The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
effects units for analog recording Analog Processors (HW)
Old 1st April 2013
Here for the gear

effects units for analog recording

I just bought an Otari 2" 24 track,leaving the world of infinite plug in's behind, and I was curious which delay/reverb/phaser units people use to add a little magic to their tape recordings. it's definitely a new ballgame working to tape. the recordings we've made so far sound really good to us, but all the vocals are "dry", which is cool but not the best thing for every song. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 1st April 2013
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlandic View Post
I just bought an Otari 2" 24 track,leaving the world of infinite plug in's behind, and I was curious which delay/reverb/phaser units people use to add a little magic to their tape recordings. it's definitely a new ballgame working to tape. the recordings we've made so far sound really good to us, but all the vocals are "dry", which is cool but not the best thing for every song. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Budget and style of music?

Gustav
_______
Build your own
Old 1st April 2013
Here for the gear

hi. we're definitely more into 60's/70's production than anything else. I realize that there weren't a lot of mass produced effects units during that time though. it was mostly just plate reverb/tape delay/tape flanging...I was curious if there were/are any reverb or delay units made in the last thirty years or so that sound good/retro and are sturdy and dependable. I've heard good things about the AKG reverb units and I have also heard good things about the Eventide units from the 80's.
we have a decent budget of a couple thousand to invest with. thanks for the help.
Old 1st April 2013
Lives for gear

effects units for analog recordingAKG BX5 SPRING REVERB | eBay

effects units for analog recordingKlark Teknik DN50 Dual Channel Vintage Pro Studio Spring Reverb | eBay

I've got nothing to do with the sellers, just stumbled across them while 'bay-watching.
Old 2nd April 2013
Here for the gear

awesome! thanks!
Old 2nd April 2013
Lives for gear
Moog delay, space echo, a good spring or plate, the akg bx 10 and 25 and others are amazing. The bx5 is good, but not amazing. And I use the live room as an echo chamber, and sometimes the small bathroom. If youre going tape without daw, I'd get a decent mix deck as well, which you can also use for delays and echo predelays.
Old 2nd April 2013
Here for the gear

thank so much. do you like the Space Echo more than the Echoplex? i've heard good things about both.
i know they are not really a 70's unit,but have you used the early Eventide H3000 effects processors? i'm very intrigued, but i'm kinda nervous it will sound too 1980's. not that that's a bad thing necessarily, it's just not what i'm looking for.
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear
I haven't messed around much with echoplex, but I think it's better for guitar. Anything Eventide is digital, you need analog. Analog, analog.
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

Try this:

Inexpensive, tweakable and oh so delicious.
Old 7th April 2013
It's mono, and unbalanced presumably, but the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo might be something to look at.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search