The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Steve Ett, tape / track 'leakage' for huge bass?
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

Steve Ett, tape / track 'leakage' for huge bass?

Steve ett:

Quote:
I always put that----808 bass drum on track 2. I don't put anything on 1 or 3.----The bass drum leakage is tremendous.
Quote:
Ett programs the 808 bass drum knowing it will have to leak in order to get the desired rumble.
Quote:
This leakage means that the bass will----bleed into other deliberately emptied tracks, which gives the bass a heavier, grittier, less fixed sound.
Is this what I'm hearing on those 80's 808 rap tracks from Run Dmc and them?

What would these 'leakage' tracks soloed sound like? Any particular frequency range that would bleed into surrounding tracks? Would it be distorted? etc

Can this be emulated ITB starting with a clean dry 808 BD?

Thanks!

Old 28th June 2013
Clone or mult the track and add a low pass filter. Tape tracks and mixer channels are designed not to leak, so by exploiting these faults you would get a lot of noise and distortion - which can all be a good thing. But I'm guess he liked the rumble, which means it resulting an a deep low pass filter effect. But I'm sure there was a lot of noise, and that can be a good thing for drums.
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Clone or mult the track and add a low pass filter. Tape tracks and mixer channels are designed not to leak, so by exploiting these faults you would get a lot of noise and distortion - which can all be a good thing. But I'm guess he liked the rumble, which means it resulting an a deep low pass filter effect. But I'm sure there was a lot of noise, and that can be a good thing for drums.
Thanks,
Any idea on what type of distortion that would be?

Also, his 808 BDs seem to be more 'audible' than most other ones from that time (which seem almost a pure really low sine), could this also be the result of this leakage? Or would that just be tape saturation?
Old 28th June 2013
Engineers didn't put things on track one of a 2" because they were afraid of edge damage, not crosstalk. And cross talk could be an issue on an analog deck and mixer depending on what you had and how hot you cut it.
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Engineers didn't put things on track one of a 2" because they were afraid of edge damage, not crosstalk. And cross talk could be an issue on an analog deck and mixer depending on what you had and how hot you cut it.
Thanks.
He co-owned and worked at Chung King during that time (1986).
Ok, so track 1 empty was like standard? how about him keeping track 3 empty?
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Hope he wasn't using 4 track or it would be very restricting.
Old 29th June 2013
I would suggest some tape pipeline impulses in a convolution reverb - that should help get the noise as well. You could try some samples of tape hiss, or even just white noise from a synth. I read a theory somewhere that suggested that our ears use noise to hear bass frequencies, and that a little noise can enhance them.

It's constantly debated whether ITB fx can come close to analog, especially in the low end, so I won't add to that debate. You'll just have to use the best you've got. Convolution of actual samples seems to come close enough for many people.

For this I would recommend a trip outside the box, through some transformers and FETs or tubes, but use whatever you have for adding harmonics. There are plugins that get fairly close - you'll just have to try whatever you've got and judge for yourself.
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I would suggest some tape pipeline impulses in a convolution reverb - that should help get the noise as well. You could try some samples of tape hiss, or even just white noise from a synth. I read a theory somewhere that suggested that our ears use noise to hear bass frequencies, and that a little noise can enhance them.

It's constantly debated whether ITB fx can come close to analog, especially in the low end, so I won't add to that debate. You'll just have to use the best you've got. Convolution of actual samples seems to come close enough for many people.

For this I would recommend a trip outside the box, through some transformers and FETs or tubes, but use whatever you have for adding harmonics. There are plugins that get fairly close - you'll just have to try whatever you've got and judge for yourself.
Thanks for elaborating.

So far mixing the dry kick with a lo-passed then distorted duplicate sounds most convincing.

Will look into the noise theory!!
Old 29th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
Thanks.
He co-owned and worked at Chung King during that time (1986).
Ok, so track 1 empty was like standard? how about him keeping track 3 empty?
I don't know if it was standard but it certainly was done, but lot's of guys used all of the tracks, I think it depended more on the setup of your machine. Leaving track 3 open makes no sense unless something was up with the deck.
Interestingly my 2" 24 track supposedly came out of Chung King, was sold to a producer whose name I cant remember now but he did a single for Naughty By Nature on it and then I bought it from him in the late 90's. I have no problem with this deck using any track.
Old 10th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
my 2" 24 track supposedly came out of Chung King.
How cool, A LOT of hip hop classics were recorded on it!
Old 10th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
Thanks for elaborating.

So far mixing the dry kick with a lo-passed then distorted duplicate sounds most convincing.

Will look into the noise theory!!
Stillwell's Bad Buss Mojo might be handy for what you're looking to do. BBM will let you destroy drums but you can also take it just to the edge and add a little hair to it if you want. One of the coolest plugs I use. You can demo it for free.

Bad Buss Mojo | Stillwell Audio - It's About The Sound
Old 10th July 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by waughwax View Post
Tape tracks and mixer channels are designed not to leak
Seriously. You can get huge bass as the OP is asking without this tape crosstalk.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search