The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
No Hype Audio LRM1 ribbon mic anyone
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

No Hype Audio LRM1 ribbon mic anyone

Anybody know anything about this model or the company?
Is this ribbon mic comparable to say the Golden Age ribbons ?
They are in the same price category.

Please don't shun either! They are cheap yes ok. They are not RCA 77 yes ok.
The GAP ribbons are quite good sounding to most musical and well trained ears out there despite price, so I'm wondering if this NoHypeAudio is actually in that same league or not.
The company distributes LineAudios CM3 with which many of you are probably familiar...

Thanks!
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

Hi, sorry I missed this.

I would say it's comparable in that it looks similar but instead of selling products off an assembly line in China, I get parts in, test and assemble them and add or change a few things in the process. I also offer a Lundahl tranformer option. So the end product is radically different.

I'll see if I can get some of my customers to join in the discussion as my opinion would obviously be biased.

BTW the LRM-1 or any similar mic will be closer to the RCA44, not the 77. The 77 had a radically different ribbon motor.

BR,
Old 25th May 2013
Gear interested

Hi,
I bought one of the first that were assembled, basically because the price was irresistible and friends of mine had worked with JP (company owner) and had had a good experience.
I've never tried an RCA 77 but all I can say about this Ribbon is that I have never used any other mic on guitar ever since I received that package.
What this mic does to the guitar sound is something I haven't heard with any other mic so far.
I'm into minimalistic, analog recording and I'm a very happy customer since day first.

Check one example and judge by yourself:

I DON'T PLAY - YouTube
Old 30th May 2013
Gear Head
Great Mic, got it about two weeks ago and used it to records guitars, bass and vocals on my upcoming EP. I was going for a retro guitar sound (old framus with vintage fender twin reverb silverface recorded with lots of echo on a Tascam TSR 8) and it just did the job greatly. Also sounded great on bass. I really wanna try it on some brass one of these days.

Here's a little snippet of the first song where you can hear some guitars and bass (mostly toward the end) and a bit of omnichord that I recorded both through the vintage silverface TR with the LRM-1) and with some direct sound blended together. The bass is recorded with a fender jazzbass through an ampeg SVT amp with the LRM1. Guitar (though it's far in the mix) was recorded with both the LRM1 and an Adk LOL 47 chi microphone that I also bought from JP.

https://soundcloud.com/user4285047/t...left-for-space

I haven't tried an RCA 77 either, just tried a few ribbon mics here and there (CM3 included) but I figured 100$ is never a huge risk, so I bought one to try it out and I'm pretty pleased with it right now, so I guess it's a keeper!

The thing I can vouch for though is that Nohype Audio has one of the best and most reliable customer service you can get. JP values his customers and any problem is usually solved quickly and efficiently.
Old 3rd July 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Hi, sorry I missed this.

I would say it's comparable in that it looks similar but instead of selling products off an assembly line in China, I get parts in, test and assemble them and add or change a few things in the process. I also offer a Lundahl tranformer option. So the end product is radically different.

I'll see if I can get some of my customers to join in the discussion as my opinion would obviously be biased.

BTW the LRM-1 or any similar mic will be closer to the RCA44, not the 77. The 77 had a radically different ribbon motor.

BR,
Hey JP - Considering a couple but I think the shipping costs might be a deal breaker. I'm down here in Auckland, New Zealand. What kind of shipping costs / options would there be to me?

Cheers
Craig
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Hi Craig, it's not cheap but not outrageous either, 50 Euros for a pair.
Old 19th January 2014
Gear interested

Hi JP, any news on when you're going to have these mics in again?

Thanks!
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

Hi, my main problem with getting parts from China now is the lead time. I'm hoping to have parts in late March so the first units from the new batch should ship in early April. If all goes well... I hope to find a European supplier who could get me the same parts. I'm guessing that I would reject fewer parts per batch, too. If anyone has a lead, let me know. I think that a slight price increase for EU sourced parts wouln't be a problem for most people. But right now I have to do with Chinese parts. I still have Lundahls and other bits on hand but I can't make complete mics. I now order a lot more parts kits from PRC so hopefully I won't be oout of stock again. I admit that November/December 2013 took me by surprised and cleaned my stock faster than I anticipated.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

Hi again
I'm wondering, can you tell us what thickness the ribbon is? Also, do you personally check the tightness on the mics or do you ship them stock?

Many thanks
L.
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

Hi, it's specified at 2 Microns. And yes it may vary a bit. But as long as the sensitivity and freq. response is not affected my supplier will ship the motors, they will reject them based on performance under test only, they don't measure the raw Aluminum sheets thickness before assembly. Final assembly is done here in Belgium. I ship nothing untested! You can't ship stuff of Chinese origin untested, that's asking for trouble. There are currently 6 parts that are not in the kits I get from my Chinese supplier. With some luck the next batch from my Chinese supplier will include a coupe of the internal parts I'm currently adding here, saving me a bit of time. We're also working on getting tighter tolerances on the ribbon motors. So if you wanted to know if I'm selling mics sealed at the factory, the answer is no. They come here not ready for sale. When I ship them, they are...
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks! As long as they're not more than 3.5/4 microns.... I think alls good!

