The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My first pair of studio monitors... Bought a pair, should I return? Studio Monitors
Old 18th June 2013
Here for the gear

My first pair of studio monitors... Bought a pair, should I return?

I just bought a pair BX5 D2's after listening to them in store and thinking they sounded great, as my first pair of speakers... Have a XLR connector for both going to a headphone jack on my computer. After listening to them for awhile, it's sounding kind of tiring... I spent $245 on the two of them. Would it be worth returning them for a pair of Adam F5's, or will I not notice the $200 difference? I listen to pretty much everything under the sun music wise, and I'm going to be recording several instruments & producing on Ableton
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

If im reading what i think im reading.."stock computer audio card/headphones out to XLR speakers in"..then no speakers will sound great with that set up.
You probably liked em at the store because they had a good line out feeding them.Do you have an interface?
Or am i mis-understanding.
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear
Return. Hyped highs and honky mids plus non-existent lows...
Get some equator D5s.
Old 18th June 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
If im reading what i think im reading.."stock computer audio card/headphones out to XLR speakers in"..then no speakers will sound great with that set up.
You probably liked em at the store because they had a good line out feeding them.Do you have an interface?
Yes, I need to get a DAC I know. One thing at a time for me. No, the person at the store was playing Rush for me over the speakers, now that I've heard my music on it sounds like the bottom is rounded out and the highs are a tad shrill. We were doing the same line in at the store. I'm just asking if this is worth my money to upgrade to the Adam F5's, or if I'm not going to notice a difference in your opinion. I play several instruments, listen to alot of music and am planning on trying to record stuff in the near future as well.
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
+1
Old 18th June 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehauser View Post
+1
he was playing Rush off of youtube on his phone lol
Old 18th June 2013
It might be worthwhile to pickup an interface/sound card with proper monitor outs.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 18th June 2013
Watch the film "I Love You, Man," and the scene where Paul Rudd tried to show his fiance how awesome Rush is on his laptop.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Maniac

I would suggest you return, and get a pair of HS50's with a sub. My mixes always translate well, despite my less than stellar room treatment. Check on eBay for bundled packages.
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willa View Post
I'm just asking if this is worth my money to upgrade.
No,not with your set up.Get an interface with proper lines out.That is your next upgrade.
Old 18th June 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
No,not with your set up.Get an interface with proper lines out.That is your next upgrade.
I have no use for the interface without the monitors first! I'll be able to buy the interface several weeks down the road, I was going to buy a Audioengine DAC...
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have no use for the interface without the monitors first! I'll be able to buy the interface several weeks down the road, I was going to buy a Audioengine DAC...
That's cool but.
You also have no use for better monitors till you get an interface.
Old 18th June 2013
Right now, you have monitor speakers and no interface. Your plan is to get different speakers and still have no interface. You get no added value with new monitors while you still have no interface. Get consistent levels of performance in your system!

You are pricing out new wheels on a car with no engine.
Old 18th June 2013
Music 1
Quote:
Buy yourself a Lexicon Alpha interface used on ebay for $40, return the BX5's and get yourself a small pair of KRK, Equator, or Yamaha speakers. Good luck
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

Reading between the lines a bit it seems that only gravyface appears to know the monitors in question.
Taking his advice at face value since I too am not familiar with the speakers in question I'd say you'd be best served by returning them as long as you still can for something better and make do without a proper interface until you can afford one.

It would be pointless if you buy an interface soon, find out the speakers are really as bad as gravyface suggests and not being able to return them anymore.

Decent interfaces are cheaper than decent speakers so getting them wrong ones will cost you more.
Old 18th June 2013

I wouldn't even bother getting into endless expensive gear accumulation, these days.

Everyone listens on crappy systems now - so just mix on your iPhone speaker.

Old 21st June 2013
Here for the gear

Going to head back for the F5's this weekend... Either that or a Prodipe Pro!
Old 21st June 2013
Gear Maniac

Get yourself the interface first, the a pair of low quality monitors next. Then eventually a second set of better monitors. If you can make your mixes sound good to amazing on a pair of crappy monitors your mixes will sound even better on higher quality speakers. Look for some bookshelf radio shack or something like that. You will thank me in a few years.
Old 21st June 2013
Sky
Lives for gear

Please let us know how the F5s work for you. I'm open minded but fall into the better interface camp. I spent a lot of time working between the mini-plug for non-critical stuff and a midrange interface, the latter being the clear winner. Then I consolidated onto a pro-level interface and noted a huge improvement. Every existing component sounds different and much, much better - same guitar pickups and mics on the input, same power amp and monitors on the output. Night and day difference. It's not an issue of what sounds better (and it does), but the fact that I can hear and make mix decisions much more confidently.

With a proper line level interface, you may or may not like the BX5s, but In either case they will sound different to you. Plus you'll more easily be able to tell what you like or don't like about them, or any other monitor you may audition.

Sky
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

Unless you're doing all EDM with onboard sounds, you'll need a decent interface. It is at least possible (though difficult) to get a decent enough mix using phones and other systems to check on... but the final audio is what counts, and if the audio is running through an onboard card that's killing it, game over.

I'd have to agree with what some others have said above... interface first... then monitors.

