amount of GR.

also to have an even output, I have to give the left channel more...

if I put it in to stereo link, the GR is way off....

any idea's?
Old 14th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by demaarten View Post
A question about the drawmer 1968

I just bought one last week...

I have a problem with it. The channels inputs don't match

I use it as a bus compressor and if I put a mono signal through it I have to really change the treshold on the left channel to have the same amount of GR.

also to have an even output, I have to give the left channel more...

if I put it in to stereo link, the GR is way off....

any idea's?
i have a 1968, When I bought (a 1 1/2 ago), one VU was a bit off too... you have to open it and adjust it with a screwdriver, it's really easy...Drawmer explained to me that the Vu are directly affected by the FET circuitry and it can drift with time/ temperature but most likely during transport.
Old 14th December 2006
Gear Nut

can you give me exact details where to do that?

and the bigger problem, what channel is off? left or right

thanx
Old 14th December 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I'd suggest you hold off on the 1968 thing for at least a few weeks... there seems to be a "quality control" issue. We just had two with relatively close serial numbers pass through the joint that grew some untenable distortion on the right channel after a couple of weeks of use.

I know M-A is putting all Drawmer product on a 2 week "burn-in/QC" regimen for at least the next 6 or so months... on the bright side, distressors always work, and for the most part, always sound really good in every application [except 2 buss work].

Best of luck with the search.
Do you happen to know which serial numbers this problem is occuring with? I just bought a used one a short while ago and havn't really used it yet and won't for another couple of weeks. I hope the one I just snagged isn't one that is problematic.
Old 14th December 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
Hi all:
The answer is in on the bad 1968. It had a cracked fuse, everything else checked great. External hit damage for sure, I am sure in shipping somewhere. Thermal Relief, our Drawmer service center (who is excellent by the way) replaced the fuse, went through it with a fine tooth comb and gave a clean bill of health. We paid freight on getting it back to the customer who should have it in a few days.

There is/was no "bad run" or QC related problem(s) on 1968's or any other Drawmers. We are the source for all of them sold in the US over the last 10 years so I see 100% of what goes wrong. Drawmer's outgoing QC is first rate, so the occassional problem is nearly always traceable to shipping. Like this situation here, a cracked fuse, we have things in place to take care of such problems.

You can keep your faith in Drawmer and the 1968Mercenary Edition!
Brad
Ok. I didn't get to this post before I asked the question in my post above. Good to hear it is a small issue.
Old 14th December 2006
Lives for gear

If you are looking for a jack of all trades for tracking, you might consider the Distressor. It works on everything and is a great tone shaper as well if you want to use it that way. It will also help you get a handle on compression if you are new to it. The Drawmer is great too though...
Old 14th December 2006
Lives for gear

I would always start with a two channel Comp! You are able to use it on the bus which is not possible with one mono comp, unless you mix monophonic material!
Old 14th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour View Post
i have a 1968, When I bought (a 1 1/2 ago), one VU was a bit off too... you have to open it and adjust it with a screwdriver, it's really easy...Drawmer explained to me that the Vu are directly affected by the FET circuitry and it can drift with time/ temperature but most likely during transport.
Baaikonour:
If its brand new from dealer, I'd be all over that dealer to help me. All dealers are supposed to support the product they sell and if they don't - find a new dealer!

If it is used, Drawmer factory/distribution is in the UK, you can call them they are not that far from you, in Wakefield. Call your dealer first but if its used call Drawmer at (192) 437-8669 and they can tell you how to get service.

The question to ask (what the dealer would likely ask) is if you tried the unit in a different rig or wiring set up to be 100% sure its the unit. There are many variables in pro audio rigs from cables to settings on other units before or after the unit in question. You need to check every variable you can think of: switch cables, move the unit to a different spot in the chain, double check the other units in the chain, etc, to see if the problem remains exactly the same in all cases-then you know you have a bad unit.

Brad
Old 14th December 2006
Gear Nut

I bought a new 1968ME here in the UK - it is MUCH cheaper than a Distressor here (£800 vs £1200). Anyway, it worked beautifully when it arrived and then within half a day stopped working (controls didn't do anything to the sound).

I called up Drawmer and they told me to check the internal fuse - it's an inline fuse in a kind of plastic screw together unit. The unit had come loose, presumably during transit. I screwed the plastic fuse holder together a bit more tightly with my hands and that was that. All has worked perfectly since.

It's a great compressor - I've used it live on vocals and bass; I've used it for tracking all kinds of stuff and I've used it as a 2-buss comp when mixing. Subtle warmth and peak smoothing when you want it, but can also be hit hard with no complaints.

Andrew
Old 15th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
Baaikonour:
If its brand new from dealer, I'd be all over that dealer to help me. All dealers are supposed to support the product they sell and if they don't - find a new dealer!

If it is used, Drawmer factory/distribution is in the UK, you can call them they are not that far from you, in Wakefield. Call your dealer first but if its used call Drawmer at (192) 437-8669 and they can tell you how to get service.

The question to ask (what the dealer would likely ask) is if you tried the unit in a different rig or wiring set up to be 100% sure its the unit. There are many variables in pro audio rigs from cables to settings on other units before or after the unit in question. You need to check every variable you can think of: switch cables, move the unit to a different spot in the chain, double check the other units in the chain, etc, to see if the problem remains exactly the same in all cases-then you know you have a bad unit.

Brad
thanks brad but my 1968 is doing fine...i was just replying to the previous poster's question!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search