I imagine then you'll also check/guarantee correct tightness/sag of ribbon before you ship??

Thanks
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

Sorry, I guess that wasn't clear in my prevous post. Every ribbon motor is inspected for obvious visual faults and put aside if an issues if found (about 3% in the last batch) then the mic is tested and compared with my benchmark and matched pairs get an extra selection to make sure the 2 mics are identical. Unless something dramatic happens during shipping, the mics are delivered working as they should with properly tensioned ribbon.
Old 20th May 2014
Gear Head

I recently purchased a No Hype Audio LRM1 from JP and it's an excellent product.

Shipping was tracked and very fast and the packaging was amazingly good which gives you a lot of confidence when buying a fragile item. The mic ships with a nice padded bag which you can leave on the mic to protect the ribbon when moving it around etc.

The mic itself is large, very chunky and solid feeling and has plenty of that retro goodness in the styling that will appeal to the vain performance side of any vocal talent that you're trying to coax a great performance out of!

Sound wise, on vocals it's warm and full bodied but not too dark, still nicely detailed with some definite character. My voice is slightly sibilant in the top end and this mic just rounds that off pleasingly without dulling the body of the voice too severely.

It's supposed to be really good on guitar cabs and that's probably the next thing I'll test it on. I've not had it long but I'm very pleased, I'll try to record some sound clips when I get time and add them to the thread.

If you're in the EU and looking for a quality ribbon at a competitive price - this one is a no brainer. For me, one of the key factors is the pro set-up by JP in Belgium and continuing after sales support. That's the sort of thing you just don't usually get when buying a Far Eastern product.
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I have some in stock now, and I'll build more in weeks to come. Then before they run out I should have received the next batch of parts (Fall of this year).
Old 21st May 2014
Gear Head

A was knocking out some tunes with my acoustic guitar this evening so I thought I do a quick and dirty demo of the LRM1 on a vocal through low end equipment, without processing and in an untreated room. There's plenty of nicely recorded demos on the website, this is really the opposite, just showing how it behaves in a typical worst case scenario 'bedroom' situation where many people who use more budget friendly equipment will be recording. The back of the mic picks up a bit of the guitar that I'm playing along with – hope that doesn't spoil it – as I said, quick and dirty!

LRM1 - Liquid Saffire 56 (with Neve 1074 emulation preamp) – Reason 7. A little of the factory plate reverb but no further processing, no compression or eq or anything else. Warts and all.

https://soundcloud.com/decibeldave-1...-for-gearslutz
Old 29th May 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibel dave View Post
A was knocking out some tunes with my acoustic guitar this evening so I thought I do a quick and dirty demo of the LRM1 on a vocal through low end equipment, without processing and in an untreated room. There's plenty of nicely recorded demos on the website, this is really the opposite, just showing how it behaves in a typical worst case scenario 'bedroom' situation where many people who use more budget friendly equipment will be recording. The back of the mic picks up a bit of the guitar that I'm playing along with – hope that doesn't spoil it – as I said, quick and dirty!

LRM1 - Liquid Saffire 56 (with Neve 1074 emulation preamp) – Reason 7. A little of the factory plate reverb but no further processing, no compression or eq or anything else. Warts and all.

https://soundcloud.com/decibeldave-1...-for-gearslutz
Old 29th May 2014
Gear interested

nice recording decibel dave I dig your voice and style that mic makes you sound 10000000$ .I am trying to find howthis mic sounds on drums got any recordings?
Vincent
Old 30th May 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzfaas View Post
nice recording decibel dave I dig your voice and style that mic makes you sound 10000000$ .I am trying to find howthis mic sounds on drums got any recordings?
Vincent
Cheers Vincent! That's very kind, there are some recorded examples of the mic being used for drums at this page:

NoHype Audio Products: Quality Affordable Audio Equipment
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Maniac
Hey Dave,

Recording sounds great. Did you order the lundahl or stock version?
Old 11th July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRanger View Post
Hey Dave,

Recording sounds great. Did you order the lundahl or stock version?
Cheers mate, that's the stock version.
Old 25th August 2014
Gear interested

Is it possible to use a Fethead Phantom (not Standard) with the LRM-1, or will the 48v fry the ribbon?
Old 25th August 2014
Lives for gear

It will work fine as long as the Fethead is connected to the mic BEFORE Phantom is applied. But ideally, a Fethead STD should be used. If you already have a Fethead Phantom, you can use it with the LRM-1, no need to buy a Fethead STD.
Old 25th August 2014
Gear interested

Thanks!
Old 12th September 2014
Gear interested

Ordered the mic today
Old 31st October 2015
Gear Addict

Hello
I've listened to the audio samples on nohypeaudio.com and the LRM-1 sound very very bright (considering they're ribbons). I've sold a pair of Se Voodoo and I don't wanna do the same mistake twice. Could someone tell me if the LRM-2 is darker? I'm not looking for a very dark mic, I'm looking for the classic ribbon roll off on the high-end
Old 31st October 2015
Lives for gear

The LRM mics don't roll off the way, say, an RCA 74 would. They have a relatively smooth and natural top end. In this price range, you might want to try an Oktava ribbon first, some of them have a drastic drop above the usual 10K area (ML52 I think?).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search