The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Orion vs Apogee Symphony I/O
Old 19th June 2013
Lives for gear

Antelope Orion vs Apogee Symphony I/O

There's a related thread on Orion vs Apogee, where it seemed like the DA 16x gave the Orion all it could handle. So, a conclusion would be the Symphony was clearly better. But, I would like to hear from the Pros your findings and opinion of the two converters, ignoring the price point or channel count.

Thanks
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

I would also like to hear opinions from peeps that have used both orion and symphony? That other thread has 1,920 posts or so!!!
Old 26th August 2013
Here for the gear

I am curious as well. I haven't personally dealt with the Orion, but I am told they are more like Lynx Auroras in terms of neutrality (what you put in is what you get).
Old 26th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayarob View Post
I am curious as well. I haven't personally dealt with the Orion, but I am told they are more like Lynx Auroras in terms of neutrality (what you put in is what you get).
I find the Orion to be very open. It doesn't get in the way at all, which I think is a good thing.
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I find the Orion to be very open. It doesn't get in the way at all, which I think is a good thing.
Just got the orion yesterday and find it very clear in the mids, bottom end is not as punchy as I like, ab d with my quartet night and day....
Old 7th September 2013
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtycircuit View Post
Just got the orion yesterday and find it very clear in the mids, bottom end is not as punchy as I like, ab d with my quartet night and day....
What was night and day?

Between the two I'd definitely give the edge to the Symphony.
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayarob View Post
The lynx doesnt cloak the music whereas the orion does. Id take am aurora over the orion anyday but its twice the price in regards of channelcount
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
The lynx doesnt cloak the music whereas the orion does. Id take am aurora over the orion anyday but its twice the price in regards of channelcount
Hey that's interesting I just got the orion and I must say it does sound like a Lynx but I feel it is clearer in the mids, I make dance music and am thinking of sending it back and getting a symphony as I just bought a midas 320 desk and a symphony would fit my set up better, have you heard the symphony compared to the orion or the lynx?
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
What was night and day?

The clarity of the orion is way better than the symphony was like upgrading from my MoTu to an rme...

I am thinking of sending the orion back and getting a 8 by8 symphony, have you also a b'd the symphony and orion/aurora?
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
What was night and day?

Sorry meant the clarity was way better than my quartet not symphony....
Old 8th September 2013
mrc
Lives for gear
i m thinking of selling my symphony and get the orion. more ch, less space, and no fan noise. since i have no way to compare them, i m also curious about the differencies
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
i m thinking of selling my symphony and get the orion. more ch, less space, and no fan noise. since i have no way to compare them, i m also curious about the differencies
I have the orion, it's been here day 2 so very new to it and I would say if you are doing rock based music it's amazing, for electronic music i feel the bass extension is lacking, but I have had it for 2 days and I may be suffering from apogee quartet coloring fatigue, I have 15 days to decide so will keep ab ing. Also
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the orion, it's been here day 2 so very new to it and I would say if you are doing rock based music it's amazing, for electronic music i feel the bass extension is lacking, but I have had it for 2 days and I may be suffering from apogee quartet coloring fatigue, I have 15 days to decide so will keep ab ing. Also
Also, you have to consider that the ins and outs are amazing value...
Old 8th September 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
How do you feel the music is cloaked? I've been working on an Orion for a few months now and I don't feel cloaked music at all. I think it sounds really open and clear.
Old 8th September 2013
Gear Nut

OK........was not this to compare the orion to the apogee SYMPHONY????????
the SYMPHONY IS NOT A QUARTET!!! The orion is not a presonus, etc etc.
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Souled Out View Post
OK........was not this to compare the orion to the apogee SYMPHONY????????
the SYMPHONY IS NOT A QUARTET!!! The orion is not a presonus, etc etc.
Dude, I don't have a couple myteks or symphony's lying around, do you? I have an orion and a quartet, have used an aurora for years and I chimed in because not many people actually have Orion's yet, so any real world comparison is useful.. <DELETED BY MODERATOR>, I would take your point if the orion had been around for a long time...
Old 8th September 2013
Gear Nut

no I dont have a couple of symphonys, only one...lol.
It is cool to "chime in", I just would like someone experienced with each to "chime in", altho it is rare for people to know the exact 2 things desired to be in an A/B test......not anal here either, but sometimes I am an idiot.
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

