The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
It Came ... W O W
Old 17th September 2002
Gear Maniac

It Came ... W O W

Q U A N T E C Y A R D S T I C K

Does that say it all .. yuktyy If not, I'll add a fefw words ....

Aside from looking really cool in it's metalic electric blue clothing .. sitting on top of the silver
KSP8 ... And would you believe ... it's only 38 MM DEEP grggt I think I stared at it in disbelief for about 5 min ... kinda rolling it in the palms of my hands (doesn't weigh much either).
They are coming out with an 8 channel unitt .... the SAME SIZE !!! The wonders of German Engineering will never cease.

It is without a dought the best sounding, most natural verb .... I've ever heard .. will definitly find it's way into any mix I do from here on out and may well be the primary verb in many of them.
Deceptivly simple, with far fewer parameters than most high end units, it is quite flexible. in the words of the guy I bought it from "You Can Use It On ANYTHING" .... Well ..... He's right

Whoever is looking for a killer verb would be wise to consider this peice of hardware tht looks like it came off the Starship Enterprise heh
Old 17th September 2002
Cool!

Hmmmm, I dunno,

I may decide to stick with 44/48 24 bit Mix + for a LONG TIME

If I do - 'cheer up' toys like the Kurz & the Quantec & the TC DTWO might start to turn up at my studio...

But at the moment new gear with no 96k operation worries me...

Anyhow, I bet its DOES sound amazing Kyle.

Old 17th September 2002
Gear Addict

Hey Kyle,

That thang sounds sweeet! When are you gonna bring it over? You know I want to A/B it with the Eclipse.

BTW... nice use of Smilies... very festive!
Old 19th September 2002
Gear Nut

Anyone fancy creating a bunch of Altverb impulses from it?

Beg beg..
Old 19th September 2002
Gear Addict

Exactly what I was thinking! rollz yuktyy rollz

The eight channel sounds fun. All AES/Ebu?
Old 19th September 2002
Lives for gear

Jules, for a verb, most of which need to roll off at around 10K to sound at all natural, would analog I/O be such a compromise should you go to 96K?

I mean, you would happily go analog I/O to an EMT 250/251, an AMS RMX16 or a vintage EMT plate, would you not?

Regards,
Brian T
Old 19th September 2002
Gear Maniac

The 8ch .. "2404/5" .. will have an analog option. With that opt I'm hearing it will be about the same .. or less than the Sys 6000 (that I Used To lust for) and without, is definitly cheaper

I now have a new Lust in knob land heh
Old 19th September 2002
what is the yardstick?! I want one too...
Old 19th September 2002
Lives for gear

The Quantec has been the perfect reverb fot those dig-only aux sends on the DMX R100.
Old 19th September 2002
Where can I read more about'em?
Old 19th September 2002
Gear Maniac

how do the reverbs compare with the KSP8?
Old 19th September 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
Jules, for a verb, most of which need to roll off at around 10K to sound at all natural, would analog I/O be such a compromise should you go to 96K?

I mean, you would happily go analog I/O to an EMT 250/251, an AMS RMX16 or a vintage EMT plate, would you not?

Regards,
Brian T
I've started going analog to my Lex 300 (using the dreaded PTHD) recently and think I like it better.

-R
Old 19th September 2002
"Jules, for a verb, most of which need to roll off at around 10K to sound at all natural, would analog I/O be such a compromise should you go to 96K?

Regards,

BT"

There is a certain "shwing!" factor about running a digital outboard i/o via AES.. for starters you can make them go out of better converters, (Prism in my case) and recieve digital inputs from within the DAW. Then, it chaps my ass that 2 DAW converter outs are invoved per reverb unit if you go the analog route..

Right now I can send digitally to 4 stereo devices and route ALL the outputs out of ONE FX output stereo pair of Prisms..

Saves valuable converter channel count...

+ I can 'print' reverb - free of extra conversion....

...just my 2 Euros

Old 20th September 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
"Jules, for a verb, most of which need to roll off at around 10K to sound at all natural, would analog I/O be such a compromise should you go to 96K?

Regards,

BT"

There is a certain "shwing!" factor about running a digital outboard i/o via AES.. for starters you can make them go out of better converters, (Prism in my case) and recieve digital inputs from within the DAW. Then, it chaps my ass that 2 DAW converter outs are invoved per reverb unit if you go the analog route..

Right now I can send digitally to 4 stereo devices and route ALL the outputs out of ONE FX output stereo pair of Prisms..

Saves valuable converter channel count...

+ I can 'print' reverb - free of extra conversion....

...just my 2 Euros

I know what you mean. I'm running a KSP8 digitally in/out of my rig right now.

Know what, though? It really is not even worth talking about the difference in sound with good quality analog I/O on a verb vs digital. At least IMO. In a mix, I don't think anybody could possibly know which was which.

I think it's more the concept of all digital that's appealing than the actual sonic reality in this case.

But that's just me.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 20th September 2002
"I think it's more the concept of all digital that's appealing than the actual sonic reality in this case.'

You are not wrong.

heh

Some folks like to tidy up before a mix session starts, I like to hook up my digital i/o outboard..

So - have you got a multi channel AES card for the kurzweil then? If so, is that a beta? Or is it available to buy now...?

yuktyy
Old 20th September 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
"I think it's more the concept of all digital that's appealing than the actual sonic reality in this case.'

You are not wrong.

heh

Some folks like to tidy up before a mix session starts, I like to hook up my digital i/o outboard..

So - have you got a multi channel AES card for the kurzweil then? If so, is that a beta? Or is it available to buy now...?

yuktyy
Lightpipe I/O but still using the BNC for Word Clock.

BT
Old 20th September 2002
Gear Maniac

Jeronimo: ...... Go here .......
http://www.quantec.de/menu_e/index.s...ww.quantec.com

Quote:
Originally posted by etherize
how do the reverbs compare with the KSP8?
The KSP8 is a nice box indeed, considering all the goodies inside and very useful clean verbs with what I would consider a sheer like quality, regardless of room size. The verb sort of floats around the signal as opposed to eveloping it .... hope this makes sense .. never said I was the best at describing verbs rollz rollz

Therin lies my dilema .... I wanted a lead voc to be "wrapped" in it's own defining signoficant density ..... unobtrusive, yet undeniable in setting the voc apart. The Quantec gives me the density wrapfor seperation, but doesn't cloud up so much as a single breath heh It's a beautiful thing grggt

I hope that all makes sense

btw .. anybody know when the AES I/O option for the Kurz is coming out ? It's really beginning to teeeeeee me off madd
Old 20th September 2002
How much for those babies...
Old 20th September 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
How much for those babies...
$2500 US is the best price I could find .... but I got a little lucky on Ebay heh

Call it synchronicity ... I'ts the only time I've seen it there. Occasionally you'll see the QRS Room simulator there.yuktyy
Old 21st September 2002
Gear Maniac

$1500!!!

:eek:
๐Ÿ“ Reply