The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is anyone ever going to make a PCIe AES/EBU interface?
Old 11th September 2006
Is anyone ever going to make a PCIe AES/EBU interface?

Its now been well over 9 months since Apple made PCI extinct in their products and 7 months since Apogee released their Symphony system.

But amazingly there is still no multiple AES/EBU I/O card which is compatible with PCIe.

Why would anyone buying a new MacPro + Logic + high end converters even consider buying any other brand of converters than Apogee?

Does anyone have any news on this issue?
Old 11th September 2006
Here for the gear

I've scoured the arth and talked to just about every manufacturer...both LYNX and RME have said that they have no plans to release any PCI Express Interfaces. Apogee has just entered into the realm of DAW interfacing with the Ensemble (which has no AES) and unless you drop upwards of 8K on an AD16X and a DA16X with a Symphony Card I see no way to get multi-channel AES/EBU happening on the new Macs...
Old 11th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelpling View Post
I've scoured the arth and talked to just about every manufacturer...both LYNX and RME have said that they have no plans to release any PCI Express Interfaces. Apogee has just entered into the realm of DAW interfacing with the Ensemble (which has no AES) and unless you drop upwards of 8K on an AD16X and a DA16X with a Symphony Card I see no way to get multi-channel AES/EBU happening on the new Macs...
Thanks for your info from Lynx and RME on this.

I'm really surprised that no one is willing to take the initiative to offer at least some kind of competition.
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

I have the Lynx AES-16 card, and I also find it odd that they have no plans for a PCIe replacement what with the standard PCI bus going the way of the dinosaur over the next couple of years (already gone on Macs).

They must have somethin up their sleeves, or are depending on Firewire. Maybe Firewire has killed the PCI card market, so they feel there is no market for an AES/EBU interface in the future... who knows?

Strange...
Old 11th September 2006
500 series nutjob

i thought RME was going to but.
not sure what's up with Lynx but for all i think it is time these companies pony up and stop dragging their feet.
Old 12th September 2006
Gear Nut

Phil here from Lynx.

As a manufacturer, you have to be very careful what you say and how you say it, or it can be misinterpreted. So I'll try to be clear (sometimes a challenge for me.)

At this point we have no announcements to make concerning PCI-Express cards.

It's that simple. Now, please don't interpret this as saying we will never produce PCI-Express products, it just means that right now we have no announcements.

We are very aware of the need for (and current lack of) quality PCI-Express audio cards for high end audio production. I get calls everyday about this and if I came across the magic lantern, it would be my second wish. We are also aware of the potential, not only market-wise, but feature-wise that this format offers. It's actually quite exciting, but at this point we have no announcements to make.

That being said, if we were to produce an PCI Express card (although we have no announcements...) what would you like to see? Are you just Mac users or also PC users? What features, ins and outs, functions, etc. would make this a killer card for you? Please put your opinions here or email me directly. We love input - in fact the Aurora converters were designed with customer comments as one of the prime development tools.

So I guess this is a long way around the bus to say that at this time we have no announcements concerning PCI-Express, but that someday we might.

Thanks

Phil
Old 12th September 2006
Lives for gear

Hello Phil... Thanks for posting here.

I would love to see the PCIe version of the AES-16 card, but would also love to see an AES-32 card where I could hook up two Aurora-16's to a single card. I am not sure if the bandwidth is there to do that or not, but it is a wish list item nonetheless.

Dedicating 2 slots to 32 channels is a bit daunting, especially with the disappearing expansion slot movement in full swing.

I am not a Firewire fan, so that is not an option for me.
Old 12th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoon View Post
That being said, if we were to produce an PCI Express card (although we have no announcements...) what would you like to see? Are you just Mac users or also PC users? What features, ins and outs, functions, etc. would make this a killer card for you? Please put your opinions here or email me directly. We love input - in fact the Aurora converters were designed with customer comments as one of the prime development tools.
Hi Phil; thanks for your post. Its good to know that someone is 'maybe' working on something! And thats great that you're open to feedback in designing the product. So I'll start...

Firstly, regardless of how many more or less Mac users than PC users need PCIe compatable AES I/O, the fact that most PCs are still PCI compatible is reason enough that creating a Mac version is IMO more urgent.

Secondly, I can see very little that needs to be altered from the AES-16 design, but if it were significantly cheaper to produce an 8 in / 8 out version, then having this option AS WELL would be useful. And it would be useful to some to perhaps have a 8 in 24 out version.

I'm sure other things will come to mind.

Thanks again.

Old 12th September 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix View Post
Hello Phil... Thanks for posting here.

I would love to see the PCIe version of the AES-16 card, but would also love to see an AES-32 card where I could hook up two Aurora-16's to a single card. I am not sure if the bandwidth is there to do that or not, but it is a wish list item nonetheless.