I can be the biggest idiot too thats cool,just mixing my track down and have switched back from the orion to the quartet, the bottom end feels thin with no punch with the 32, this may be going back for a symphony, or maybe it's the apogee gloss people keep talking about. Souledout do you feel the symphony has a punchy detailed bottom end?
Old 8th September 2013
The symphony sounds better than the Orion. Little more open or wide, a little warmer than the Orion in a good way and perhaps a little more punch.

The comment about the Orion to cloud the mids is nonsense though. As a matter of fact: I think the Orion is a little better than the Aurora's. I own an Orion and track and mix on aurora's a lot. ( that is about 30 to 50 days a year, so I know them very well )

About this thread though; I think it's more than fair to take money into account. The symphony is much more expensive in the same configuration as the Orion. Yet the Orion really 'puts up a good fight'. I dare to say that there is nothing like it quality wise in it's pricerange and way above it....
Old 8th September 2013
Add to my previous post: The symphony, Aurora and Orion are all very good converters. So we are really talking small differences here.

Mic's, pre's, placement and acoustics all make much larger differences. Any good engineer will achieve excellent results with all 3 converters...
Old 8th September 2013
Gear Nut

I really love the symphony, I got the 8 mic pres also, and I think they are just GREAT, so as a unit I am very satisfied......the fan does not bother me, it was an issue once but I just sat it out for a minute and it cut back to quiet......I had a Nagra VI before and it seems to be very close.....have not compared anything else.
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT5 View Post
The symphony sounds better than the Orion. Little more open or wide, a little warmer than the Orion in a good way and perhaps a little more punch.

The comment about the Orion to cloud the mids is nonsense though. As a matter of fact: I think the Orion is a little better than the Aurora's. I own an Orion and track and mix on aurora's a lot. ( that is about 30 to 50 days a year, so I know them very well )

About this thread though; I think it's more than fair to take money into account. The symphony is much more expensive in the same configuration as the Orion. Yet the Orion really 'puts up a good fight'. I dare to say that there is nothing like it quality wise in it's pricerange and way above it....
Cat 5 souled out thanks for the feedback, I just switched back to the Orion and re did the levels it is a truly err true sounding converter, I think having had a quartet and previously a yamaha n12 I am coming from a world of colored bottom end. I have 15 days to think about it, gonna hot foot down to guitar center and listen to a symphony, gonna have to look for a second hand one though I need 16 outs at least to sum for my new midas 320 acquisition gets here on Wednesday 700 bucks bargain. The clarity in the mids an highs are amazing from the Orion...
Old 9th September 2013
Gear Head

I would also like to hear opinions. I am in the process of updating my current converter and the last two on the run are the Orion and the Symphony. I need 16 ins for tracking, that increase the price of the Symphony. So far, after reading many comments and reviews about the Symphony it seems like the coloring of the Apogee is very appealing for many people.
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaiata View Post
I would also like to hear opinions. I am in the process of updating my current converter and the last two on the run are the Orion and the Symphony. I need 16 ins for tracking, that increase the price of the Symphony. So far, after reading many comments and reviews about the Symphony it seems like the coloring of the Apogee is very appealing for many people.
What sort of music are you doing? If it is rock or non electronic the orion all the way, value for money for ins and outs, I just bought the orion but am thinking of swapping it for a symphony as I make bass heavy type music most of the time, that said I have been mixing with the orion all afternoon and just re adjusted the levels and its pro level no doubt about that man, i just want a detailed punchy bottom end, honestly if I had the chance to ab the units which I did not, that's the way to go, it's your ears that tell you whats good, even if it is a sound blaster or the new fisher price with madi connection...lol
Old 9th September 2013
There's a good review and comparison here: Review: Antelope Orion 32, A Mixer’s Perspective : SonicScoop – Creative, Technical & Business Connections For NYC’s Music & Sound Community

