The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slowest top 40 Ever??? Modular Synthesizers
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear maniac

Slowest top 40 Ever???

Hey all, just had a session and the client and I got to discussing tempo and wondered what the slowest top 40 tune ever recorded was? Figured here was as good as any place to ask, and just so I fit the gearslutz profile our acoustic chain was using a coles 4038, and aguilar DI into Wunder Audio pres.

Later!
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattasbob View Post
Hey all, just had a session and the client and I got to discussing tempo and wondered what the slowest top 40 tune ever recorded was? Figured here was as good as any place to ask, and just so I fit the gearslutz profile our acoustic chain was using a coles 4038, and aguilar DI into Wunder Audio pres.

Later!
Oldies but.....

Atlantis by Donovan?
Nadia's theme (by ?)
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

How about Patsy Cline's version of "Sweet Dreams of You"?

Maybe "Sweet Jane" from the Trinity Sessions?
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Guru

funny - looking at the title of the thread I thought the question was going to be what was the slowest AVERAGE top 40?

like, "in 1989 the average tempo of top 40 songs was 96.5 BPM"

it would be great to see a graph of average top 40 tempos by year- would it spike up and down? gradually rise and fall? decline steadily over the years?

"Slow is the new loud"- Julian Cope
Old 2nd September 2006
I don't think it's probably the slowest ever -- but Santo & Johnny's classic "Sleepwalk" is waaaay languid...
Old 3rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe the Beatles' "Long and Winding Road"? it's pretty slow. maybe it's the slowest #1...
Old 3rd September 2006
Lives for gear

How about that damn Chariots of Fire theme song (Jon and Vangellis ?? I can't remember) ....eegads....even the freakin video was in slow motion heh
Old 3rd September 2006
Gear Guru

I doubt that it was the slowest, but one of the slower ones was probably "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" by the Rightgeous Brothers. One of the longest too. "American Pie" was longer though, I think.
Old 3rd September 2006
Gear Guru

"Nights In White Satin" was #2 in the US charts in 1967. That was pretty dang slow. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was faster.
Old 3rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Albatross - Fleetwood Mac?
Old 3rd September 2006
Gear Guru

I'm Not In Love (10cc) ?
Old 3rd September 2006
Gear Addict
Ray Charles has some real slow stuff. Some from his country album come to mind. "I cant stop lovin you" but there's others I'm sure.
Old 3rd September 2006
Gear Guru

Low Spark of High Heel Boys.
Old 3rd September 2006
Gear maniac

"The first time, ever I saw your face" (Ewen McColl/Roberta Flack)?

But actually arent many of the 'slow songs' that were played in discos so that people could smooch, contenders? It was a genre in its own right. Barry Whitesville

(I dont know which makes me sound older - discos, or smooch...?)
Old 4th September 2006
Moderator emeritus

The Roberta Flack song is certainly a contender, but I seem to remember "I Only Have Eyes For You" as even slower.
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

Miles Davis' "My Funny Valentine" from the My Funny Valentine + Four and More set - especially the intro!
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

Old 4th September 2006
Gear Guru

"First Time Ever I Saw Your Face". That's one for sure!

As much as I love Miles Davis, there isn't one Miles aong that was in the top 40, sorry to say.

I almost mentioned "I Only Have Eyes For You, " - The Flamingos. But I think The Roberta Flack tunes is slower than that.
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

"Send in the Clowns" Judy Collins, 1977....

sssllllloooooowwwwww
Old 4th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy No View Post
"The first time, ever I saw your face" (Ewen McColl/Roberta Flack)?
Good one, I always want to put the heart recusitation paddles on it when I hear it.. Its so slow that it makes me nervous. She actually sounds like she is going to sssssssssssssssssstop at one ppppppppppppppppppoint.

"The first timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Roberta? (knock on dressing room door) they are waiting!

"EVER I saw your face............."

How about Old Blue Eye's? I bet he had some slow ones...
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

Out of curiosity I did some rough estimates:

I don't think the Low Spark of High-Heeled boys counts because while it has a half-time feeling in parts, the main tempo is really 100bpm.

