RME MADIface XT USB 3.0 Interface

http://www.synthax.de/media/files/ka...ews-MM2013.pdf
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

Hehe USB 3 finally exploited.
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

What's PCI-EX?

Looks super handy for guys that want to capture a MADI stream plus two ambience!

Will it work at USB 2 with lower channel count?

Price compared to the digico?
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear
Wow... That is all. RME drivers are second to none. I can see this being a winner!
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

Very very interesting! Can't wait to get my hands on this.
This could be a great control room interface for remote work with the pre's and converters on stage. Two line outs for speakers, two for producer listen, two digital for 2track recorder and mic inputs for talkback via the RME mixer. Very nice!
Old 4th April 2013
Gear Head

I suppose specs haven't been published yet and all we can do is speculate until then, but can this bring another bump towards even lower latency via usb?
Old 4th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywellas View Post
I suppose specs haven't been published yet and all we can do is speculate until then, but can this bring another bump towards even lower latency via usb?
Accoridng to USB 3.0 specs, it can have much lower latency than USB 2.0, so I suppose this interface will be better than current USB interfaces from RME in terms of latency. Also I see that it's PCE-E compatible, which leads my thoughts to Thunderbolt.
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear
Its about friken time someone took advantage of USB3!
Old 4th April 2013
Here for the gear

Yesssssss!!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methull View Post
Accoridng to USB 3.0 specs, it can have much lower latency than USB 2.0, so I suppose this interface will be better than current USB interfaces from RME in terms of latency. Also I see that it's PCE-E compatible, which leads my thoughts to Thunderbolt.
Lower latency in terms of recording or it also impacts the greater count of vsti when producing music?
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

what is PCI-EX?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post
Lower latency in terms of recording or it also impacts the greater count of vsti when producing music?
USB 2.0 transmits SOF/uSOF at fixed 1 ms/125 microseconds intervals. A device driver may change the interval with small finite adjustments depending on the implementation of host and system software. USB 3.0 adds mechanism for devices to send a Bus Interval Adjustment Message that is used by the host to adjust its 125 microseconds bus interval up to +/-13.333 microseconds. In addition, the host may send an Isochronous Timestamp Packet (ITP) within a relaxed timing window from a bus interval boundary.

This means, that USB 3.0 takes less CPU and can have much lower latency because it's asynchronous and its 125 microseconds bus interval may be adjusted.
Old 5th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Aaand this is why I love GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methull View Post
USB 2.0 transmits SOF/uSOF at fixed 1 ms/125 microseconds intervals. A device driver may change the interval with small finite adjustments depending on the implementation of host and system software. USB 3.0 adds mechanism for devices to send a Bus Interval Adjustment Message that is used by the host to adjust its 125 microseconds bus interval up to +/-13.333 microseconds. In addition, the host may send an Isochronous Timestamp Packet (ITP) within a relaxed timing window from a bus interval boundary.

This means, that USB 3.0 takes less CPU and can have much lower latency because it's asynchronous and its 125 microseconds bus interval may be adjusted.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrake View Post
what is PCI-EX?
German for Thunderbolt perhaps?

Previous RME interfaces have been available as USB 2/Firewire so maybe this is USB 3 and Thunderbolt.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrake View Post
what is PCI-EX?
I saw somewhere that's what some in Europe call Thunderbolt. PCI-EX (external) so the gentleman above is on to something. Maybe someone from RME can clarify when they get a chance.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonythecat View Post
German for Thunderbolt perhaps?

Previous RME interfaces have been available as USB 2/Firewire so maybe this is USB 3 and Thunderbolt.
Interesting...

What would be the hard drive and DAW requirements to record the full track count?!

It also says MIDI over MADI, so I guess this would team up with remote controllable mic amps on stage?!
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Addict

As far as I'm aware PCI-EX is an external PCI-E connection which is not Thunderbolt, but rather is the PCI SIG's response to Thunderbolt... i.e. something super fast & external... Thunderbolt is Intel & Apple, PCI-EX is the PCI SIG... will try & find a link
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

As UFX can be plugged on usb 3 right now (with usb 2 limitation), I'm asking myself if a firmware could bring usb3 to ufx? Or am I dreaming?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post
As far as I'm aware PCI-EX is an external PCI-E connection which is not Thunderbolt, but rather is the PCI SIG's response to Thunderbolt... i.e. something super fast & external... Thunderbolt is Intel & Apple, PCI-EX is the PCI SIG... will try & find a link
Hmm, google would only give stuff to me about PCI-X.

Why fight thunderbolt now? (Unless maybe it has a more robust locking connector).
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Maniac
Very nice, a small interface with madi, just what i need

I hope price doesnt go for 1500usd+
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

Man, RME went overboard this year with about 8 new products !!
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

Looks interesting. Hopefully more USB3 interfaces pop up, I think its possible the mbox line gets updated to USB3 with the release of Pro Tools 11. Other than that I dont expect any other USB3 devices. Im liking the face of the new RME products, much cleaner looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

Asynchronous USB over Thunderbolt? Really? Can we not have Thunderbolt as well (seeing as every new Mac currently comes equipped with it)? USB is better for hard drives etc.. surely?
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

Did anyone else notice OCTAMIC XT in that product sheet? Remote controlled preamps which look kind of like the UFX's ones.

JUST WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

Alright! Now we talking!! Looks good also, must see the back.
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
Did anyone else notice OCTAMIC XT in that product sheet? Remote controlled preamps which look kind of like the UFX's ones.

JUST WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR
Oh yeah I saw! Good times
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

What does "3X Virtuell MIDI I/O uber MADI I/O" mean?
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

That you have three MIDI I/O that are transported over MADI I guess.
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

Wish she'd turn around and pull her pants down. I'd love to see all the I/O's
Old 6th April 2013
Gear Addict

I'm from Germany and here we call Thunderbolt...Thunderbolt :D

So if this box had a thunderbolt port they'd have mentioned it I'm sure.
Closed