The Orion is pretty amazing, imo. Transparent, high channel count, very low latency.
Old 10th September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
What sort of music are you doing? If it is rock or non electronic the orion all the way, value for money for ins and outs, I just bought the orion but am thinking of swapping it for a symphony as I make bass heavy type music most of the time, that said I have been mixing with the orion all afternoon and just re adjusted the levels and its pro level no doubt about that man, i just want a detailed punchy bottom end, honestly if I had the chance to ab the units which I did not, that's the way to go, it's your ears that tell you whats good, even if it is a sound blaster or the new fisher price with madi connection...lol
Thank you.
Most definitely the Orion is good value.
Usually I am recording a mix of "World Music"-Caribbean / Rock / Folk flavors. Rarely any thing "Electronic" and if I use samplers or an electronic instrument is usually to simulate or emulate an acoustic instrument I do not have access to. And yes, some of my music is bass heavy but not created sub-bass. Low percussion and sometimes low wind instruments.

At the moment I am going only to track. In the future, perhaps mixing collaborations if possible. Mastering will be send to an appropriate facility.

I also use the resources in my project studio to create demos of my songwriting, and that can be any thing requested. But those are just demos.

I am attending the AES October event in NY, I do not know if I will be able to play a mix over those two interfaces there. I doubt it, If possible it will to be on earphones due to the noise at the exhibit. other choice is to try to visit at store that sell the Symphony and the Orion.
Old 10th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaiata View Post
Thank you.
Most definitely the Orion is good value.
Usually I am recording a mix of "World Music"-Caribbean / Rock / Folk flavors. Rarely any thing "Electronic" and if I use samplers or an electronic instrument is usually to simulate or emulate an acoustic instrument I do not have access to. And yes, some of my music is bass heavy but not created sub-bass. Low percussion and sometimes low wind instruments.

At the moment I am going only to track. In the future, perhaps mixing collaborations if possible. Mastering will be send to an appropriate facility.

I also use the resources in my project studio to create demos of my songwriting, and that can be any thing requested. But those are just demos.

I am attending the AES October event in NY, I do not know if I will be able to play a mix over those two interfaces there. I doubt it, If possible it will to be on earphones due to the noise at the exhibit. other choice is to try to visit at store that sell the Symphony and the Orion.
Honestly dude for the music you are doing the orion is perfect and yes go to a store and ab them, I just need more detail in the bottom for dance music as I need to concentrate on the kick and bass, but to be honest since the weekend I have re done levels and Eq'd everything and the orion sounds great.
Old 3rd October 2013
Here for the gear

orion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT5 View Post
Add to my previous post: The symphony, Aurora and Orion are all very good converters. So we are really talking small differences here.

Mic's, pre's, placement and acoustics all make much larger differences. Any good engineer will achieve excellent results with all 3 converters...

Hi CATS, i m considering getting my first converter, and i m going hard for the orion...

But ther's a lot of talking about the usb connection issue about it so it's also scaring me.Is there a real problem with the latency?...

do you have any problem about it , or are you simply using the madi side of it??? or should i consider another piece of converter in the same price range?

best regards

Last edited by Wheelon; 3rd October 2013 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: mistaket o n a word
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
There's a related thread on Orion vs Apogee, where it seemed like the DA 16x gave the Orion all it could handle. So, a conclusion would be the Symphony was clearly better. But, I would like to hear from the Pros your findings and opinion of the two converters, ignoring the price point or channel count.

Thanks
smooovemode, cool profile name, it's almost like SmoothVibe. heh
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVibe View Post
smooovemode, cool profile name, it's almost like SmoothVibe. heh
Great minds think alike :-)
📝 Reply