Dedicating 2 slots to 32 channels is a bit daunting, especially with the disappearing expansion slot movement in full swing.

what he said.
also not a firewire fan.
Old 12th September 2006
500 series nutjob

oh and the industry has had over a year now, ( ? ) come on get this done!
lets face pcie aint going away, no mater how much you wish it would.
it aint hurtin apples feelings one bit that lynx, ( or any one else ) is going to show them and not make a card, they don't care.
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm new on this forum.
What are your objections to the FireWire interface ? Is there a better way to move audio in/out a laptop ?
I love my Lynx16 but it does't fit into a MacBook.
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

What I think is desperately needed is a multiple AES/multiple s/pdif interface that connects over ethernet.

The typical firewire to multiple audio boxes of today are frustrating toys, mostly. Unfortunately, a lot will be sold to the mass market based on price.

I just bought a Lynx AES16, because i'm tired of the short cable length limitations of s/pdif, USB, Firewire and unbalanced audio cables.

Multiple AES, for me, is the answer. It means I can put my AES or s/pdif boxes exactly where I want them - between different rooms. It means I can mix down with multiple digital boxes. It means I can buy high end converters and preamps as and when I need or can afford them.

Ethernet is the most overlooked way to connect audio devices to a computer. You can run ethernet very long distances with cheap, readily available cable.
Old 1st December 2006
Here for the gear

For me, I'd want a simple card like the L22, PCI-E with windows vista x64 support as well as Mac OSX.
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

I would love to see something combining AES and Hypermac/supermac.
Maybe a super/hypermac card with some form of aes dsub breakout option.
Just a thought.
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

How about a PT 96 I/O and an 888/24 in the legacy port?

Unless you're trying to be 100% Digi-free.
Old 29th December 2006
Here for the gear

I'm currently using the RME aes32 card in a server board and am pretty happy with it using Samplitude. I was kind of hoping they'd do a PCIe version as well. On the other hand, you can move all the disk IO to the PCIe, as well as the graphics, and you can buy some motherboards with a couple of open pci slots, and the data rate should be enough... 32 tracks, 192khz, 3 bytes per sample is still only 18MB/sec of a 132MB/sec bus. Some server motherboards have isolated pci busses for dual processors, so you can plug one card into each bus without much interference.

I like the RME low latency mixer that is built into the card, and would want that in any PCIe version.

It might be nice if there were some way of sending midi control codes back through the aes user data bits, and having a driver that extracts them... maybe let the performer have a control box to adjust their own headphone mix.

I've been using the RME ADI-8DS, recording into a Tascam 78HR, then loading all the tracks into Samplitude through a Tascam TDIF->AES converter box. I mix, monitoring on a DA30 Headphone output.

I like that Lynx added sample rate conversion. That might come in handy if you were using those Schoeps CMD 2 U mics that got announced recently since, from what I understand, they run only from their own crystal.
Old 29th December 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
What I think is desperately needed is a multiple AES/multiple s/pdif interface that connects over ethernet.
Gibson worked on some ethernet digital audio with their MAGIC program. They seemed to be duplicating some effort done at Cirrus also.

http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/techs/T9.html

The RME MADI stuff might work for you too. They have some aes to madi boxes, and then you can run a bunch of channels down a coax.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/premline/hdspmadi.htm
Old 29th December 2006
Gear Maniac

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Norwood View Post
I'm currently using the RME aes32 card in a server board and am pretty happy with it using Samplitude. I was kind of hoping they'd do a PCIe version as well.
Of course there will be... Don't ask me about the exact release date, but it will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelpling View Post
I've scoured the arth and talked to just about every manufacturer...both LYNX and RME have said that they have no plans to release any PCI Express Interfaces.
Not sure where this came from, but it's not correct... PCIe cards are in the works.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Old 31st December 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME Support View Post
Hello,

Of course there will be... Don't ask me about the exact release date, but it will come.

Not sure where this came from, but it's not correct... PCIe cards are in the works.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Good!
Still waiting...
happy newyear

soebx
Old 30th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Digigram has released some I believe.
Old 25th July 2007
Rea
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME Support View Post
Hello,

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
will it ork parallel to a symphony system? i.e, apoge stuff with symph and other gear through rme aes at the same time?
Old 25th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
will it ork parallel to a symphony system? i.e, apoge stuff with symph and other gear through rme aes at the same time?
I can't say for sure, but I'd have to say I doubt it.

Mind you, once Lynx and RME release these interfaces, if Apogee are smart they will bring out an adapter to allow third party AES converters to connect to Symphony, otherwise they will lose a lot of business to people that want to set up DAWs using various manufacturers' converters. In fact if they are really smart, they'll do it now to tempt all the people like me who have been holding on for 18 months or so already and are desperate to upgrade.
Old 25th July 2007
Rea
Lives for gear

i dont mind who makes itas long as i can incorporate different tools with digital i/o into my symphony system.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search