The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the best reamping box Direct Injection Boxes
Old 7th May 2013
Gear Head

What is the best reamping box

What is the best reamping box in my price range?

I'm looking to get a reamp box because I hate using amp sims now. They sound so unreal to me. So I'm looking to spend no more than $200 on an reamp box. What I will be doing is recording with my amp sims. Then later reamping the dry signal to a real amp. So in order to do this I need a reamp box correct? So I'm trying to get opinions on what box i should get for what I'm using it for... Strictly for sending dry guitar from DAW out of my interface to an amp and micing the amp for real guitar tone.

Thanks for your help!
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

I use and like the Radial X-Amp for the specific task you have outlined.

I also like to use a Radial J48 on my way into the preamp, but it sounds like you have the input covered and only want recommendations for the output to the amp.

Hard to go wrong with Radial gear.
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

+1 on the Radial X-Amp.
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Head

Thanks guys!
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Nut

I also like the Palmer Daccapo box. For reamping- there is a good schematic diagram here: What is Reamping?
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Raindirk and DAV make really good DI/Reamp combos; definitely up there with Radial. Also Orchid in the UK do a xformerless one for a bargain £50 which is really good if you don't feel the need for galvanic isolation. (Read this about their DI boxes... up there with Radial in sonic quality)
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

I have the Palmer Daccapo as well. Dunno how it stacks up against the others as it's the only one I've ever had, but haven't noticed anything wrong with it...
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

MW1 Studio Tool. Radial x-amp is pretty good too. The JCR is cool for a passive one.
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
MW1 Studio Tool. Radial x-amp is pretty good too. The JCR is cool for a passive one.
The MW1 is amazing and super versatile. Tons of I/O, routing and variable impedance on the way in and out. Definitely one of the most used pieces in my studio, more than $200 though.

Jon
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjonlow View Post
The MW1 is amazing and super versatile. Tons of I/O, routing and variable impedance on the way in and out. Definitely one of the most used pieces in my studio, more than $200 though.

Jon
Oops. Missed that requirement.
Old 5th January 2015
Here for the gear
I've never actually used one, i go straight out from my liquid saffire 56 output 5 (switched to pre master volume) and dropped 15db.
Works an absolute treat, tones are great and I've never had an issue with clipping or over distortion.

I believe there is a huge argument why these are actually needed.

But this works for me, might not suit everyone.
Old 5th January 2015
Why anyone would want an active Reamp box beats me ... the whole purpose of a Reamp box is to attenuate a strong balanced line level down to a weaker unbalanced instrument level. Effectively, you want to emulate a guitar pickup (which is a coil of wire being excited by a moving magnetic field).

So this is the perfect application for a custom wound transformer with a volume control ... which is exactly what the patent protected JCR is. There is no need to use an active amplifer circuit - because no matter how good or expensive an active circuit, it will add noise (just like using an active pickup). You've already captured more noise than a passive pickup during the DI tracking process - how much more noise do you want to add (especially in front of high gain pedals and amps).

Since this is all about matching levels, impedance and unbalancing - if your audio interface already does this, agreed - there is no need for one.

One reason why a passive Reamp driven by balanced +4 line level might work in your favor is in a typical studio where the guitar cab tracking room is some distance away from the control room. If you need to run an audio signal over long cables, a hot balanced signal is much better for avoiding noise problems. Sit the reamp box right on top of the amp, with a short patch cable - keeps the unbalanced section to the minimum. Also - with AC power coming from two different room, ground loop hum is often an issue. A transformer can break a ground loop hum.

The 'best' active DI boxes have a transformer to stop ground loop hum - but that really makes the active side redundant for this simple gain dropping/unbalancing exercise.

I would love to hear from somebody who has a good logical reason why active works better for them. But at this point, the main reason I can see for building an active reamp box is purely because the best design (JCR passive reamp) is patent protected.
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear
I have the non-Jensen Radial, the Pro Reamp. Sounds great.
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

I just used some Edcor transformers and some resistors and jacks, and an enclosure. Very inexpensive DIY build. I have 4 channels, but, I actually don't reamp very often, but it does sound good. The cheaper Radial is probably similar. If you buy a Jensen or Jensen-equipped reamp you'll really be styling.
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Make your own for about $50. I made two of them years ago. they sound great.
Good little project for winter.

- Build Your Own Reamp Box : Recording Magazine -

Here's a Mouser parts list...

AN-1302 Project box
568-NCJ6FI-S Neutrik Combo
568-NYS219/2 1/4" jack
450-6003 Knob
51AAD-B28-D15L 10K audio taper pot
7101K2ZQE Toggle
838-MET-59 Transformer (or use 838-MET-31)
70F101AF-RC .1H choke
CMF551M0000FHEK res. 1M ohm
CMF5510K000FHEK res. 10kohm
CMF55681R00FHEK res. 681ohm

Make sure you bridge transformer pins 4 and 5 together.

