The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum cymbal trick??
Old 20th July 2013
Gear Nut

Drum cymbal trick??

Hey guys,

Lately, for recording I've been really into recording drums in mono - one general perspective mic about 30cm above kick, pointing at snare (Shure KSM141) and a kick mic (AKG D112). Only problem I have is too much cymbal/hat bleed. Irrespective of playing style, I'm always finding myself wanting less cymbals - I've tried taping cymbals, using different varieties etc but they still cut through a bit too much.

I was thinking of grabbing some yoga mats that I've got at home, clipping them to some mic stands and putting them in front of the cymbals/hats to help absorb some of the shrill highs.

Has anyone tried a variation of this with any success? I'm going to try it anyway, but would like to hear your experience...

Cheers!

Darren

Last edited by bellchilton; 20th July 2013 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: Bad grammar
Old 20th July 2013
Gear Addict

Perhaps a hyper cardioid mic or a figure 8 for the general mic?
Old 21st July 2013
Led
Lives for gear

You could try positioning your main mic behind the drummer on the floor tom side pointing towards the snare, sort of looking over his shoulder.
This should get the cymbals a little off axis which will dull them a bit and give you a clear line of sight to the snare.
Old 22nd July 2013
Here for the gear

I'd try these things:

- firstly ask the drummer for less weight on the cymbal hits
- use quieter, drier cymbals
- use a ribbon mic pointed below the cymbals
- put lots of cymbal top end into the cans (drummer won't hit them as hard...)

Chris
Old 9th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Maybe try pulling your perspective mic away from the kit. I always had way too much cymbals when i was learning my earthworks drum mic's, and as soon as I added 8-12 inches between the kit and the mic's, it all cleared up and balanced the whole kit.
Old 11th August 2013
Gear Maniac

How do you find the Earthworks mics? I saw Gotye and Coldplay were using them last year for touring...

Rohan
Old 29th August 2013
Gear Maniac

I LOVE my earthworks mic's. The two omni overhead mics land in that realm of mics that just about never need eq. The kick is still a challenge, but I've gotten some great sounds out of it.

Sent from my novo9-Spark
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellchilton View Post
Hey guys,

Lately, for recording I've been really into recording drums in mono - one general perspective mic about 30cm above kick, pointing at snare (Shure KSM141) and a kick mic (AKG D112). Only problem I have is too much cymbal/hat bleed. Irrespective of playing style, I'm always finding myself wanting less cymbals - I've tried taping cymbals, using different varieties etc but they still cut through a bit too much.

I was thinking of grabbing some yoga mats that I've got at home, clipping them to some mic stands and putting them in front of the cymbals/hats to help absorb some of the shrill highs.

Has anyone tried a variation of this with any success? I'm going to try it anyway, but would like to hear your experience...

Cheers!

Darren
While your mucking around with Drums, if you get the chance to try a Shotgun Over the Shoulder Straight into the "Snare".....it can sound very snappy and Sharp! Also you tend to get great focus and not much Cymbal Bleed! Just a thought!
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Maniac

How about a darker overhead mic in general? EV 635a?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search