The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yes - America Video Dynamic Microphones
Old 4th July 2013
Gear Nut

Yes - America Video

A patriotic friend of mine posted this today. Yes / America - YouTube

Now two things are driving me crazy.

1. Why does Squire have a paper cup over his mic?
2. Anyone know what console they are using? (1971)

Old 4th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfensound View Post

Probably because they are not performing the song but lip-syncing to a recording? Sure seems that way to me, also that cup comes on and off so I think this film was edited from several takes.

Quote:
They record at Advision Studios, London which had a custom desk. You can find a history of the studio here:

Advision Studios London - A History.
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Paper cup.... because that was one of the run throughs to get the arrangement... from which several later edits were done. During the run-throughs, the promo video was made of the live playing.... and then later on, there was actually some vocal overdubbing done to it. During the runthrough, Chris didn't sing so hey..... the old paper cup on the mic joke.

That was at advision with their custom made console. I think those were just about the end days of studios custom-building their own boards.

Rick sure looks happy, considering two months later, he TRASHED the idea of doing "America". In a funny interview, the interviewer starts with a few glowing words about the America cover and Rick interrupts him loudly......"whoah...wait....no...I'm sorry....no...wait.... I have to tell you that America was the worst idea we ever came up with. The song has absolutely nothing to do with Yes and I was very much against us doing it....."

But geee.... he sure is smiling ear to ear on the video. I've always liked Bill's looks into the camera while doing that perfect precision playing. Of course in that video, Bill already knew he was leaving the band after the upcoming tour.

I remember watching the guys on that next tour, hoping they'd do "America". Never happened until about a million years later alas.

I also remember talking with Eddie at several of the shows during that tour (and the next). They were hauling around an mci 24 track and set it up next to the concert console to capture shows.... and it was ALWAYS broken... tracks out etc. Eddie would always make remarks about that. No doubt, a 600 pound MCI 24 track isn't quite as portable as a ProTools MacBook pro in later centuries.

They also had two little Revox two tracks at the console. Those were loaded with all the "wash" sound effects.... like the intro noises to "Close to the Edge" etc. In that respect, Eddie was not only operating concert sound, but also "playing" the revoxes.
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

best bass tone ever
Old 5th July 2013
Lives for gear

Yes are one of the best musicians I've ever heard. so tight and creative.
Old 5th July 2013
Lives for gear

I never could get over just how damned young they all looked in that video!

Great band - and a great song.
Old 5th July 2013
Lives for gear
Oh, what the heck - a little unguarded effusing:

Yes - the classic period - was the pinnacle of mankind's musical creation and the apex of the modern music ensemble. All before was leading up to that, and all since has been lesser.

The only way for music to move forward after that is for there to be another revolution akin to the invention of jazz, or what Elvis and a few of his peers ushered in.

There, my biases laid bare.
Old 5th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicus View Post

Yes - the classic period - was the pinnacle of mankind's musical creation and the apex of the modern music ensemble. All before was leading up to that, and all since has been lesser.
I would come close to agreeing. Massive emotional hills and valleys, great melodies, incredible musicianship, great arranging and song writing.
Old 5th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicus View Post

The only way for music to move forward after that is for there to be another revolution akin to the invention of jazz, or what Elvis and a few of his peers ushered in.
Much like Jon Anderson's lyrics that made no sense to me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search