The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Has anyone built both an SCA N72 and a CAPI VP28?
Old 10th May 2013
Has anyone built both an SCA N72 and a CAPI VP28?

I ask because I'm interested in building a pair of VP28s but am a little concerned that the directions may not be as thorough?

I've put together 2 racks of SCA modules and though there were a lot of parts, the directions make it so a monkey could do it. I don't read schematics, will that be a problem?

I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with the build, debating whether or not I should tackle a pair

Old 10th May 2013
Here for the gear
FWIW; I've built 2 VP26 successfully (don't know how close they are from the VP28)... no electronics knowledge whatsoever, and my experience with the soldering iron goes as far as making my own guitar cables. Monkey-proof. They both worked flawlessly at the first try.
Old 10th May 2013
Gear Addict
I've built two VP28s and two VP312s. The VP28s aren't necessarily difficult. There are just a lot of parts. A lot more parts than the 312. The skill is just keeping the components organized.

I found the most difficult part to be the opamps. There is just not a lot of room on those boards and the solder points are small. The 1731 is harder than the 2520 because there are some areas where solder bridges are difficult to avoid.

If you are concerned, build the preamp and purchase the opamp prebuilt. The red dots only come assembled so you could get those.

Chunger has some phenomenal photo directions of the VP28 build on the GroupDIY forum. Just following that makes it really easy.
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

Yes I've built both. I built three N-72's and five A-12's before building four VP-28's .

The VP-28's are a little more tricky, they take more time and there are more components on less space. Though possible if you didn't have any problems with the N-72's .

I think someone called Crusher did a pretty good build thread on group DIY.

If you get in touch with Jeff at CAPI he will point you in the right direction for all the build threads. He's very helpful and I only have great things to say about the VP28's. You won't regret it.

Cheers,

Brett
Old 10th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett 123 View Post
Chunger.

Old 11th May 2013
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. Yeah, didn't have any issues with the SCA modules, even with 12 of them (also my first experience other than cables). I can follow directions well if they're organized. I looked for the Chunger post before posting this thread but couldn't find it. Time to look harder

Thanks again all

Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hesse View Post
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. Yeah, didn't have any issues with the SCA modules, even with 12 of them (also my first experience other than cables). I can follow directions well if they're organized. I looked for the Chunger post before posting this thread but couldn't find it. Time to look harder

Thanks again all

Here you go [BUILD] VP28~500 Series~2-Stage Preamp~Official Support Thread

Chunger (my apologies) did a great job
Old 15th May 2013
Thank you for the link. I guess I didn't scroll down far enough, just figured the thread was only Jeff's blurry pictures

I'm excited to tear into a few of these things, currently waiting for the out of stock transformers!
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett 123 View Post
Yes I've built both. I built three N-72's and five A-12's before building four VP-28's .

The VP-28's are a little more tricky, they take more time and there are more components on less space. Though possible if you didn't have any problems with the N-72's .

If you get in touch with Jeff at CAPI he will point you in the right direction for all the build threads. He's very helpful and I only have great things to say about the VP28's. You won't regret it.

Cheers,

Brett
So which do you like the sound of better, the VP28's or the A12's?
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
So which do you like the sound of better, the VP28's or the A12's?

I have the N72's and I had the A12's. I have all the CAPI stuff. I like the CAPI better then the A12's so I sold them and bought more N72's which I like a lot. So my SCA rack now has (6) N72's and (2) J99's. CAPI handles all my API sound now. They do it better than anyone else.
Old 25th May 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
I have the N72's and I had the A12's. I have all the CAPI stuff. I like the CAPI better then the A12's so I sold them and bought more N72's which I like a lot. So my SCA rack now has (6) N72's and (2) J99's. CAPI handles all my API sound now. They do it better than anyone else.

this is the direction I am heading in, time and budget willing

that N72 really is special, and the J99 calls to me...
Old 25th May 2013
Just curious, what are you using the J99s on? It's one of the only SCA modules I haven't built
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hesse View Post
Just curious, what are you using the J99s on? It's one of the only SCA modules I haven't built
I use them on things that I want to sound more like the source. So mostly good to great sounding acoustic instruments. Sometimes overheads.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search