Old 6th January 2015
Gear Nut

I took the easy road and DIY'd the DIYRE "Line-2-Amp" kit. Good value IMO - right under $50 for the complete un-assembled kit and a nice silk-screened metal enclosure. Uses an Edcor transformer...

LINE2AMP Passive Re-Amplifier Kit – DIYRE

LINE2AMP Reamping Box - DIYRE Wiki

Old 6th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Websie1978 View Post
I've never actually used one, i go straight out from my liquid saffire 56 output 5 (switched to pre master volume) and dropped 15db.
Works an absolute treat, tones are great and I've never had an issue with clipping or over distortion.

I do the same thing with my ULN2, and it sounds fine. Direct track recorded to my DAW, sent out the ULN2 through a guitar cable into my amp. I compared it with my guitar plugged into the amp, and after I adjusted the DAW output volume to match the output of the guitar, I don't hear any difference.

Then I either mic the amp's speaker, or I use my Palmer speaker simulator, which sounds pretty good too, and it's easier to adjust the tone in your headphones when you're not hearing the amp in the room as well. Just make sure you use a load resistor with a tube amp.

That said, amp software has gotten better. I was recently pretty impressed with the Voxengo Boogex amp sim plug-in. It actually compared very favorably with some of my best amp software, and it's free! The Emphasis EQ was a little tricky, but once I got the hang of it, I came up with some nice sounds.
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Head

Reamping...
I have several reamp boxes. The differences in tonal character don't really show up until you print 2 tracks. (sometimes I do quadtracking, and then the differences get more clearer... ).

I have a Rossi passive re-amp box (Neutrik transformer), a Radial EXTC (active) (500 format guitarfx insertmodule that can be used as DI/reamper in one go), 2 Focusrite Tonefactories(active of course), and I also tested the Little Labs Redeye once, which is passive.

The Radial and the Rossi are the ones I prefer. The Radial has more features than the Rossi, but it also costs about 6 times as much (you do get a dedicated instrument input with it though...).
The Tonefactory is a great piece of equipment. It somewhat looses a tiny bit of top-end while reamping, but just an itsy bitsy tiny bit, and to me it was only noticable with high gain driven metal guitars. Even though, this is a very good choice, as you can buy a used TF nowadays for very little money, and it's a very versatile piece of equipment. (I think the tonefactory is one of the best pieces of the Platinum range, probably along with the Compounder of which I heard very positive stories.)
The LL redeye was a real disappointment. The tones coming out of it are lifeless. But I must say I had high expectations of this one...

Active... Passive. It doesn't matter to me. The only important thing to me is that there's no difference between the clean guitarsignal and the re-amp signal. The Radial does that.
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Why anyone would want an active Reamp box beats me ... the whole purpose of a Reamp box is to attenuate a strong balanced line level down to a weaker unbalanced instrument level. Effectively, you want to emulate a guitar pickup (which is a coil of wire being excited by a moving magnetic field).

So this is the perfect application for a custom wound transformer with a volume control ... which is exactly what the patent protected JCR is. There is no need to use an active amplifer circuit - because no matter how good or expensive an active circuit, it will add noise (just like using an active pickup). You've already captured more noise than a passive pickup during the DI tracking process - how much more noise do you want to add (especially in front of high gain pedals and amps).

Since this is all about matching levels, impedance and unbalancing - if your audio interface already does this, agreed - there is no need for one.

One reason why a passive Reamp driven by balanced +4 line level might work in your favor is in a typical studio where the guitar cab tracking room is some distance away from the control room. If you need to run an audio signal over long cables, a hot balanced signal is much better for avoiding noise problems. Sit the reamp box right on top of the amp, with a short patch cable - keeps the unbalanced section to the minimum. Also - with AC power coming from two different room, ground loop hum is often an issue. A transformer can break a ground loop hum.

The 'best' active DI boxes have a transformer to stop ground loop hum - but that really makes the active side redundant for this simple gain dropping/unbalancing exercise.

I would love to hear from somebody who has a good logical reason why active works better for them. But at this point, the main reason I can see for building an active reamp box is purely because the best design (JCR passive reamp) is patent protected.
Great post and some great points, though I'd say the main reason for a Balanced signal is so that the Track can be brought back into a LFAC and Effects units on Sends and also by purpose after gaining the right amount of distortion going straight into +4dBm equates to a much quieter signal on recapture and options ahoy with processing configurations, it's reasons like that why I use an RND and Manley D.I
Etc.
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Addict

Broadcast Pro Audio || Passive Link

In my experience, a bit better (adjustable) than the Radial box, and cheaper too.
Old 16th July 2016
Here for the gear
I use a Sansamp PSA1 - an extraordinary rack-mounted analog guitar preamp/modeler which happens to have 1/4" input and output that are both switchable between line- and instrument-level. You can bypass the preamp entirely and you're reamping.
Its a little above of your price range (250-300 used on ebay) but then its much more than just a reamp box.
Old 2nd May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Websie1978 View Post

I would like to try this having a Saffire 56 myself. Can you explain (a couple of years later) "switched to pre master volume"? Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search