The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who can tell me why the Original Whammy is better than re-issues?
Old 13th September 2006
Gear Nut

Who can tell me why the Original Whammy is better than re-issues?

I have used many digitech products over the years that have had the whammy stuff built-in, they never really seemed that great. Can anyone explain to me how the original whammy (wh-1) works differently? I know it's not using tubes or analog oscillators or anything that old school. So why can't this stompbox be properly modeled in software or at least on some newer hardware?

- b
Old 13th September 2006
Gear Addict

I can't say exactly why as I'm not a tech in that way but when the second generation Whammy first appeared I took my original WH -1 in and compared it side by side with the new one, the newer didn't sound as good in that the tone seemed a little less hi-fi. The wH-1 already futzes with the tone enough already and the new version did even more so I kept my original...
Old 13th September 2006
Lives for gear

I tried a wh-1 after hearing Charlie Sexton tear it up with one at an Arc Angels show. I couldn't do much with it. Just sounded like typical digitech stuff to me. It was cool for about a minute. From what I understand, they changed some presets with subsequent versions and eventually came full circle with the RI. Supposedly, there are good ones and not so good ones from the first series. That might just be the players/collectors justifying their purchase too.
Old 13th September 2006
Lives for gear

Mainly for durablility reasons.
The first one is metal, the rest were plastic.

I have an original and I use it a lot.
It is far from transparent though.
Old 13th September 2006
Lives for gear

I heard that Ed O'Brien's guitar tech has been given carte blance to buy originals at any price due to the tracking characteristics.

Only heresay, though.
Old 13th September 2006
Gear Head

I have an original and have compared it to a brand new reissue. The tone is only slightly different. The main difference I noticed was that the new one had latency. Slight, but enough to mess up your coordination if you play fast. Other than that, it tracked almost the same.

By the way, the original definitely changes your tone even in bypass. Have heard that Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine) likes the way it does that.

prismatic
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

There is latency in some new ones I've played, its very small, but you can feel it while playing.

The new ones impart a "cheap" tone IMO, the right one sounds a little edgier, but somehow still sounds smoother.

good pedal to have,...even if you'lle just replace other peoples newer ones for cutting tracks.
Old 14th September 2006
Gear Maniac

it's smalller?
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

That's not why guys, the IVL chip that did the pitch shifting was discontinued and replaced by something the accountants thought sounded better. You can search the gearpage and other guitar forums for the details.

Andy
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
That's not why guys, the IVL chip that did the pitch shifting was discontinued and replaced by something the accountants thought sounded better. You can search the gearpage and other guitar forums for the details.

Andy
That's exactly it.

The reissues really don't quite some the same. Not bad, but not the distinct sound of the originals, if you ask me. I had an original for years, and ended up selling it for $450! I'm sure they go for even MORE than that now.
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I have built a true-bypass switch for mine as it was driving up the wall.

JR
Old 19th September 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:

Andy
Wow, that makes a lot of sense to me. I have used many IVL products over the years, usually under the banner of digitech or kramer. All those products were very cool and pitch related, wonder if that same chip is in use there (?). Latency has surely been an issue with all the emulated whammy's I've used, definitely going to look around for one of these puppies.

Thanks to all for the replies, I knew someone here would know

- b
Old 22nd September 2006
Here for the gear

I'm desperate to buy an original whammy... if anyone has one up for sale let me know
Old 28th September 2006
Here for the gear

No one?
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Not what you want to hear, but I will never sell mine.

JR
Old 29th September 2006
Old 29th September 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
wow! cool. i browsed the manual for this thing and noticed the midi spec says it takes pitchbend. ?!? does that mean this thing can "do the wammy"? or is it strictly a harmony machine?

- b
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclock View Post
wow! cool. i browsed the manual for this thing and noticed the midi spec says it takes pitchbend. ?!? does that mean this thing can "do the wammy"? or is it strictly a harmony machine?

- b
Yes it does the whammy trick and sounds just the same as the original pedal too.
Old 29th September 2006
Gear Nut

very interesting stuff. i hate to use up an entire rackspace for such a device, but i also hate stomp boxes. i was already looking into ways to rackmount and midify a WH-1. i'll be on the lookout for one of these. thanks slutz.

- b
Old 16th October 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
ok, i think there might be some confusion here. it may be on my part but maybe not.

it seems under closer inspection that the DHP-33 uses the IVL chip and takes pitchbend. but the IPS-33 does not take pitchbend and makes no mention of IVL in it's manual or faceplate. is it the DHP that sysexguy is thinking of, and not the IPS? if so is the DHP-55 also the IVL chip that is used in the wh-1?

- b
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclock View Post
ok, i think there might be some confusion here. it may be on my part but maybe not.

it seems under closer inspection that the DHP-33 uses the IVL chip and takes pitchbend. but the IPS-33 does not take pitchbend and makes no mention of IVL in it's manual or faceplate. is it the DHP that sysexguy is thinking of, and not the IPS? if so is the DHP-55 also the IVL chip that is used in the wh-1?

- b
There's 2 different versions, the IPS-33 and IPS-33B. It's the B version you need. It is the same as the DHP-33 with a different faceplate. DHP-33 is good too. Don't get the DHP-55, it sounds different. So to sum up, what you're looking for is either an IPS-33B, a DHP-33 or an original WH1. Oh yeah, one other thing. With the rack versions, you can do the U2 shimmer guitar tone too...
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Luminous View Post
There's 2 different versions, the IPS-33 and IPS-33B. It's the B version you need. It is the same as the DHP-33 with a different faceplate. DHP-33 is good too. Don't get the DHP-55, it sounds different. So to sum up, what you're looking for is either an IPS-33B, a DHP-33 or an original WH1. Oh yeah, one other thing. With the rack versions, you can do the U2 shimmer guitar tone too...

excellent, thanks for the breakdown. thumbsup

- b
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Addict

I had always heard that the original software was from a third party company. Eventually, Digitech saw an opportunity to increase profits, and came up with their own version.

Not 100% sure the story is accurate, but that's the way I heard it.
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

I have a DHP-33. It's WAY more versatile than a typical Whammy pedal, but the tracking/sound quality is something less to get excited about. I only use it in a live, full band scenario to mask the artifacts and such. Maybe it's just worst for the intelligent harmonies, though? Now that I think of it, I haven't used it as an actual "whammy pedal" for a while... I'm in the middle of building a new rig, so I'll have to fire it up and check it out again!

Anybody here tried coaxing whammy effects out of the TC units with an expression pedal? (G-Force/G-Major)
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgraff View Post
Not 100% sure the story is accurate, but that's the way I heard it.
ya, i think that's pretty much true. IVL (i believe they are in canada) was involved with a lot of digitech products like the pitchrider, talker, some of the vocal harmonizers and apparently some of these guitar harmonizers (and whammy's).

- b
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

The sale I linked was an IPS-33B, the regular IPS is not going to do it (as mentioned).....IVL's done some great products for lots of 3rd party companies.

Fidelity and harmonization come at a price (Eventide)

I tried some of the new EH stuff but at Messe......the octave wasn't perfectly in tune...

Andy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search