Even then, I'd put the extra money into room treatment and/or some decent phones before I'd put all my eggs in the monitor upgrade in an untreated room basket.
Old 21st June 2013
Quote:
Yes, I need to get a DAC I know. One thing at a time for me. No, the person at the store was playing Rush for me over the speakers, now that I've heard my music on it sounds like the bottom is rounded out and the highs are a tad shrill. We were doing the same line in at the store. I'm just asking if this is worth my money to upgrade to the Adam F5's, or if I'm not going to notice a difference in your opinion. I play several instruments, listen to alot of music and am planning on trying to record stuff in the near future as well.
It's unclear at the moment if it's the speakers that are shrill, or that your music is like that! Listen to something you know well - something commercial. Listen to that on your new speakers. If it sounds bad/hyped/weird, it could well be the speakers. If it's not, it could be your music!

I can't comment on the actual speakers in question, I've never used them.
Old 21st June 2013
Here for the gear

Well, like I said I'm doing this one step at a time... The Adam's are going to be my next biggest investment (imo) other than a decent microphone and an interface, so I'd rather buy them while I still have a lump sum of disposable money handy and can afford it because they're more expensive... If that makes sense to you guys? I'm aware that the DAC will make it sound better but I'd rather buy the monitors first while I still can.

I'm going to be moving as well so I'm not going to get foam and go crazy on the corners of my room quite yet... One thing I didn't think about (I'm new to the whole audiophile-level studio thing but been w/ music for awhile) is that I might need a high-pass filter for the speakers for down the road when I use them with a sub for bass response, and I'm kind of regretting the rear porting too

And I have listened to well-mixed .flac files through them, it isn't just my music that is coming off as shrill. I don't really know how to explain it, but the the trebley droning notes of any sort really stand out very far front in the mix if that makes sense? I do like the sterility of these monitors I bought over the KRK's, but they aren't quite... as surgical, I guess, as I was hoping? And again, I realize the DAC might be integral here and I might be being a little presumptuous but I was left wanting a little bit more... Standby would be nice too, they got hot enough to cook eggs off of
Old 21st June 2013
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aint Nobody View Post
Even then, I'd put the extra money into room treatment and/or some decent phones before I'd put all my eggs in the monitor upgrade in an untreated room basket.
+1. In an untreated room, mixing-quality phones or very near-field monitors running at low SPL can help, anything to take the room out of the equation. I've had decent results in untreated rooms by knowing and working with the room's shortcomings, within reason of course.

Willa, would your dealer possibly let you bring a second pair home to audition side-by-side? This may offer clues about whether the shrillness is coming from the BX5s, your mixes, or your environment.

Sky
Old 22nd June 2013
If you're just starting out i believe you can easily buy decent monitors, DAC, and room treatment with your current budget.

Yamaha HS5's, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 + DIY room treatment.

In a few years when you feel the need to upgrade you will be able to sell your old gear easily anyway :-)

But the good thing about the Adams is that they sound nice and detailed, definately a good choice of monitors :-)
Old 22nd June 2013
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Going to head back for the F5's this weekend... Either that or a Prodipe Pro!
F5's are allot more detailed than the Prodipe Pro, they also have much more depth and far better build quality and amps.
Old 23rd June 2013
Here for the gear

Bought the F5's... LOVE THEM! Exactly what I was wanting and all I was hoping for sound quality wise, I can't wait to match it with a better interface and the Adam SubF...

I was looking them over though and I noticed that the dust cap on one of them has a little bit of extra adhesive around the edge of it so I took a flashlight and looked at it a little closer, there is some kind of light brownish blackish crud on the top of the dust cap and on the edge of the speaker cone... I can't see it without a lightsource since the carbon is so reflective, and it's probably only a quarter sized amount in total but it's still there, along with a small straight line in the carbon going about an eighth of an inch in from the edge of the cone... Should I be worried about it? Or is it just normal w/ carbon cones for their to be a little inconsistencies and I'm being OCD?

There is also a small piece of insulation or something caught just underneath the baffle on the tweeter of one of them inbetween the cab and the baffle, and the edges of the baffling are jagged and not straight or flush with the actual cabinet, and every single screwhead surface is marred/scratched... Sound quality is more than impressive with these guys, I just wish the fit & finish was there too!

Edit: Returned the speakers for a different pair, am really liking them, and the second pair I got are perfect as far as fit and finish is concerned so I think I might've just got a lemon...
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

This thread is just utterly ridiculous. How can anyone make any sort of judgement,at all, on a monitors sound in a untreated room? It is truly just pissin in the wind, a total waste of time no matter how you try and justify it.
Old 23rd June 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodittydada View Post
This thread is just utterly ridiculous. How can anyone make any sort of judgement,at all, on a monitors sound in a untreated room? It is truly just pissin in the wind, a total waste of time no matter how you try and justify it.
Not when the difference in an untreated room between the two is night and day difference... I have moved 8 times in the past year and Im moving again in the next month, I'm sorry I don't have egg cartons glued to my wall so I can judge it by every nuance yet. The high pass filter alone is enough in my mind (in hindsight!) to warrant the upgrade so I don't have to spend more down the road... Everybody was where I'm at at one point, give me a break, just asking for advice!
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

I don't know of I can add much but - 1. Get one of Ross martins gs dacs. Get a pair of sonodyns. And room treatment - go diy as its all just materials you find very easily around the place.
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear Guru

2nd mention of Ross Martin today that i have read ... hmmm the price is very nice ...

I say, try as many different monitors "In Your Space" as you can ... why not ... it is the only true way to know ...

and remember, "You" know it is not what you want even while listening through your Mini Headphone Jack off computer using Flac Files ... if a laptop, can you test with your computer at the Store ? if not disregard ...

just a couple thoughts ...

cheers

john
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search