You've Lost that loving feeling - 92
Bridge over troubled waters - 84
Nadia's Theme - 80
Albatross - 70
Long & Winding Road - 69
Chariots of Fire - 67
I'm not in love - 67
Atlantis - 66
Sleepwalk - 63
First time ever I saw yr face - 61
I only have eyes for you - 60 (or 6/8 @ 88bpm?)
Send in the Clowns - 55 at tops though the rubato feel makes it seem much slower overall
Nights in White Satin - 52 (or 78bpm in 6/8 time?)

I can't think of anything that feels slower than those last two although I thought "The First time ever I saw your face" would place lower because the phrasing makes it feel so slow.
Old 4th September 2006
Gear Guru

Excellent. Thanks for the reference. Damn. "You've lost That Loving Feeling" is practically fast in comparison. At least I got "Nights In White Satin."
Old 4th September 2006

How 'bout "When I need you" by Rod Stewart... Seem to remember thats a very slow shuffle
Old 4th September 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
Send in the Clowns - 55 at tops though the rubato feel makes it seem much slower overall
Nights in White Satin - 52 (or 78bpm in 6/8 time?)

I can't think of anything that feels slower than those last two although I thought "The First time ever I saw your face" would place lower because the phrasing makes it feel so slow.
I guess speed doesn't matter much. Nights is one of my all time favorite songs.
Old 4th September 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
How 'bout "When I need you" by Rod Stewart... Seem to remember thats a very slow shuffle
Yes, except that it's Rod Stewart, which immediately eliminates it from the category of music.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

How do you calculate the bpm of a 6/8 song? I'm not sure about those numbers I posted. I was using the tap tempo on my sequencer but something seems fishy.
Old 4th September 2006
Gear Guru

I would do it the old fashioned way. Get a metronome and set it to the tempo of the song. It's not scientific. It's approximate and using your ears. Probably more accurate than using tap tempo. In those ays, mostly, time was approximate anyway.

I suppose you could drag the file into your DAW and use some beat detective thing . . .
Old 4th September 2006
Gear addict

Hi Initials BB,

Shure you will like this cover of Serge Gainsbourg "les amours perdus" by Elysian Fields
It's not Top 40 but it's 48 Bpm....
Jennifer Charles has the sexiest voice i know you should listen to "Lovage" if you don't know already.

Cheers

http://www.studio-sirenes.com/Server...ursPerdues.mp3
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
How do you calculate the bpm of a 6/8 song? I'm not sure about those numbers I posted. I was using the tap tempo on my sequencer but something seems fishy.
Im pretty sure "nights" is commonly written as a 6/8 tune at ~80bpm.
You can hear that tempo the best in that tune in a middle part when the piano goes to triplets.
Still the feel of the tune is on the 1 and 4 which is about the 50bpm you showed.
ie 1 (2) (3) 4 (5) (6) 1 (2) (3) 4 (5) (6)

To calculate tempo of 3/4 or 6/8...
A time signature of 6/8 means count 6 eighth notes to each bar.
A time signature of 3/4 means count 3 quarter notes to each bar
people wonder why can’t you just reduce 6/8 to 3/4? One reason you might pick one time signature versus the other is how the music is organized. 6/8 is grouped into 2 groups of 3 eighth notes. 3/4 time isgrouped into 3 groups of 2 eighth notes. Depending on the structure of the bassline or song, it may make sense to group it one way instead of the other. So 6/8 feels more like two, while 3/4 feels more like three. (waltz)

On "Nights"
Its definitely 6/8. The words "Nights in White Sa-tin" for example are all 8th notes. So the tempo for this tune is on the quater notes, or every other word in that phrase. I hear it best when I use the word "nights" as the last 8th note of the previous bar, or a pickup to the first down beat on the word "In"

nights IN white SA -tin V ^ V ^ V ^NEV ereach ING the END
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

I usually work it out from one bar - if the 6 beats of a 6/8 tempo take 5 seconds, than there will be 12 bars in 60 seconds (60/5=12), so 72 BPM. It's more accurate to use, say, 4 or 6 bars - so if 6 bars (36 beats) takes 24 seconds then there will be 2.5 six bar measures in a minute (60/24=2.5) so 36 beats X 2.5 = 90BPM. I'm using easy numbers here, it's when the numbers are funky that you find better accuracy.

Looking back on this it looks a whole lot more complicated than it seems in my head. I guess its just a matter of hearing blocks of beats, figuring how much time those blocks take and doing the math to figure how many of those blocks fit in a minute.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search