The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's that sound? (soundclip inside)
Old 4th May 2013
Here for the gear

What's that sound? (soundclip inside)

Hey guys, can someone please help me?! I love this song and the whole production but I just can't figure out how they did the atmospheric sounds in the background of the verses and it's driving me insane Is that a guitarfeedback with tons of reverb?? Some sample? Some synthesizer? Someone please tell me

Link: Matthew Mayfield - Take What I Can Get (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Thanks!! Ben
Old 4th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisben View Post
Hey guys, can someone please help me?! I love this song and the whole production but I just can't figure out how they did the atmospheric sounds in the background of the verses and it's driving me insane Is that a guitarfeedback with tons of reverb?? Some sample? Some synthesizer? Someone please tell me

Link: Matthew Mayfield - Take What I Can Get (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Thanks!! Ben
Can you be more specific as to what sound you're talking about? There's a lot of ethereal stuff going on in the background between verses.

If you're talking about that initial drone that happens when the song first starts (and lasts throughout the song) it sounds like a pad of some sort. The actual sound itself sounds like some sort of bowed/stringed instrument. It wouldn't be that hard to recreate; what DAW are you using (assuming you even want to recreate it)?
Old 4th May 2013
Gear Guru

Those are drones used as pads.

Drones used to be (and sometimes still are) artfully crafted layers built from one or more disparate sources and artfully processed, but mostly it's a ready-made world these days and you can get sounds like the ones in that song by pulling up any random preset in Absynth or Omnisphere and pressing a key on your keyboard.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 5th May 2013
I hear a tempo synced tremolo on something, and later on some breathy filtered stuff ... not sure exactly what sounds you are focusing on. I would expect these sounds mostly come from keyboards or soft synths. It's certainly a lot easier to do pulsing tempo sync'd stuff ITB with soft synths. Some keyboards can sync to external midi clock and give you tempo sync'd stuff.

You can do ambient droney stuff with a guitar if you want - temp sync'd delays are good for that. But for actual pulsing tempo sync'd stuff there aren't many processors that do that well. One of my main gripes about Line6 stuff is there utter refusal to make their products sync to midi clock. They have no idea - as is evident in any forum discussion about Line6 and midi tempo. Roland are much better in this regard, and there a boxes like the Adrenalinn that also work.

Boss make a Slicer pedal that isn't as great as it could have been, but can do pulsing tremolo stuff that syncs to midi clock.

But it's probably easier to play a preset on a soft synth ...

Camel Audio Alchemy is great for droney ambient stuff - and you can import your own samples if you want to process your guitar sounds ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search