Old 30th August 2006
Gear interested

enigma's sound

hi to everyone i need somebody tell me where can i get the enigma's sound if they added a special effect or it's natural sound i think it's a sookagoochi or something like that but i need that enigma's sound used on their records thanx
Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

There was an interview with Enigma in Future Music a few years ago. You might wanna see if it's on the Future Music website.
Old 30th August 2006

That's a Shakuhachi flute sound from some soundmodule or sampler, not a real one.
Old 31st August 2006
Gear Guru

Emu Emax had the overused, overplayed, overexposed Shakuhachi patch ala Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer. (It was Sledgehammer wasn't it? It's been a long time and I'm still trying to recover from every pop song in the universe using that patch.... )
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

I listened to Engima when I was younger as it was being played on L.A Radio.

I'm actually quite enjoying each record.. Right now, I'm into The Cross of Changes.

Enigma is electronic music but where do they belong in electronic music.. I really don't know where to put them.. Are they ambient/psybient/pop/new age?

I do like the atmosphere's Michael Cretu of Engima creates.. I think his music is fantastic.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Emu Emax had the overused, overplayed, overexposed Shakuhachi patch ala Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer. (It was Sledgehammer wasn't it? It's been a long time and I'm still trying to recover from every pop song in the universe using that patch.... )
Yes, was Sledgehammer. And yes, was way overused.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
That's a Shakuhachi flute sound from some soundmodule or sampler, not a real one.
It was also a sample for an Akai S3000 series sampler. It was on a Zero-G sample CD-Rom library I had in the early 90s. I still have the CD-Rom and used the sample myself on an instrumental track I did in the mid 90s.

Last edited by waldie wave; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:56 AM..
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
It was also a sample for an Akai S3000 series sampler. It was on a Zero-G sample CD-Rom library I had in the early 90s.
...I believe it was originally from an Emulatior II...

Though I saw Michael Brecker play with an EWI that shakuhachi sample many times from a S900... so maybe it did migrate to Akai land somehow.

Yeah, it's hard to listen to that sample, much like it's hard to listen to the D-50 "Fantasia" patch without cringing...
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear
Wow! That is interesting. I remember seeing a Emulator II in the 80s. It was such a beautiful instrument.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

pm me. Got it: Shakuhachi EMU II sample.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

Got to say it has never been an Akai sample. "Shakuhashi" came from "Loon Garden" EMU samples series
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldorodeo View Post
Got to say it has never been an Akai sample. "Shakuhashi" came from "Loon Garden" EMU samples series
It was also sampled by Zero G. It's on a Zero G CD-Rom I have for the Akai S1000/S3000 series.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
I listened to Engima when I was younger as it was being played on L.A Radio.

I'm actually quite enjoying each record.. Right now, I'm into The Cross of Changes.

Enigma is electronic music but where do they belong in electronic music.. I really don't know where to put them.. Are they ambient/psybient/pop/new age?

I do like the atmosphere's Michael Cretu of Engima creates.. I think his music is fantastic.
I dont know. Weren't Enigma kind of working the same poppy world electronic music market space as Enya and Deep Forest.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gear addict
Yeah, they were seen as new age at the time (mentions of dolphins, and that kind of meditational vibe). Enya too. He (Michael Cretu - Mr Enigma himself) went on to make something I have, called Conjure1, which is basically Enigma carried on a bit.

His productivity took a hit when the authorities on Ibiza demolished his vast house/studio back in 2009-ish. His bad for making it 3000 sq/m instead of 1000, and building it atop the hill rather than lower down, where the permissions & plans said it would be.

https://royalmind.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/2007-2009/
Michael Cretu saga on Ibiza | ibiza-blog.com

And yes, that shakuhachi flute thing was so overused I hear that the digital data was getting bald patches.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealimage View Post
Yeah, they were seen as new age at the time (mentions of dolphins, and that kind of meditational vibe). Enya too. He (Michael Cretu - Mr Enigma himself) went on to make something I have, called Conjure1, which is basically Enigma carried on a bit.

His productivity took a hit when the authorities on Ibiza demolished his vast house/studio back in 2009-ish. His bad for making it 3000 sq/m instead of 1000, and building it atop the hill rather than lower down, where the permissions & plans said it would be.

https://royalmind.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/2007-2009/
Michael Cretu saga on Ibiza | ibiza-blog.com

And yes, that shakuhachi flute thing was so overused I hear that the digital data was getting bald patches.
Wow. Interesting read. I have been it Ibiza and Mallorca. A lot of filthy rich people there. But what I want to know is how the hell did Cretu make that much money from Enigma to build something like this? Did he own the entire record label that released it? Man, I got to get me some flute samples.

btw - I also remembered now, Enigma brought Gregorian chant music into the mainstream media in the 90s.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

His production is out there. I love it.. It really takes me on a journey(especially with a fat cigar *wink)..

There's a song called "I love you I kill you" You may have heard of it...

I love the track as it's very atmospheric.. I also heard the song at a few strip bars too while the girls are doing their dancing on the pole kind of thing..
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
...how the hell did Cretu make that much money from Enigma to build something like this? Did he own the entire record label that released it? Man, I got to get me some flute samples.

btw - I also remembered now, Enigma brought Gregorian chant music into the mainstream media in the 90s.
He'd produced some other big-time stuff before starting Enigma, plus I think he married a major German pop star which probably helped a little. I think they divorced around the time of the demolition - I can't imagine how shitty his life must have felt at the time. By then he was pretty much in complete control - I know there were the occasional remarks to the effect that he might usefully have some external editorial input to curb some of the mis-steps, which suggests that he was "it".

The place was fabulous though. There used to be a more detailed account of the destruction online but I can't find it anymore. Some people might just feel schadenfreude to see something like this, but I just grieved for him, even if he was the architect of his own misfortune.

There were a lot of people mocking the chants and the flutes etc, but it certainly paid off.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealimage View Post
He'd produced some other big-time stuff before starting Enigma, plus I think he married a major German pop star which probably helped a little. I think they divorced around the time of the demolition - I can't imagine how shitty his life must have felt at the time. By then he was pretty much in complete control - I know there were the occasional remarks to the effect that he might usefully have some external editorial input to curb some of the mis-steps, which suggests that he was "it".

The place was fabulous though. There used to be a more detailed account of the destruction online but I can't find it anymore. Some people might just feel schadenfreude to see something like this, but I just grieved for him, even if he was the architect of his own misfortune.

There were a lot of people mocking the chants and the flutes etc, but it certainly paid off.
those chants and flutes with a 909 freestyle beat was very sexy..

I liked it alot..
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I liked it alot..
...barely above the level of Muzak... - schlocky, new age drivel...

I'm sorry - just don't get it....oh well, c'est la vie, and to each his own...
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gear addict
I didn't care for it at the time either. Strangely enough it was newer commercial music that began to make it look respectable after all. Sign of the times, perhaps!

I don't sit down to listen to it even now, but as a soundtrack for wandering around town, it's pretty good because you can tune in and out of it quite easily.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gear addict

Quote:

I liked it alot..
it was okay but not my personal fav. of that genre in the 90s, i think i got into deep forest a bit more. the stuff they did with bulgarian or turkish folk musicians was really good stuff IMO.

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search