The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Console Recommendations? DAW Software
Old 27th June 2013
Here for the gear

Console Recommendations?

I'm looking to upgrade the main mixing console in a small studio setup and I was wondering if any of you pros out there could give me some tips.

Our needs are quite specific and unconventional to say the least, and as a precursor, I recognise many oddities and problems with our current setup, but please bear with me and I will willingly divulge on that if you're interested haha:

- My boss is primarily a composer that still uses a lot of outboard sounds (Akai S6000, Roland XV5080, etc.). All these synths are are hooked up permanently to various inputs of a Tascam DM4800.
- We never track more than one or two mics at a time, using standalone pres into an HEDD192.
- We have 16 outputs from the DAW (Lynx Aurora 16) to more inputs via analog expansion cards on the Tascam.
- We seldom print our MIDI tracks before mix down. All DAW outputs and outboard gear triggered by MIDI tracks are summed on the Tascam and recorded back into the DAW.
- The only outboard gear we use at the mixing stage is a single 2-channel Bricasti.
- Our main DAW is Digital Performer 7 (upgrading to 8 soon), and Pro Tools every so often.

Recently the Tascam has been acting up, and being the new young kid around who seems the most tech savvy, they've asked me to look for upgrading. I'm not really professionally trained, but I think this is a good opportunity to learn more about proper studio setup, so I want to do it right and "correct" some of the mistakes in our setup while upgrading.

Our workflow still requires that all the outboard synths continue to be permanently attached for quick access and to be used during mix down, regardless of the delay this introduces. We also need to be able to save and quickly recall mixes, which means motorised faders. I would also like to try to push us to venture into analog summing because of the high quality gear we do already have (and for my own interest/learning)

I have been looking at the SSL Matrix as a possible solution. The added DAW control seems easy enough to pick up and add to our workflow if implemented correctly. However, I am not sure if it can accommodate the outboard synths the way we want.

Any other good solutions/suggestions for a setup using what we have? I've been told to disregard budget and go for whatever is best for now haha.

Sorry if this was a little long winded, any help is greatly appreciated!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search