The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Rise Against- go get this album.. Condenser Microphones
Old 9th August 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlivermore View Post
Bass was a large combo of stuff. We used a Fender P to a Radial JD7 splitter. The DI was the Great River. We also used a Sans Amp pedal. We used three bass amps, an Ampeg B15 with a Tube Screamer in front, a Mesa Boogie Big Block 750 on the overdrive channel (highly overdriven!), and an Ampeg SVT 4. All of these had different levels of distortion that were combined differently per song to have more or less "knarl". The SVT 4 was going through a custom made bass cab with dual 15's. The Mesa was going thru a new Mesa bass cab. Pres were the Chandler LTD 1, Chandler Channel, and the Great River. I think we used the Manley Elop and the Fatso for compression. Not much was needed, because most of these sources were distorted. I think we had an Audio Technica atm25 on the B15, an Re20 on the Mesa, and a Beyer TGX50 on the SVT 4.

This seems like overkill, but we really were triing to get a unique, cool, growly sound for Joe. I think it turned out quite well

Jason Livermore
Wow! Did you print those all to seperate tracks?
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Bass was a large combo of stuff. We used a Fender P to a Radial JD7 splitter. The DI was the Great River. We also used a Sans Amp pedal. We used three bass amps, an Ampeg B15 with a Tube Screamer in front, a Mesa Boogie Big Block 750 on the overdrive channel (highly overdriven!), and an Ampeg SVT 4. All of these had different levels of distortion that were combined differently per song to have more or less "knarl". The SVT 4 was going through a custom made bass cab with dual 15's. The Mesa was going thru a new Mesa bass cab. Pres were the Chandler LTD 1, Chandler Channel, and the Great River. I think we used the Manley Elop and the Fatso for compression. Not much was needed, because most of these sources were distorted. I think we had an Audio Technica atm25 on the B15, an Re20 on the Mesa, and a Beyer TGX50 on the SVT 4.

This seems like overkill, but we really were triing to get a unique, cool, growly sound for Joe. I think it turned out quite well

Jason Livermore
Hi Jason,

Over decade ago but do you remember where the sansamp pedal was in in the chain?

Was it recorded to its own track or was it before/after the great river di?

Thanks!
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Addict

The Sans Amp would have been on its own channel.

JL
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
The Sans Amp would have been on its own channel.

JL
Thanks Jason! So where all five tracks of bass used in the mix or was that done to have all grounds covered come mix time?
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Addict

All 5 were used, but mostly leaning on the sans. Changing blends sometimes to get more distortion.

JL
Old 26th January 2017
Lives for gear
I'll have to try blending a couple distorted amps along with the sansamp and great river for this type of music. I'm used to using the sansamp as the distorted track but I can see the benefit of having different degrees of distortion coming from the amps. Thanks again!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search