The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic to Pair w/ A-Designs EM-Gold
Old 23rd May 2013
Here for the gear

Mic to Pair w/ A-Designs EM-Gold

Hey everybody!,
I just ordered an A-Designs EM-Gold microphone preamp and this is my first real microphone pre. I have a focusrite interface and a couple mics I used to make my last album but I need some upgrades as I am starting to record my second now. The other microphones I have are AKG Preception 220, ADK Hamburg MK8, Shure 58, and some real strange Naiant microphones. So clearly this preamp is a serious upgrade and I'm trying to get a serious microphone to pair with it considering I'm on a super tight budget. This way I have at least one amazing channel to track things separately.

The A-Designs 500 series clearly are all geared to sound slightly different so that you can match it with a microphone to help balance out whatever flavor that mic has. The reason I got the EM-GOLD is because I play the bass and I figured It would be great for micing my bass cabinet as well as being a great bass DI and it's already miles past not having a mic preamp at all that it would already drastically improve going straight into my interface with all the other instruments.

But yeah.. I am looking for a great vocal mic/acoustic guitar mic for the most as a primary use but need to be able to mic an electric guitar or bass cabinet as well. Maybe I'l use it for percussion but thats a secondary concern for me. My band mixes a lot of genre's but my vocalist is known for having a real dylan sort of tone to his voice, so yes he is a male vocalist.

The microphone I was looking at and almost bought before I realized I should probably do more research before I spend that much money was the Neumann TLM 102. I'm not willing to spend more than that so don't recommend me any more expensive alternatives. The two main questions are will it pair well with the A-Designs EM-Gold and will it suite my the needs of my band? The TLM 102 is supposedly dark so is that bad to pair with the EM-Gold which is the more bass heavy of the EM series? What other microphones should I be looking at?

Sorry I unsuccessfully tried to make that as short as possible.
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Don't ever ask for purchase suggestions on here without a dollar-figure budget.

"Tight budget" is all relative. A $300 tight budget is a big difference from a $1300 tight budget, when a no-budget mic might be $4000.

A used AKG 414 is a good start for vocals and acoustic guitar.
Old 23rd May 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Don't ever ask for purchase suggestions on here without a dollar-figure budget.

"Tight budget" is all relative. A $300 tight budget is a big difference from a $1300 tight budget, when a no-budget mic might be $4000.

A used AKG 414 is a good start for vocals and acoustic guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseP View Post
The microphone I was looking at and almost bought before I realized I should probably do more research before I spend that much money was the Neumann TLM 102. I'm not willing to spend more than that so don't recommend me any more expensive alternatives.
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

You made me look up what a TLM-102 costs

Used AKG 414. Great all-around microphone that you will keep forever.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear